Menu

R&S Phonics or straight to spelling?

arwen

This would be for my 6.25, fairly advanced dd. She did a lot of Starfall as a 3 and 4 yo, and I tried to fill in with OPG and some free stuff from Don Potter's page, but she was kind of past it. The girl can read the KJV bible fairly fluently. Is it worthwhile to go through the 2nd grade phonics, or should we skip into the spelling?

This is just what I did. Others may have done it differently. I put my fluent advanced reader into R&S grade 1 when she was about 5.5, starting at the long vowels (2nd unit.) She worked through grade 1 over 1st grade a few days a week. It was easy work for her, but it gave her the rules and the whys behind what she had already figured out how to read. She did the work in just a few min. each morning to begin her day. Then we moved on to the fun stuff. We did the same thing over 2nd grade. She did the 2nd grade phonics in just a few min. each morning to keep it fresh. This year for 3rd grade, I started her in their 4th grade spelling (she hadn't done spelling separately before) and she is doing great. Again she does it in a few min. each morning to keep the phonics rules fresh. I am glad I had her go through the phonics program to give her the rules to memorize. I never regretted having her go through it.