Menu

If you use Saxon.....do you use the DVD's?

Mom28kds

I have a next year 5th grader and I will be working part time. I was wondering if you did the DVD's with the Math if it helped at all or do you just have them read it and do the problems. Are the DVD's helpful or are they just a waste of money (which I don't have extra that is why I work PT).

I have not used DVD's for Saxon Math. 5th grade is really easy and I just go over the lessons with my kids and then they work on the problems.

My oldest is now doing Saxon's Advanced Mathematics and we still haven't needed the DVD's.

Also, if there is one topic that your child needs extra help with there are lots of videos on just about any topic you need on youtube.

My dd is in 5th and she is using the DIVE CD this year (our 1st time to try).

We are on Lesson 18 and so far we are both enjoying it. It gives her a bit of independence and she can do math without me. We have always done Math together so this was a big adjustment for me. I usually hang out nearby in the event she has questions while using the CD. Anyway, we both love the CD. So far the concepts are very easy so we will see when things become more challenging. I really like the way the instructor explains things and encourages the child to do their best. I got it used from Homeschool Classifieds so I would not be out much money if I decided it was not for us. But as far as I can tell it is a keeper:)

Hope this helps.

My 5th grader has not used the DVDs, and has just read the book himself and not needed any help from me. Only problem is as the year has gone on, he's gotten a bit lazy about carefully reading. I don't think we'll NEED the DVDs for next year (6th), but I'm considering it only because I don't know that he is always reading very carefully. That's mostly laziness on my part and I could sit and "quiz" him over the day's reading and it would be a lot cheaper!

But to sum up - we did not use or need DVDs for Saxon 6/5.