Menu

Another important dh-dw issue:

What do you use to wash dishes in the sink?

There are sponges, washcloths, & brushy-scrubber things--like a hairbrush.

One of us thinks one is unsanitary beyond belief; the other feels exactly opposite. One of us thinks that washing washcloths in the washing machine (hot water & vinegar & soap) is sufficient; the other thinks washing scrubbers/sponges under hot, running water w/ dish soap is sufficient.

We had to temporarily drop the issue because we were both so red in the face & SURE we were right. :001_huh:

An acceptable compromise/alternative would be welcome. (Along w/ scientific evidence that I am right.) ;)

TIA

Edited by Aubrey

No scientific evidence -- I prefer a sponge. I throw it in the dishwasher once in awhile and then change out for new ones when the time comes. My mom used wash cloths growing up, and to me they just get icky/slimy and I'm not convinced the clothes washing machine gets all that ick out.

{ Are we on the same side? }

Edited by milovaný

I'm in the washcloth that gets washed in the laundry camp, but I don't have any science to back it up. I get out a clean dry one every time I wash dishes and then when I am done I toss it in the laundry. I think it may be cleaner because it is dry and goes through the dryer.....I have read somewhere that sponges are a great place for bacteria and stuff to breed because they stay warm and wet and since a kitchen sink is a pretty germy place the germs just crawl back onto the sponge when it cools a bit. I don't have a reference for that, though. I think the same article said something about microwaving the sponge and letting it dry completely before using it again......too much of a pain for me.

We use Scotch-Brite-type scrub sponges. I think that washcloths are probably more sanitary, but I hatehatehate using them (I keep trying, but still hate them), and I prefer the scour power of the scrub sponges. I throw them in the dishwasher periodically, or soak them and put them in the microwave on high for a minute when I think they need it. I was raised in a household that used them, as was DH, and I've used them since I started washing my own dishes. They've not made anyone I know noticeably sicker. We're generally a pretty hardy bunch and are rarely sick (with the exception of the stomach virus mostly likely picked up in the grocery store playroom this past week :glare:).

Thankfully DH and I are in agreement on this issue!

Washcloths with the scrubby thing on one side. I get a new one out every time I wash dishes. I wash them in the washer with my towels. Soap and water. That's all. If anyone has a problem with it, they are welcome to come take over the dishwashing chore!

Guest CarolineUK

I prefer a sponge with a scrub side, although we also have wash cloths for wiping down. DH uses wash cloths on the rare occasions he washes dishes (badly). We mostly use the dishwasher. The wash cloths I soak in a detergent/mild bleach solution for half an hour once a week - my mother used to boil them in such a solution (healthy working class phobia of dirt), while my mil uses her wash cloths for just about everything (including mopping dog sick) and never washes them (very different background).

I'm in the camp of not trusting sponges, period. Once it looks old and used up... out it goes and a new one in its place. Of course, I buy my scrubbie sponges at ALDI for 99 cents for a 2-pack. ;) The sponge usually lasts under 2 months -- but it is only used for washing dishes (before loading them into the dishwasher). I also have a handle brush scrub (from the Dollar Store) to really clean pots and pans that I do not want to use with the sponge. For really dirty or stubborn stains on pans or pots -- I use SOS pads (cut in half) for the job then use the same SOS pad to clean my stainless steel sink really good. (I'm cheap. LOL)

I have another rag (handmade -- crocheted dishcloth) under the sink on a hook used exclusively for wiping down the countertops. Ditto for kitchen towels. One is for wiping clean hands and the other is only for wiping spills. I toss rag and towels in the laundry toot suite. I also have paper towels too... but it pains me to use them for hands and spills as they are very costly. LOL HTH

Edited by tex-mex

I've also heard about the sponge in the microwave. Dd18 learned it in nutrition class. We use a scrubber sponge and put it in the dishwasher. We only use it to scrub food off a plate or pot that we don't think the dishwasher will clean.

We occasionally use rags for countertop cleaning but they go immediately in the hamper afterwards. I don't think of rags cleaned in the washer/dryer as being unsanitary. To me, they are no different than socks, underwear, washrags and towels. They can all get icky. I wash them in hot water with bleach and feel good about it.

