Menu

Two naps to one?

When did your babies switch from two naps to one? My 13-month-old is acting like he might be ready to do this (taking a VERY short morning nap) but this seems really early. (You'd think by kid #5 I'd remember this, but I don't!) He is teething, so that could be affecting things... anyway, curious when your kiddos made the transition.

I think "normal" is between 9 and 21 mos. My first DS dropped to one at 9mos, but since he was my only one it was from 11-2. I wasn't trying to cooridinate nap schedules. My second didn't drop his morning nap till 20mos. My current 13 month old still does 2 naps. I think he could get away with one, but making it till 1:00 is just too hard for him. He gets really clingy and fussy. There have been times that I thought he was ready to drop it because he would take a short nap or he would fight the nap. Then a few days later he was back to a real morning nap.

I would go by his mood. If he can make it till afternoon nap without being a major grump, you could have him transition if you want. I personally like the morning nap-even if it is just 20 minutes. I do think that age when they need 1.5 naps is hard.

Average age to go from two naps to one is between 15 and 18 months (see Weissbluth, Healthy Sleep Habits, Happy Child).

I've had two kids do it around 14 months or so. My advice is to try to hang on a smitch longer if you can - some kids go through phases of not napping at one of their naptimes, but later go back to taking it.

Truly, there is no "normal" where babies or napping is concerned. None of my kids followed the same schedule. And shock of shocks to me, my middle daughter stopped napping all together at the age of 12 months. I'm not kidding. She was up at 6:00 am, awake till about 9:00 pm and NO sleeping in between. Just about drove me nuts but didn't effect her at all. She was a very happy baby! She would take one nice long nap about once a week. This was totally different then my older two who took naps daily till age five! But it's what she needed. I couldn't get her to sleep no matter what I tried. So finally, I gave up trying and we were all happier.

So, go with the flow. You're baby will let you know when it is time to adjust. You simply can't compare babies. They are all totally different.

Yes that sounds about right, if comparing to mine. By the way, with four you might already know this, but at this point, when they transition from two naps to one, it's a great time to try and break them of the pacifier, if they use one. I found that they were SO tired by the time their one nap time of the day rolled around, that they didn't need their binky to get to sleep. If they did cry for it, it was for less than five minutes and then they were out.

Thanks everyone. My gut says to try to keep the morning for a little longer -- I have a feeling he'd be a mess by 1:00 also. I guess if it's just 30 minutes, I'll take 30 minutes. :) No binky habit to break -- thanks, though. He's a thumb-sucker.

Crazy about the NON-napping baby! Wow, that must have taken a lot of creativity (ie, getting anything done)!

When did your babies switch from two naps to one? My 13-month-old is acting like he might be ready to do this (taking a VERY short morning nap) but this seems really early. (You'd think by kid #5 I'd remember this, but I don't!) He is teething, so that could be affecting things... anyway, curious when your kiddos made the transition.

I don't remember with my first and third. But my second dropped it at 9 months. I remember that because I wasn't ready for her to drop it yet.

Thanks everyone. My gut says to try to keep the morning for a little longer -- I have a feeling he'd be a mess by 1:00 also. I guess if it's just 30 minutes, I'll take 30 minutes. :) No binky habit to break -- thanks, though. He's a thumb-sucker.

Crazy about the NON-napping baby! Wow, that must have taken a lot of creativity (ie, getting anything done)!

I always let them take two naps until they're consistently staying up too late (I'd put them in bed but they wouldn't fall asleep till after 9). Once we'd drop it back to one nap, bedtimes went back to normal. With my last two it was around 12 months (give or take a few months). My niece seemed to need two naps much longer (past 2) but didn't sleep as long at night.

For twins they had two naps until about 18 months old and then down to one nap until they were about 4.

Ds#2 was down to one nap at 6 months, and no nap at 12 months (except when I physically held him down until he or I fell asleep -LOL). He also would wake up in middle of the night and get himself into trouble. So we had to put a latch on his bedroom door to make sure he stayed in there when we were sleeping. Otherwise he would wake up and wander the house and get into things.

Ds#3 did two (2-3 hr) naps until he was about 3, and then one (3hr) nap until he was about 6. He was a sleeper though. When he is tired he is out... and nothing anyone can do would wake him up (he would fall right back to sleep). But he didn't sleep solid through the night until he was about 8yrs old!!! He tended to wake up 2-4 times a night (and often rotated beds throughout the house).