Menu

What did you think your kids would love?

I had a ballerina. She wore a pink leotard and I used to put her blonde hair in a bun. I took her to ballet classes for three and a half years and I watched the older girls and thought that someday dd would be dancing like that.

Then she tried Taekwon-do.

Last week, dd (15) passed her second degree black belt test. She is 5'9 and I don't even recognize her when she's sparring or when she's doing take-downs in self-defence. She's fast and she's strong and she's smart.

I'm so proud of what she has accomplished in Taekwon-do and in the hard work and hours she puts in every week. It's something I never would have guessed she'd fall in love with.

I still feel a little wistful when I read about other people and their dancing daughters, but I know dd wouldn't have loved ballet. She's really found her thing.

Did any of your kids surprise you? What did you envision your kids doing back when they were preschoolers? Did any of them have a completely unexpected interest crop up as they got older?

My son that was going to be a vet now wants to open a restaurant with his wife.

My dd that is a brilliant bring down the house pianist is going to major in business.

The jury is still out on the triplets.

Does your dd still play? That would have been a big surprise for me - that an artsy kid would major in business.

We had a speaker at our convention talk about how our children are arrows and we should trying to figure out what their gifting is and then aim them in that direction. His examples were his two girls. One loved playing with money as a small child so they bought her a pretend cash register and they encouraged her in that direction. She became an accountant. The other loved to play house and said when she grew up she wanted to live on a hill, bake pies, and take them to all the people on her street. She grew up to be a Pastor's wife.

My kids have changed interests dramatically - and they've still got years to go! Dd originally wanted to be a vet and work with horses. Then she wanted to be a TKD instructor, now she thinks she'd like to major in psychology but again, who knows what she'll end up with.

Ds (10) wanted to be a doctor from the time he was four. And he'd be great at it, too. He's always the one to come and look at someone's cut and try to help them (the rest of us are a little squemish). He likes to rub people's feet and he's very sensitive to other people's feelings. I could totally see him working in the health care field. But, now he's saying he doesn't want to be a doctor so my dreams are crushed ;) Unfortunately, he's saying what he really wants to do is retire :glare:

She does still play, she plays all the time and gets even better with her playing. But she's not even going to minor in music. Her piano teacher just about fell over.

She's a renaissance girl. Plays music, quilts and sews, is great with horses, and is on the honors list every semester at college (which she began at 16). Her grandpa wants her to be a doctor too, but she says she doesn't want to work with people.

Now the other dd is artsy too, piano, drawing and takes fantastic pictures. I just can't imagine her doing anything non artsy.

Edited by Remudamom

Does your dd still play? That would have been a big surprise for me - that an artsy kid would major in business.

My brother was one of those kids. We thought he'd go to a conservatory for violin. He was concertmaster for the youth symphony and Mom paid for lessons from the symphony concertmistress. But he chose to study business finance and makes his living in that field.

Not surprised with ds1. We knew he'd do something with engineering or computers--he could do things on the computer that we didn't know how to. He loves to write programs for fun. He is our own personal Geek Squad. :D

Ds2 hasn't shown any particular interests in anything. He'd be good in people-oriented work, though. I'm most curious to see what he pursues as he gets older.

Dd--at 6yo her primary interest is animals. We go to the library weekly and she only gets non-fiction books and videos about animals. She has been doing this for about 3 years now.

I still feel a little wistful when I read about other people and their dancing daughters, but I know dd wouldn't have loved ballet. She's really found her thing.

Did any of your kids surprise you? What did you envision your kids doing back when they were preschoolers? Did any of them have a completely unexpected interest crop up as they got older?

I had to chuckle reading this because I was the ultimate tomboy when I was growing up. When I could get away with it, I wore cowboy boots with my dresses. As soon as my mom wasn't looking I gave away my dolls to the first girl I could pawn them off of.

My mom made me take ballet lessons. I protested through the first two lessons, then I got thrown off my horse and broke my arm (not on purpose) and wore pretty much a body cast from the waist up for a whole summer. Still my mom didn't give up. She sent me back to ballet class. In that cast. Only once.

That was the end of my ballet career.

Almost as bad as ballet in a half body cast was the perm she let my aunt get me. They thought it was cute. I thought it was hideous.

Naturally, with that start in life I wound up with an ultimate girlie girl for a daughter. Only wanted to wear dresses in preschool. Couldn't wait to wear makeup. Would love getting a perm or having her hair highlighted. She's in her 9th year of ballet.

Every once in awhile she does surprise me. She likes watching sci fi more with me than I would have expected.

The kid was born a snob, loved classical music early, only wanted to do things if they were hard . . .

You know, classic over-acheiver type.

She took lessons for a couple of years, but never really loved it. In fact, by the end of the second year, she pretty much hated it. She complained it was boring and she hated that they used "little kid music."

So, she quit.

Meanwhile, my all-boy, loves to take apart electronics to see how they work and build bows and arrows in the backyard son begged to start dance lessons when he was six. Almost seven years later, he's still dancing. He moved to a less ballet-centered studio this year, but only after dancing six Nutcrackers and five other company productions.

All this time later, after years of model rockets (him) and anthropology club meetings (her) and sci-fi conventions (both) and Renaissance faires (both) and all of other things we've exposed them to and hobbies each of them have tried, I now have on my hands two kids who want to be performers.

My daughter is a singer who acts and can dance if you make her. (She has been taking at least one dance class a semester for her last couple of years in college.) My son is a dancer who acts and sings. But they both want to pursue it professionally.

Life is interesting.

We thought my oldest would be an Episcopal Priest. Instead she is a farmer.

We thought my son would be a music major. He wants to go to law school, or get an MBA.

We think Dd 12 will be an artist, but judging from how she treats her little sisters, I think she is going to be a mommy.

I predict that my 4 year old will be our country's first benevolent dictator.

My 1 year old is still too young to make predictions about....so stay tuned.