Menu

What type of books do you prefer to read for pleasure? Non-fiction or fiction

What type of books do you like to read for pleasure?  

1. 1. What type of books do you like to read for pleasure?

• Fiction
    • Non-fiction
    • About 50% fiction, 50% non-fiction

I voted 50/50. I tend to alternate between the two fairly evenly. I enjoy learning through non-fiction, but I also love to escape reality for a little while by getting lost in a great (or sometimes not-so-great) fictitious story.

Lisa

I used to read strictly non-fiction in an attempt to better myself. I went back to reading fiction last fall and have learned more about myself than from reading self-help books.

I do still read some non-fiction to help me in one of my hobbies.

I'm a non-fiction junkie.

When I think non-fiction I don't think self help, I think books about science, history, true crime and life stories.

I just recently had to force myself to try and enjoy more fiction. But I'm not quite at 50/50 yet.

I love non-fiction! (Not self-help, though.) I love reading authors like Joseph Campbell, Carl Sagan, Richard Dawkins. And books about education, gardening, photography, etc. I need to give fiction a try, but I have a hard time finding books that appeal to me.

I'm a non-fiction junkie.

When I think non-fiction I don't think self help, I think books about science, history, true crime and life stories.

I think about the categories you listed too...well, really, I guess I include anything that falls outside of the "fiction" category. However, I didn't even think of self-help books...that's probably because I'm beyond help. :lol:

Lisa

and then a friend asked me, "Do you like reading?" I responded, "Yes..." and listed all the studies or homeschool books I'd read. She says, "No, not punishment! I mean for fun!" lol!

She gave me The Red Tent and the Mark of the Lion series and I became hooked! I've been reading Christian fiction like a junkie for a few years now.

I stayed up late last night finishing the first book of THe Mark Of the Lion series and will be starting the 2nd book today. I also have the entire set of Agatha Christie novels (I bought each one used slowly over time). I read them all quite a few years ago and will start reading them over again as I know I have forgotten the plots and endings of each ( I tend to do this with books so it means I can enjoy reading some books over and over again lol).

but then again, I was always an encyclopedia reader growing up. I love learning about people from the past. I think if there had been more historical fiction around when I was a kid, I would have loved it. I do read some fiction, but it generally has to be a good suspense or mystery type book. I really enjoy Dan Brown and Anne Rice for fiction.

I want to know it all and I am such a long way from my goal. I consume about 5 to 10 a week and I haven't even put a dent in all the one available! My fiction is restricted to just a few authors because I only have so much time. I always made time for the new Harry Potters and I will sometimes read a childrens fiction (Series of Unfortunate Events, right now) so I can discuss with dc. I make time for Dave Barry when I need a laugh and I make time for Stephen King when I really need to escape for awhile. He is at least 10 books ahead of me right now and there was a time when I was waiting on his next book so I must need less and less escape as I get older (good, I think).

is the Harry Potter series! I have read them all several times. I spend so much time reading non-fiction in preparing the kid's school work (I will be reading the Histories, the Republic, & the Last Days of Socrates this summer!), that I love to unwind at Hogwarts before bed!

I will be branching out some when I finish this cycle (currently reading book 4)...my ds loves the Bryan Davis series (Dragons in Our Midst & Oracles of Fire) which are Christian fantasy, Chuck Black's Kingdom Series (also Christian fantasy) and all the dragon books from Donita K Paul (more Christian fantasy!)

Hmmm...we seem to have a Dragon theme going here!

Hi Carli!

She gave me The Red Tent and the Mark of the Lion series and I became hooked! I've been reading Christian fiction like a junkie for a few years now.

I LOVE the Mark of the Lion and read The Red Tent, but I wouldn't consider The Red Tent to be Christian fiction. What other Christian fiction do you like? I also like Boede and Brock Thoene and recently read a fabulous book about the persecuted church in China by Randy Alcorn.

:) Cindy

I choose fiction, but it is really more like 75% fiction, 25% non-fiction. I enjoy both.

I mostly read sc-fi. I am drawn to sc-fi that focuses on socio-political matters. In non-fiction I read a lot of science, craft, and history topics. Japanese craft books provide a fun double challenge (the crafts and the language).

I mostly read nonfiction books- there is always something new I want to learn about. If I'm at the beach, I'll have fiction and magazines with me. Oprah is my fave magazine- top notch contemporary writers.

I LOVE the Mark of the Lion and read The Red Tent, but I wouldn't consider The Red Tent to be Christian fiction. What other Christian fiction do you like? I also like Boede and Brock Thoene and recently read a fabulous book about the persecuted church in China by Randy Alcorn.

Not Carli, but I can recommend Lynn Austin as an author if you liked the Mark of the Lion. I have read Wings of Refuge (excellent!), All She Ever Wanted, Eve's Daughters and A Woman's Place. I have a couple on my shelf that I need to read by her and I can't wait to get to. All are historical fiction and have been researched well. A couple of them skip back and forth between the present and the past, but it made for good reading.

Some of my contemporary Christian fiction favorite authors are Deborah Raney, and Susan Meissner.

If you like western historicals, Tracie Peterson and Cathy Marie Hake and Deeanne Gist.

Predominantly nonfiction. I'd guess my fiction intake is maybe 15-20% of what I read in a year. I tend to go on fiction binges and then not touch a novel for weeks or even months. I also prefer to re-read old favorites and classics; most contemporary fiction depresses me.

Not Carli, but I can recommend Lynn Austin as an author if you liked the Mark of the Lion. I have read Wings of Refuge (excellent!), All She Ever Wanted, Eve's Daughters and A Woman's Place. I have a couple on my shelf that I need to read by her and I can't wait to get to. All are historical fiction and have been researched well. A couple of them skip back and forth between the present and the past, but it made for good reading.

Some of my contemporary Christian fiction favorite authors are Deborah Raney, and Susan Meissner.

If you like western historicals, Tracie Peterson and Cathy Marie Hake and Deeanne Gist.

I just read Lynn Austin (several of her books) for the first time. I LOVE her stories! The way she connects the past to the present through generations gets me hooked immediately! Love Cathy Marie Hake and Deanne Gist as well.

I remember hearing an older relative comment that he only read nonfiction back when I was a teenager, and I remember thinking that sounded just awful. Now I almost never read fiction myself:001_smile: I read tons of nonfiction, especially almost anything on linguistics, comparative religion, education, social policy, life sciences, and literary biography. When I do make the investment timewise to sit and enjoy a novel I usually am glad, I just find fiction to require much greater concentration.

All of my reading for pleasure is non-ficton. I only read classic fiction because I have to to educate myself and dc. I have no desire to read modern fiction.

I don't understand reading only classic fiction. Today's modern fiction (at least some of it) will be tomorrow's classic fiction. Isn't familiarity with the best of today's fiction as important a part of being educated as knowing yesterday's fiction?

Not that you have to justify your reading habits to me, of course. I'm just looking to understand your thinking if you wouldn't mind explaining it.:)

When I had children under 3 in the house, I read almost exclusively nonfiction (90/10) because I found interruptions to be less bothersome. I only wish I'd bought my Light Wedge years ago. Now I read mostly fiction (80/20), but as a catch up measure. I'm not yet sated. Prior to children, I'd read about 50/50.