Something like this is what I use, but I get mine at WalMart.

http://www.crateandbarrel.com/kitchen-and-food/utility-cleaning/set-of-2-scour-dishcloths/s575634

Fascinating, thank you! I've never seen them before! Part of my annoyance with dishrags is the floppiness and lack of structure, but if I could get past that, the kind you linked would be terrific. I'll have to track some down to try out.

Thanks!

Fascinating, thank you! I've never seen them before! Part of my annoyance with dishrags is the floppiness and lack of structure, but if I could get past that, the kind you linked would be terrific. I'll have to track some down to try out.

Thanks!

Well, honestly, the scrubby part of it is nowhere near as good as the scrubby side of a sponge. But I don't like sponges. They feel weird. :D

We have had the same debate here, but since I do a heck of a lot more dishes than dh, I have it my way. I do not like washcloths, they are too floppy and don't retain soap well. I like a scrubby sponge. I do think sponges are more likely to harbor bacteria, but I can't stand using washcloths. I run my sponges through the dishwasher and don't keep them terribly long. I have tried the scrubby-backed washcloth, when I was trying to compromise with dh, but I can't get past the lack of substance in my hand.

Incidentally, this is also why I detest those wipey-things, like Chlorox wipes, etc. I clean with cleaning cloths that are structurally similar to thick, terry washcloths. The wipes just don't have enough substance between my hand and whatever I'm cleaning.

No scientific evidence -- I prefer a sponge. I throw it in the dishwasher once in awhile and then change out for new ones when the time comes. My mom used wash cloths growing up, and to me they just get icky/slimy and I'm not convinced the clothes washing machine gets all that ick out.

{ Are we on the same side? }

:iagree: We do the same.

I've a dish cloth, a scrub brush and steal wool. I find that the scrub brush and the steal wool will NOT clean grease.

I won't use a sponge. They are IMO nasty.

The dish cloth gets washed in the washing machine with towels. If a towel is clean enough to put on my body after being washed then a dish cloth is clean enough to clean dishes.

There are sponges, washcloths, & brushy-scrubber things.

One of us thinks one is unsanitary beyond belief; the other feels exactly opposite. One of us thinks that washing washcloths in the washing machine (hot water & vinegar & soap) is sufficient; the other thinks washing scrubbers/sponges under hot, running water w/ dish soap is sufficient.

We had to temporarily drop the issue because we were both so red in the face & SURE we were right. :001_huh:

An acceptable compromise/alternative would be welcome. (Along w/ scientific evidence that I am right.) ;)

TIA

Haven't read any other replies yet...

Our dishwasher does most of the work, but for cloths & scrubbies:

normal dishcloth: used for most things. gets tossed into the laundry if it's been used on gross stuff, soaped/rinsed/hung over the tap for more use if it's just been used on normal stuff.

I don't put vinegar in the washer, just laundry soap. I hate cleaning anything with vinegar because it makes me HUNGRY. I love fries dipped in vinegar. And steamed spinach with vinegar. And brussel sprouts with vinegar. You get the idea. :p

I don't have any brushes or sponges for dishes - I usually have a few plastic round scrubbies (or SOS pads), and sometimes these rough green things... lifespan on those depends on how gross they get. (they get tossed as they aren't for the washer)

:001_huh: What is this invention you speak of? Can you share an example? I've never seen such a thing but would be interested!

They're just cheap washclothes from Walmart, Dollar Store, Target, etc. Just washcloth with a netting on the back to help as a scrubby.

My father specialized in food safety. He was one of those people who went around and inspected restaurants, grocery stores, etc. (and we NEVER ate out as a child). He said to NEVER use a sponge in the sink--you might as well clean your sink with a dead chicken. He said that they are almost impossible to clean; you must use boiling water, bleach, etc. He said that doing things like putting them in the dishwasher to clean them could make them even worse--they stay damp enough and warm enough to be perfect breeding ground for bacteria.

I use a dish washcloth (the kind with a net/scrubby side on one side). I use it for a day or two and then put in the laundry. I bleach them and then wash again with the towels in hot water.

I am very particular about its use and care. My dh knows better than try to wipe up something "contraband" with it. My dh thinks I am ocd about it, but whatever :glare:

I like the scotch sponges with the scrubby side. I buy them at Costco so that I always have plenty. We throw it in the dishwasher a couple of times and then toss them. They don't last long because I toss them pretty quickly. I hate when they smell, and once they smell they don't last long even after being tossed in the dishwasher.

