Menu

Is CLE math more advanced than Saxon?

12Stars

My 3rd grader is doing MCP math, we are half way through. I feel like there has not been enough time on each area. It jumps around too much and on chapter tests she has to remember certain problems that she has not worked on in a while. No matter how much we review, she is not retaining. I am thinking because the lessons are short and don't spiral. We were doing Singapore, but I wanted her to be more independent. I thought MCP would be the middle of the road between Singapore and get her ready for Saxon.

My 5th grader is doing Saxon 5/4 and she fairly enjoys her lessons, she is able to retain much of what she has learned through Saxon this year. I am very pleased with the progress she has made. There is a lot of reviewing over and over, that has been key. At times a bit of overkill.

She was previously doing TT and that was not really working out because she was not remembering much of what she had learned, it jumped around to much as well. I have tried Math Mammoth with her and that was not successful. She does have ADD, but this year she has been able to really enjoy what she is learning in math so far.

So I never had seen CLE till I stumbled upon it here on this forum. It looks wonderful.

Compared to Saxon it seems more advanced, am I wrong?

We only have experience with Saxon 5/4, and the lessons can take quite a while to finish sometimes two hours. Then there is my 3rd grade daughter that liked Singapore but I wanted more of a spiral approach. Just so she would not forget so quickly the concepts that she has learned.

I know I can have them take the placement tests, but looking over the samples I can tell right away that 3rd grade MCP concepts begin in 2nd grade for CLE.

I like the biblical notations as well. Anyhow I hope I made some sense.

I am all :bigear:

DD has used several math programs including Saxon, and we finally settled on CLE for her. Saxon was a disaster, but CLE turned my math-phobic child into a math lover. Because of this, I tried DS (my math lover) on CLE. It went fine for a while but he really didn't need all of the review and came to strongly dislike CLE because of it. After he had finished unit 406 I gave him a Saxon placement test and a TT placement test. He placed ready for Saxon 7/6 and TT 7.

HOWEVER, now dd is in CLE's Sunrise Algebra 1 (we did skip the 800 level), and while she's doing fine, I doubt that I can say she would be ready to skip to anything higher in Saxon.

SO, I'm guessing that CLE runs "ahead" in the early grades but levels out later.

HTH :)

DD has used several math programs including Saxon, and we finally settled on CLE for her. Saxon was a disaster, but CLE turned my math-phobic child into a math lover. Because of this, I tried DS (my math lover) on CLE. It went fine for a while but he really didn't need all of the review and came to strongly dislike CLE because of it. After he had finished unit 406 I gave him a Saxon placement test and a TT placement test. He placed ready for Saxon 7/6 and TT 7.

HOWEVER, now dd is in CLE's Sunrise Algebra 1 (we did skip the 800 level), and while she's doing fine, I doubt that I can say she would be ready to skip to anything higher in Saxon.

SO, I'm guessing that CLE runs "ahead" in the early grades but levels out later.

HTH :)

It does look more advanced in the younger grades, and I think you are right about the leveling off later on. I will be switching my dd in 3rd grade asap. Keeping our dd in 5th grade still with Saxon and possibly switching her over next year, or maybe sooner.

I was thinking if we just started in the 200 for my dd, that would be fine and actually help her regain her confidence in math when she knows a concept. Working over the summer and getting her to be in the 300 by the start of next year.

Are the lessons shorter in CLE than in Saxon?

Are the lessons shorter in CLE than in Saxon?

I don't remember about the younger grades. I do know that the CLE Algebra usually has 40-50 problems -- sometimes more. It seems like that's more than Saxon, but it's been quite awhile since I've looked at a Saxon Algebra book. Of course, CLE doesn't mind if you choose to skip problems that you are sure your child knows well.

Are you beta testing the Sunrise edition of Algebra? I was under the impression that they were just in the process of creating it and that it wasn't available yet.

Yes, we are helping test it this year. It's very challenging! :)

Cool! We are really enjoying CLE. We just began using it in January, but I think we'll continue it throughout. Sorry to have hijacked the thread. :001_smile:

Edited by Dawn E
"d'oh" spelling moment