Menu

LoF as a supplement only, or as a stand-alone

knit247

I have found 7 pages of LoF posts through Search - and fully intend to read them, but wanted to go ahead and ask a few questions:

DD#1 has completed SM-EB through SM-3B and is now almost done with SM-4A. She has also completed all six Miquon books. I loved the combination and just assumed that we would continue with SM, adding in LoF as a supplement from here on out.

DD hates math for the most part, even though she is very good at it. At one point she was an entire year "ahead", but now she hates it so much that getting her to complete much of anything within a decent amount of time is a chore. She is actually several weeks "behind" now. FWIW, she is very much a VSL and I have read that she will do much better and like math more once she gets to geometry - and so far she is loving SM fractions. I planned to start LoF Fractions this Fri. - and planned to use it 1x/wk or so as a supplement/fun day.

So, all that to ask: does anyone use LoF as a stand-alone program? If we have been using SM from the start - and it has, for the most part, worked - would you suggest sticking with a SM/LoF combo? Or would it be OK to scrap SM altogether and move to LoF?

Edited by FindingLaurie
spelling

We use SM as our primary and LOF as a supplement (Fractions so far and just started Decimals and Percents). I would not feel comfortable using LOF as a primary program for my boys.

:iagree:

I bought LOF Fractions and LOF Decimals at the beginning of this semester. DD loves them and learned a bunch of stuff from them but they definitely fall into the "supplemental" category for me.

I am planning on using LOF in the fall with my ds. I'll use it as the primary math and then supplement with materials from Math Mommoth's Blue Series. We're really looking forward to it! In the meantime, we're grounding him in the four basic operations using MM (again, Blue Series).

LOF is wonderful for UNDERSTANDING math, and even getting to enjoy it as a subject. (I already know all this math, but still derive great enjoyment from reading the LOF take on it! I love reading along with my son, after he finishes it each day.)

IMO it does not provide the PRACTICE you would want to cement all the concepts. So you either need to supplement LOF with problems, or use LOF as the supplement.

Basically I think LOF is so good that you would not want to miss it, even though I can't really call it stand-alone. I think it adds a lot to the way you can view math.

We are using LOF as our main math program. It has worked great for my kids, and I don't feel they need anything else. However the kids don't do the work on their own. I read the lesson to them, we work through the problems together, and then I give them more problems to do that are similar to the ones they worked on in the book.

We have gone through fractions and decimals so far this year. We started pre-algebra today, and I have to say that my love for LOF is still going strong. How can you not love a math program that not only teaches math, but also biology, logic, and Italian. We covered all those topics in today's lesson.

We started algebra with LOF and used it as our main until we started having problems with understanding and there was not enough practice for my son. We have since switched over to Abeka (easy to get used in our area for really cheap) and he is doing much better.

After realizing that TT was a total bust we are using the LOF fractions with MM Blue series. We will continue this through LOF percents and decimals. Not sure after that. However, I spoke with Stanley Schmidt the other day and he insists that LOF can stand alone especially once you reach the pre-algebra stage.