I tried switching to dish cloths but I hate them. They are too big and unwieldy. And where do you put all those wet cloths to mildew until you have a load to throw them in? That's what would happen here at least.

We use dishrags/bar mops, which get changed out daily (or when I decide they're getting icky). They get thrown in the wash on cold with Tide Coldwater along with everything else unless they're REALLY nasty; then they'll get thrown in a quick rinse on hot with just themselves, then washed in a cold load with the rest--or with the baby coming, they might get thrown in on hot with the diapers.

I don't separate colors, either. I'm a lazy laundry lady.

No one in the house much likes sponges or scrubbers; we do have steel wool for scrubbing our stainless steel pots/pans. The only dispute there is that I am forever digging it out from the bottom of piles of dishes in the sink, where it gets icky and then needs much rinsing. If people just rinsed it off and set it on the BACK OF THE SINK when they were done with it...

yeah. DH and DW#2 generally tell me to :chillpill:. I do get peevish about my pet peeves, but both of them have worked for years in professional food service and know perfectly well how to clean a kitchen, even if it's not the way my mother taught me. Esp. since I realize I'm CHANNELING my MOTHER, eek!:tongue_smilie:

There are sponges, washcloths, & brushy-scrubber things.

TIA

I've heard sponges are worse, but both are disgusting. I say use what you want and take a new one each day. Washing sponge in hot water and dish soap would be fine but for how long should be the question? Is is washed separately like you would your clothing and not in the dish water? Clothing is just washed with laundry soap for the purpose of being less harsh on your clothing. If either of you would clean your undies in dish soap and hot water for the same length of time if takes to clean the sponge and you're both okay with it, then I'd say it's long enough. But my thoughts are dryers also help with disinfecting.

I don't think either of you are right or wrong. Take a new one daily or every 2...or just smell it.

Oh, I just thought of something. You know those little brown plastic scrapers that you get when you buy stonewear from Pampered Chef? I use those on ALL my dishes.

I use these, too! They are great on all kinds of pans, not just stone bakeware. I bought 2 or 3 more at the last Pampered Chef party I went too, because somehow they're always getting lost.

Washcloths with the scrubby thing on one side. I get a new one out every time I wash dishes. I wash them in the washer with my towels. Soap and water. That's all. If anyone has a problem with it, they are welcome to come take over the dishwashing chore!

The problem w/ this is that although I do many more dishes than dh, he does some. His item of choice is disgusting, & I want it out. of. my. sink. So I occasionally throw his out. He inevitably does dishes the next day & begins to rant, or worse--tries to save it. :svengo:

Both options, however, are made *much* worse by children who do not properly handle them, ie, leave them at the bottom of a nasty sink. *Children.* Ahem.

I prefer a sponge with a scrub side, although we also have wash cloths for wiping down. DH uses wash cloths on the rare occasions he washes dishes (badly). We mostly use the dishwasher. The wash cloths I soak in a detergent/mild bleach solution for half an hour once a week - my mother used to boil them in such a solution (healthy working class phobia of dirt), while my mil uses her wash cloths for just about everything (including mopping dog sick) and never washes them (very different background).

:ack2:

No scientific evidence here, either...but I prefer to use wash cloths. I typically use one cloth a day, unless cleaning something particularly gross (like chicken/meat juice). I wash the cloths with hot water in the washing machine.

Washcloth with scrubbie back. Toss them in the laundry each day and get a fresh one for the next day. I hate sponges. Since I'm the one who does the dishes, I decide :D

Yes, this!

I've heard horror stories of sponges breeding germs, and microwaving them makes them smell. I have about a dozen washcloths with a mesh layer attached, and change them out each day or when they've touched "meat juice." I toss them in a bucket in the laundry room and add them to the next load of lights. I just wash with normal detergent, warm water.

My father specialized in food safety. He was one of those people who went around and inspected restaurants, grocery stores, etc. (and we NEVER ate out as a child). He said to NEVER use a sponge in the sink--you might as well clean your sink with a dead chicken. He said that they are almost impossible to clean; you must use boiling water, bleach, etc. He said that doing things like putting them in the dishwasher to clean them could make them even worse--they stay damp enough and warm enough to be perfect breeding ground for bacteria.

