Menu

Anyone do both MCT AND FLL/WWE?!

CarrieF

And if so, what are your reasons?! AND what have your experiences with using both been like?!

Background: my firstborn son went through FLL 1&2 (old edition) and then just seemed to become a little (pretty!) bored when we got to FLL 3. He is gifted (especially so in language), so a friend recommended MCT. We have LOVED the creativity and the content, but I am finding that because it is so creatively presented and the only practice is the 4 part sentence analysis that we can't miss it for more than a day or two without having to go back and review. (Not to mention the fact that there are no clear-cut lessons laid out or plan to follow!)

One of the things I appreciated most about the FLL books is the repetition and the memorization (which upon my recent re-reading of TWTM, I was reminded that I have NOT been doing!), so I am toying with the idea of SOMEHOW using both curricula for our LA. Unfortunately for me, it seems that both curricula seem to be pretty teacher intensive and with the other 3 dc to tend to and teach, this seems pretty daunting. I REALLY wish there was a curriculum that was a perfect marriage of these two wonderful programs!!! (Dream world side note.)

ANY thoughts/experiences/ideas would be welcome! (Even if you think I am crazy for this idea!) :D

Thanks!

My oldest ds is using MCT Island with WWE 2/3 (we got behind on the WWE) and also some GUM from other sources (part of Daily Language Review and part of K12's GUM lessons/practice). We continue with WWE because, like mentioned, it is really a different skill set. We use the other GUM books because, as much as we love Grammar Island/Practice Island, it really is not a complete GUM course. In fact there is almost no punctuation at all. Things like Daily Language Review also cover things like homophones, synonyms, uh... I'm trying to rack my brain - analogies, editing.... None of that is found in Grammar Island/Practice Island.

My ds8 uses WWE and MCT Island Level. I find the programmes so different and really like using both. I didn't use FLL with him, but I am thinking of adding it next year as he still is lacking in his foundational grammar skills. I am a little worried about the teacher intensive part though.... if only I didn't have three other younger children:tongue_smilie:

My ds8 uses WWE and MCT Island Level. I find the programmes so different and really like using both. I am a little worried about the teacher intensive part though.... if only I didn't have three other younger children:tongue_smilie:

:iagree:I so agree - that is exactly where we are, too! I HAVE been doing WWE-3 twice a week because I think the narration/summary is so important. It is really the addition of FLL that has me squeamish - as far as the time goes. I am wondering if it is possible to just use the vocab. and poetics part of MCT, then use FLL and WWE for the grammar and writing?! Why, oh why, can't it be easy?! Just for ONE child?!?! :tongue_smilie:

We use MCT Island this year but have already gone through most all of it, except finishing Practice Island. Instead of finishing that book, I am picking and choosing sentences. We use WWE3, but sometimes substitute passages from our schoolwork rather than using the workbook. And I am also using FLL3. I am NOT doing all of it. We skip the poem memorization, copywork and dictation, and narration of FLL. We use the grammar portions only, and are going through 1-2 lessons at a time, 3 times per week.

It might seem teacher intensive at first glance, but it has not proved to be here. The lessons are very quick to go through but I feel they are great reinforcement.

I've used FLL 1/2, and I'm not convinced it's all that teacher intensive, really (particularly compared with WWE and MCT :D). Or maybe it's just about the same, and I can see how that might be too much. :tongue_smilie:

Anyway, as an alternative, I know at least one person here combines Growing With Grammar with MCT, and I'd suggest that as a potentially less intense supplement. It has a small manual and a workbook, and I think you could turn both over to your child, or go over the manual together (short lessons) and then set the child loose on the WB, reviewing together afterward.

Good luck deciding!

I've used FLL 1/2, and I'm not convinced it's all that teacher intensive, really (particularly compared with WWE and MCT :D). Or maybe it's just about the same, and I can see how that might be too much. :tongue_smilie:

Anyway, as an alternative, I know at least one person here combines Growing With Grammar with MCT, and I'd suggest that as a potentially less intense supplement. It has a small manual and a workbook, and I think you could turn both over to your child, or go over the manual together (short lessons) and then set the child loose on the WB, reviewing together afterward.

Good luck deciding!

Okay, if you promise not to laugh . . . I AM USING GWG, too!!! :lol: This has been one of those, "What in the world am I THINKING?!" sort of decisions/lack of decision/indecisiveness, etc. I was just telling my friend Jina (who is also on the board) that my problem is pure and simple greed: I just want to have ALL of these programs so I can pull out what I think is the BEST and use that part. If I had 48 hours in ONE day, I'd just create my own curriculum! Ha! Ha!

Oh I'm right there with you. I have had to resist the temptation to get GWG. I'm using FLL, WWE, Sentence Composing, and some of the MCT components.

It's just ridiculous, isn't it?! The thing I have appreciated so much about GWG is how easy it is for my son to do on his own. :001_smile: He told me today it is his favorite LA component, so I guess that is one decision down: stick with GWG! Ha! Ha! I joke that if I won the lottery most (if not all!) of my winnings would be spent on books and curriculum . . . but how can I win if I don't play?!? :lol: