Menu

For Tracfone, which is better, the flip phone or the slider and why?

I've been a Tracfone customer for 7 years. I've had candy bar style and flip style Tracfones, but I've never had one of their sliders. I really liked my Motorola flip phone (W260G), but now I'm back to the cheap candy bar style Samsung T105G ($10 included DMFL). I'm surprised by how much I like it! I don't need a camera or web browsing capability, so a no frills phone suits me just fine. The reception in my area and voice quality is very good, and comparable to the Motorola flip phone I broke and had to replace.

Edited to add: Google for online discount codes before you buy. Usually they apply to minutes only, but sometimes there are phone deals too. Never buy/activate minutes without a bonus code!

Edited by jplain

...I hate having to key in a code to unlock the way I would on a bar phone.

Going back to a candy bar phone, I thought this would bug me too. But to lock the keyboard on the Samsung T105G, I press and hold the * key. To unlock it, I do the same. Couldn't be simpler. :)

I think the one-year 400 minute card says right on it that it gives double minutes-is that what you mean? I would love to find a phone discount too!

The 400 minute 1 year card for $99.99 does not include DMFL.

The 800 minute 1-year card for $119.99 includes DMFL.

So if you buy a phone that includes DMFL, you can buy the cheaper 1-year card, and you'll still get 800 minutes plus 1 year service.

If you anticipate using a lot of minutes, check out the web-only PowerPlus (1500 minute + 1 year, $200) and Super Saver cards (1000 minute + 1 year, $160). They do not include DMFL though, so you'd definitely want to make sure your phone has DMFL before buying one of those cards. If you choose a phone that doesn't come with DMFL and want a 1000 or 1500 minute + 1 year card, buy the separate DMFL card for $20 first.

For reference, I don't use my phone often. It is mainly for "urgencies," communicating with family while traveling, and as a means of reaching me at the coffee shop while my kids are at drop-off activities. ;) A 400 minute/1 year card on a DMFL phone is fine for me. That adds up to 1000-1200 minutes for the year, depending on how good the codes are when I purchase.

Edited by jplain