Menu

Chicken was refrozen after it had already been thawed

I would say no, but I am chicken leery.

That reminds me of the new Peguins of Madagascar cartoon. They were trying to get some thrown out tuna. And the youngest asks "What's Salmonella?" and the oldest says , Its Italian for litte salmon and the rest of the penguins cheer for Italian food.

I had thawed some chicken to use in two meals and one bag was accidentally put back into the freezer. Is it safe to thaw again and cook?

I always thought that you couldn't "refreeze" meat that was frozen and then thawed, but apparently you can...

Refreezing

Once food is thawed in the refrigerator, it is safe to refreeze it without cooking, although there may be a loss of quality due to the moisture lost through thawing. After cooking raw foods which were previously frozen, it is safe to freeze the cooked foods. If previously cooked foods are thawed in the refrigerator, you may refreeze the unused portion. Freeze leftovers within 3-4 days. Do not refreeze any foods left outside the refrigerator longer than 2 hours; 1 hour in temperatures above 90 °F.

If you purchase previously frozen meat, poultry or fish at a retail store, you can refreeze if it has been handled properly.

From the United States Department of Agriculture Food Safety and Inspection Service

I came across that the other day when I was look for some 'official' answers about meat & freezing ~ I was wondering how long meat could stay frozen and still be good.. saw that question answered there as well. :)