Menu

Kitchen Table Math or Living Math lessons?

poetic license

DS enjoys math but I want to do some non-workbooky, more "real life" math activities with him. He's in MM 1A and MEP 1 as far as level, which program would we enjoy more?

Kitchen Table Math or the Livingmath.net lessons? It seems that the second are tied more to the history cycle, and we have not started that yet.

If anyone has any information about either of these two programs I'd appreciate it.

Living math is an excellent program, but it is geared to the history of mathematics. It's not a "math" curriculum, just a fun way to learn about where numbers came from and how math has progressed throughout the ages. It teaches us that math is everywhere. But if you're wanting to teach him current math concepts in a living math way, then I would get Kitchen Table Math. It has activities and discusses ways to teach different math concepts without the workbooks. The living math program is more supplemental. Kitchen Table Math is a basic outline of early math concepts and could be used more as a curriculum IMHO.

Living math is an excellent program, but it is geared to the history of mathematics. It's not a "math" curriculum, just a fun way to learn about where numbers came from and how math has progressed throughout the ages. It teaches us that math is everywhere. But if you're wanting to teach him current math concepts in a living math way, then I would get Kitchen Table Math. It has activities and discusses ways to teach different math concepts without the workbooks. The living math program is more supplemental. Kitchen Table Math is a basic outline of early math concepts and could be used more as a curriculum IMHO.

:iagree:

I don't know the answer to this, but maybe someone else will - is Math On the Level something that would be along those lines?

It may be more "life based" curricululm than ideas to incorporate math into real life, I'm not sure. It's something I've heard/read about but not used myself.

I don't know the answer to this, but maybe someone else will - is Math On the Level something that would be along those lines?

It may be more "life based" curricululm than ideas to incorporate math into real life, I'm not sure. It's something I've heard/read about but not used myself.

Math on the Level is great. It has a checklist of all the concepts a student needs to know from k to pre algebra. It has quick lessons/ideas to teach each concept. It also has a recommended sequence for teaching the ,lessons, so you know which concepts build on earlier ones. It's got all the lessons and a way to reviews daily, and a way to keep record of concepts learned. I find myself supplementing a lot to cover the concepts in different ways. We use living math books, sometimes fun workbooks, sometimes AIMS activities, board games, etc. So it's an expensive way to go, but I prefer teaching math this way as opposed to using a curriculum.

To me Kitchen Table Math is very similar. It has the lessons/ideas to cover math concepts from k to grade 6 I believe. It does not have the record to keeping or recommended sequence like MOTL. If you're wanting to see if this type of "living math" works for you, I would buy Kitchen Table Math first and see if you like it. It's much cheaper. However, if you decide it's the way to want to go to teach math through pre algebra I would invest in MOTL. But using Kitchen Table Math and supplementing like I described above would most likely be enough.