Menu

OPGTR, I am confused!

cylau

My daughter is going to be first grade in the fall. I am thinking of bringing her home to homeschool her. She is currently reading at around early 2nd grade level. I am planning to use WWE and FLL. Does she need OPGTR? I understand that OPGTR is for learning how to read. If she is already reading fluently, then I assume she doesn't need it. What is the next step after OPGTR? Should the next step be a formal spelling program like AAS?

OPGTR takes a child to 4th grade reading level, but if you are already planning to do AAS, I'd skip OPGTR and let AAS be your phonics. That's what I did when we switched, and just doing the first level, my son's reading improved. We really like the program. Just make sure you go ahead and get level 2 or are prepared to get it soon, because level 1 can go fast.

I LOVE AAS!

Btw, I pulled my son out of school at Christmas time, halfway through first grade. It was the best decision I could have made, academically. I've seen so much improvement in the last 6 weeks! Good luck, and I hope you see the same improvement!

We brought our daughter home after her K year as well. She was reading well but I had concerns about stopping phonics too soon and causing problems later on, so for her first grade year we did OPGTR. We started at blends, knowing that it would be very easy for her, and flew through the book. Some days we did one lesson and some days we did two or three. We easily finished before the year was done. We did WWE 1 and FLL 1 at the same time. We then moved on to AAS 1 & 2 in her second grade year. She was reading well so it was easy to get the first two levels done in one year.

I hope our experience is helpful!

Alexandra

My daughter is going to be first grade in the fall. I am thinking of bringing her home to homeschool her. She is currently reading at around early 2nd grade level. I am planning to use WWE and FLL. Does she need OPGTR? I understand that OPGTR is for learning how to read. If she is already reading fluently, then I assume she doesn't need it. What is the next step after OPGTR? Should the next step be a formal spelling program like AAS?

What is AAS? Thanks!