Menu

Where to live? need communties with great schools!

This may seem like an odd place to ask such a question, but since collectively you people care more about education than any other people I know I will give it a whirl:

Where is a great place to live that also has great public schools?

I don't think I'm going to be able to homeschool all my children through high school. Our public schools are mediocre and getting worse. So I'm looking for a new hometown.

Here are the parameters:

1. Great schools (with resources for profoundly gifted kids <I have one who is in math> and also basic good, solid students)

2. Within 3-4 hours from NYC (by train or car or easy flight)

3. Near an airport

4. Near ocean beaches with great fishing

5. NOT a hothouse/competitive town

6. I'd love to find a place where we could a afford some land and a good sized house BUT will cram eveyone in for good schools.

7. Racial/economic diversity would be a plus.

I've seen posts like this before and I've wondered if anything comes of them. Thank you for indulging me!

Edited by yellowperch

This may seem like an odd place to ask such a question, but since collectively you people care more about education than any other people I know I will give it a whirl:

Where is a great place to live that also has great public schools?

I don't think I'm going to be able to homeschool all my children through high school. Our public schools are mediocre and getting worse. So I'm looking for a new hometown.

Here are the parameters:

1. Great schools (with resources for profoundly gifted kids <I have one who is in math> and also basic good, solid students)

2. Within 3-4 hours from NYC (by train or car or easy flight)

3. Near an airport

4. Near ocean beaches with great fishing

5. NOT a hothouse/competitive town

6. I'd love to find a place where we could a afford some land and a good sized house BUT will cram eveyone in for good schools.

7. Racial/economic diversity would be a plus.

I've seen posts like this before and I've wondered if anything comes of them. Thank you for indulging me!

Two areas immediately popped into my head: the area west of Hartford, specifically Avon and Simsbury, and Duxbury, MA. Both areas are w/i 3-4 hours of NYC; both are w/i 45 min. of an airport--Bradley in Hartford and Logan or Providence for Duxbury. Avon & Simsbury are about an hour to the beaches; Duxbury has a private (I believe) town beach. Don't know about the competitiveness factor. I would think any town with very good school systems would tend to be competitive, but I'm just not familiar enough with these systems to say yay or nay. Downside of both areas is they are fairly expensive. I'm thinking $500,000 and up for a decent 8/4/2.5 colonial. Don't know about the racial diversity; I'm thinking probably not very. There is a magnet school opening this year in Hartford specifically for gifted children that would probably be more racially diverse.

Hanover NH...has pretty good schools and Dartmouth is located there, Lebanon has a small airport that does hoppers to NYC. Lots of space to get land and a good house. Racial diversity is lower but Dartmouth helps if you are in Hanover proper and involved in the college in any way. No beaches but there is the river, lots of ponds and heaps of outdoor stuff.

I was also thinking of Princeton NJ, or maybe Newton MA. As someone upthread said, NYC itself has some amazing high schools, although admission is anything but guaranteed.

I can't think of any place offhand that has great schools that is not highly competitive, though, not to mention $$$$.

NE Queens, NY. (Douglaston, Little Neck, Fresh Meadows, Bayside, Malba, Whitestone), You'll be living in NYC, so you'll have all the amenities it has to offer. The high schools are wonderful (many for gifted kids), Manhattan is less than 1 hr away by public transportation, near 2 airports, nice beaches/fishing is within a 40-minute drive, not really competitive, very diverse, and since Queens is more residential than the rest of the city, finding a place with some land is doable.

Here's an example of a home in NE Queens

m_H7-zcZ_lTqdFkmhDMXXQ

Edited by Abkjw01