Menu

Which Sadlier-Oxford vocab book do you prefer?

I liked Vocabulary Workshop enough that I'm planning to use it again next year. However, it hasn't taken us a whole year to finish (we're almost done with this year's), so I'm going to finish out the year with something else. I have a copy of Vocabulary for Success that I might work in this year, or maybe next.

My DH swears that the Vocabulary Workshop books he did as part of his Catholic school education helped him tremendously with the SAT. He wants me to use them after my DD finishes MCT's Caesar's English books.

:iagree:

I believe it–I'm convinced of the same thing, just insert 'private' for 'Catholic.' I want to use them for mine; simple, but effective.

So, a motivated student might be able to do both in one year?

Did you start with grade level? Or should you start with the 6th grade level regardless of your dc's level?

Even though my kids are strong on language arts, I started at grade level (I think) -- colors/letters, I hope I got it right! And it seemed a good fit. But I'm thinking I can do both books next year. They seem different enough that it won't seem like "more of the same." I like how the words are used in a variety of ways.

Oh, I'm sorry I misunderstood a bit -- we did not go back to the beginning, we started where I thought they should be, so yes, at Grade Level.

Edited by Trish

My daughter is taking advanced freshman English this semester, and her class is using Vocabulary Workshop D. They are doing it in one semester (block scheduling so she has a double-period every day), and I can ask her about the scheduling. She likes it - I reviewed the unit with her last night and I was surprised that I didn't know a couple of the words. She reads a LOT, but there were many she really didn't know so it's a good stretch for her. I see the website has games & activities as well.

My daughter is taking advanced freshman English this semester, and her class is using Vocabulary Workshop D. They are doing it in one semester (block scheduling so she has a double-period every day), and I can ask her about the scheduling.

Yes, could you ask her if she feels she is maintaining good retention with doing it in only one semester...that she doesn't feel too rushed? Thanks!

My DH swears that the Vocabulary Workshop books he did as part of his Catholic school education helped him tremendously with the SAT. He wants me to use them after my DD finishes MCT's Caesar's English books.

This is the program we used before MCT's Caesar's English. We have reached a point in MCT's Magic Lens, Vol. 1 book where ds is just not learning the 25 new roots on top of all of the previous ones. We are returning to Sadlier for a while, then we will give Magic Lens another go. All of my children used Sadlier early on at their Catholic school. In 5th grade dd scored in the 12th grade plus range on vocabulary for the Stanford test. I know it works and it is easy to administer.

This is the program we used before MCT's Caesar's English. We have reached a point in MCT's Magic Lens, Vol. 1 book where ds is just not learning the 25 new roots on top of all of the previous ones. We are returning to Sadlier for a while, then we will give Magic Lens another go. All of my children used Sadlier early on at their Catholic school. In 5th grade dd scored in the 12th grade plus range on vocabulary for the Stanford test. I know it works and it is easy to administer.

Swimmermom3,

We just finished Caesar's English II. When I looked at the online sample of WWW, I thought there was a huge jump in terms of the amount of material covered in a year. I am contemplating on using Sadlier for a year or two before doing WWW. Which level of Sadlier do you think is good to start after Caesar's English II?

Swimmermom3,

We just finished Caesar's English II. When I looked at the online sample of WWW, I thought there was a huge jump in terms of the amount of material covered in a year. I am contemplating on using Sadlier for a year or two before doing WWW. Which level of Sadlier do you think is good to start after Caesar's English II?

I just ordered the 8th grade book for my 7th grader, but we are into the second half of 7th grade and the book will probably take us into the start of 8th grade. Previously, I used it at grade level and the kids tested several grades ahead. We'll probably add a couple of the MCT roots or at least keep reviewing what we have learned this year. The leap from CE to WWW is substantial. Honestly, I think any vocabulary program would be a let down for us after CE II. In talking with other board members that have used WWW, I found out that a couple of them take at least two weeks to cover one lesson. That is more doable. I have considered going back and taking a couple of roots and learning two full words and their meanings per root. I wish we could have hung in a little bit longer because full words do show up in a later lesson. Maybe I should meander over to the RFP forum and find out if WWW, Vol. 1 is part of the revised materials and if so, what the changes are.

• 1 month later...

swimmermom, can I ask if you buy the sadlier vocabulary books directly from their site, or is there another place (like Rainbow Resource) that you can get them. Having asked that, I know that Rainbow doesn't carry them, but I am trying to figure out who else does. Also, are you able to get the test booklets individually?

Thank you ladies. I just wondered if they were available elsewhere. That's alright if they are not. I DO wish they had samples available to view Grade 2 - 4 (the colors workbooks... I think they are purple, green, etc.) When I click on the sample pages all I see are the grade 5 options and I am trying to place my younger ds (8) who is in between 2 & 3 right now in one of the levels.

I am looking into this Vocabulary program too...is it true you can't purchase the TE unless you send in your teachers certificate? Do I need the TE?

I don't know about the first question, but I don't think you'd need the TE :001_smile: I'm able to check my dd16's answers and she's in the very last book of the series.

I DO wish they had samples available to view Grade 2 - 4 (the colors workbooks... I think they are purple, green, etc.) When I click on the sample pages all I see are the grade 5 options and I am trying to place my younger ds (8) who is in between 2 & 3 right now in one of the levels.

:iagree: I am having the same problem for younger ds. If you want to at least see the words for each level, you can try looking here-they have them in the games. Not very helpful, I know, but at least it's something:

http://www.sadlier-oxford.com/vocabulary/levels_color.cfm?sp=student

Thanks for letting us know where to buy them!

If it helps re: the younger grades, Green, and Orange are organized in exactly the same manner as Blue - 18 units. Each unit begins with a two-page reading section, followed by two pages of definitions and sentences, followed by more sentences, synonyms, antonyms and word study.

From what I can tell the vocabulary words seem to be ahead of typical grade level ... at least from what I can tell with the games Happy Grace pointed me to. Thanks for those by the way as they did help! So, if I am wrong and my 8 year old could easily step into Green level, then I am thinking I will stick with Purple for him and Blue (5th) for dd10. And apparently I don't need the TE?

swimmermom, can I ask if you buy the sadlier vocabulary books directly from their site, or is there another place (like Rainbow Resource) that you can get them. Having asked that, I know that Rainbow doesn't carry them, but I am trying to figure out who else does. Also, are you able to get the test booklets individually?

I buy directly from the site and only the workbook. I can usually correct it myself quickly with few issues. I did notice that for the first time, they have home school materials which is nice and much more affordable if you do need the answers. I make my own tests.

I don't know if anyone else has had this issue, but the shipping is $7 for one small book. I wouldn't mind paying that if it didn't take as long as 10 days just like media mail for nearly twice the cost and the book is not quite $12 and very lightweight.

I don't know if anyone else has had this issue, but the shipping is $7 for one small book. I wouldn't mind paying that if it didn't take as long as 10 days just like media mail for nearly twice the cost and the book is not quite $12 and very lightweight.

Yes, the shipping is high. Last summer I ordered one book and my dsis ordered two (afterschooler) to share the shipping. It was still cheaper than buying through amazon sellers. This year I'm going to order the next three books for dd.