Menu

Please help settle this-- lol

What do you call the last meal of the day?  

1. 1. What do you call the last meal of the day?

• Supper
    • Dinner

What do you call the last meal of the day? Poll to follow.

3 family members in my house say supper

3 say dinner.. will you settle this life or death argument for us?? LOL

BTW- Im nost saying who says what for now, I will later ;)

Sorry- no other LOL... If you have an other please post it

OK quick ETA as I see there is a geographical difference maybe, what part of the country/world are you in?

Edited by wy_kid_wrangler04

Growing up, dinner for my folks was the main meal and that could happen mid day more often than not. So, super was alwaysthe last meal of the day regardless on its size! But, my folks were Yankees, or at least my Dad was so maybe that had something to do with it?

Dinner is the main meal of the day, whether it's in the middle or near the end of the day. If in the middle, then the evening meal is supper. If in the evening, then the noon meal is lunch.

Unless you're a hobbit...

Breakfast

second breakfast

elevensies

luncheon

afternoon tea

dinner

supper...

My dad grew up on a farm and they ate: Breakfast, Dinner (noontime), Supper

I kind of always thought people who said dinner and supper (instead of lunch and dinner) were from a farming background. I think dinner was the biggest meal of the day, since they were working hard and needed a big meal at noon.

Most city-folk eat their biggest meal of the day in the evening. So I think that dinner is a name for the biggest meal of the day. If you're on the farm that's at noon (and then you have supper at night) and if you're in the city it's at night. Of course not that many people are still farming, but I think they still use the terms they grew up with.

Of course I might be all wrong. And what about British who say "tea" for certain meals, and I'm always unsure which meals are "tea" or if it is all meals!

My dad grew up on a farm and they ate: Breakfast, Dinner (noontime), Supper

I kind of always thought people who said dinner and supper (instead of lunch and dinner) were from a farming background. I think dinner was the biggest meal of the day, since they were working hard and needed a big meal at noon.

Most city-folk eat their biggest meal of the day in the evening. So I think that dinner is a name for the biggest meal of the day. If you're on the farm that's at noon (and then you have supper at night) and if you're in the city it's at night. Of course not that many people are still farming, but I think they still use the terms they grew up with.

Of course I might be all wrong. And what about British who say "tea" for certain meals, and I'm always unsure which meals are "tea" or if it is all meals!

To my understanding, tea is the meal between lunch and dinner(supper). It occurs about 4p. with dinner(supper) later in the evening - about 8p

Here is a wiki link to tea and in the right hand menu bar are links to what breakfast, brunch, lunch, tea, dinner and supper are in various areas of the world.

Amoung the upper classes in Britain the meals used to go like this:

breakfast--breaking your fast

lunch or nuncheon--the noon time meal

tea--middle of the day of course

dinner--evening meal

supper is served at midnight

Or at least that is how it is explained in all those Regency novels I read and I've read hundreds and hundreds of them.

:001_smile:

Amoung the upper classes in Britain the meals used to go like this:

breakfast--breaking your fast

lunch or nuncheon--the noon time meal

tea--middle of the day of course

dinner--evening meal

supper is served at midnight

Or at least that is how it is explained in all those Regency novels I read and I've read hundreds and hundreds of them.

:001_smile:

How often do they eat at midnight? :001_huh:

I grew up in western MD saying breakfast, dinner, and supper. Now I say breakfast, lunch, and dinner unless I'm visiting my mom, in which case I revert to breakfast, dinner, and supper.

ETA: Someone mentioned breakfast, dinner, and supper being indicative of a farming background. I grew up on a farm. Our biggest meal of the day was supper, not dinner.

Edited by LizzyBee

Dinner is the main meal of the day, whether it's in the middle or near the end of the day. If in the middle, then the evening meal is supper. If in the evening, then the noon meal is lunch.

Breakfast

second breakfast

elevensies

luncheon

afternoon tea

dinner

supper...

:iagree:This is the absolutely correct answer.:yesnod:

I say dinner. In my world I have breakfast, lunch and dinner. Dh says supper. He thinks of dinner as a formal lunch - Thanksgiving dinner, Christmas dinner. In his world there is breakfast, lunch, dinner and supper.

This is my world......... sort of. Dinner is earlier in the day, if we're supping early then it's dinner :lol:

We call it dinner (suburban Chicago), but my parents grew up calling it supper (northern Wisconsin, UP Michigan). My sister, who moved to the farm 15 years ago had learned to call the midday meal dinner and the last meal supper - but only on Sundays and only when going to her SIL's house (a fabulous cook who can whip up a pork chop dinner for 12 with 30 minutes notice.)

Growing up, dinner for my folks was the main meal and that could happen mid day more often than not. So, super was alwaysthe last meal of the day regardless on its size! But, my folks were Yankees, or at least my Dad was so maybe that had something to do with it?

Ditto. Except my family is from the south, so definitely not some Yankee thing.

I call it both, just depends on my mood... :)

:iagree:

lunch = lunch

supper = supper

dinner = whichever meal is the main meal of the day

My dad always told me that dinner was whichever was the largest meal of the day. In our house that is typically going to be the last meal of the day, unless of course, it's a holiday or a Sunday. Then, dinner would more likely occur earlier, around 2. On a day to day basis, I use both dinner and supper - haven't noticed that I have a pattern, but just tend to interchange them.

Growing up it was:

Mon-Sat

Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner

Sunday

Breakfast, Sunday Dinner, Tea

Sunday Dinner is a formal affair, eaten in the dining room on good china with one's best manners. The meal is usually roast beef, potatoes, Yorkshire Puddings, gravy, broccoli or cauliflower. And there is usually a very good Dessert course.

Breakfast

second breakfast

elevensies

luncheon

afternoon tea

dinner

supper...