:lol: I don't know why that cracked me up so much. I almost want to use it as my Facebook status :tongue_smilie:

We have had the same debate here, but since I do a heck of a lot more dishes than dh, I have it my way. I do not like washcloths, they are too floppy and don't retain soap well. I like a scrubby sponge. I do think sponges are more likely to harbor bacteria, but I can't stand using washcloths. I run my sponges through the dishwasher and don't keep them terribly long. I have tried the scrubby-backed washcloth, when I was trying to compromise with dh, but I can't get past the lack of substance in my hand.

Incidentally, this is also why I detest those wipey-things, like Chlorox wipes, etc. I clean with cleaning cloths that are structurally similar to thick, terry washcloths. The wipes just don't have enough substance between my hand and whatever I'm cleaning.

He wants it his way, even though I do far more dishes. Or at least both ways.

He doesn't like washcloths, either, but not because of the floppiness: he's absolutely convinced that they have mildew, & that no amt of washing them will get them clean. Period.

However, he *also* thinks that just running sponges/scrubby things under hot water w/ a little dish soap will get them clean AND he refuses to buy new ones, because they're expensive. :001_huh:

Ooh--what does he say about the scrubby things? You know, the things that look like hairbrushes for dishes? :bigear:

Am I the only one who uses none of those? If I have to wash something by hand, or wipe the counters down, I use paper towels. That way I can just toss it and not have to worry about all the yucky stuff. I don't really consider myself a germiphobe, but dish cloths/sponges are one thing that creep me out. Occasionally I'll use one to wipe the counters, but they end up with a funky smell I can't rid of.

Is there anything wrong with using paper towels that I should know about?

We use Scotch-Brite-type scrub sponges. I think that washcloths are probably more sanitary, but I hatehatehate using them (I keep trying, but still hate them), and I prefer the scour power of the scrub sponges. I throw them in the dishwasher periodically, or soak them and put them in the microwave on high for a minute when I think they need it. I was raised in a household that used them, as was DH, and I've used them since I started washing my own dishes. They've not made anyone I know noticeably sicker. We're generally a pretty hardy bunch and are rarely sick (with the exception of the stomach virus mostly likely picked up in the grocery store playroom this past week :glare:).

Thankfully DH and I are in agreement on this issue!

:iagree:This is our household as well!

I use a sponge, but it had better always be drying on the back of the sink or heads will roll. In the evening when the kitchen closes I usually pour some alcohol (watered down) on it. I feel like that will kill the germs and make it dry out faster. I never wake to a dry sponge, so I suppose it works. It's inexpensive too, as those big jugs of rubbing alcohol are cheap. ETA: I meant to add that I don't use vinegar because it stinks and bleach will eat the sponge and also damage my clothes.

We don't seem to ever get sick, so maybe my system is working or we all have iron constitutions.

I use washclothes knitted by dh's grandmother with a few crocheted by my BIL. I wash them in the washer with hot water. I also have a scrubbie brush for difficult tasks that gets run through the dishwasher when it needs it. I use a new one every time I need to do dishes by hand but I have a ton of them.

Well, I guess exposure to all the bacteria in the kitchen sponge is making us hardy folks!

You can take my kitchen sponge when you pry it out of my salmonella-infested hands! ;-)

(seriously, I do bleach the sponge after using it to wash down something that had raw meat on it. No one here ill yet.)

I use cloths, and wash them a load of dish cloths and kitchen towels with a bit of bleach if they are especially icky. I also have some brushes that I run through the dishwasher. My mom doesn't have a dishwasher so she lets her brushes soak in bleach water once a week or so and she says they stay really clean that way.

I scrub the dishes with the scrubby side of a yellow sponge with green scrubby stuff on the back prior to either putting them in the dishwasher or washing them with a dishcloth. My DH thinks it is silly to wash the dishes before washing them, but I cannot stand a sink full of mucky dishwater. And he wants to use one of those brushes you can put dishsoap into.

I use a scrub brush.

My dh likes to use washclothes but this is NOT OK!!! I have even tried to seperate "dishes" clothes from "bathroom" washclothes and he didn't even do that.

DRIVES ME INSANE. I do NOT like washclothes to be used as dishclothes.

:svengo: I *never* mix bathroom & kitchen towels OR washcloths. The ones in one room are a *completely* different color & texture from the ones in the other room. Mixing is not possible, funny, or allowed!

(Why, though, I'm not sure.)