Menu

What do you use to treat Exczema?

DS12 has Exczema on his arms and legs. I guess it would be considered a mild case, as it has never bothered him. It is just raised bumps that sometimes look a bit red, nothing itchy. Usually you would not notice unless you touched his arm. Then it feels like sandpaper. He has had that since about age 3 or 4.

Back in those days, we were much more main stream. I used regular store junk for soap (ie Johnson and Johnson), and bubble bath, etc. Fed junk food, thought it was a good dinner if he had a whole bowl of Spagettio's!

I distinctly remember one Ped Dr we went to for another issue, noticing it, but telling me it was quite common and most children grew out of it so I didn't really think too much of it. A few years later, another Ped gave us a steriod cream to put on it. We did that for about a month, but after reading the ingredients and warning labels, I choose to stop that.

It must have been around that time, that I became "enlightened". I also stopped using Eucurin and Dove soap on him due to ingredieants and drying factors.

The exczema has pretty much stayed but again, doesn't really affect him.

Today, I am much more careful about our products. I make our laundry detergent (after using ALL Free and Clear for several years), he only uses organic shampoo, and body soap that is good for his skin, usually a bar soap from goat's milk. Nothing ever with Sulfides or Laurathates. Bug spray, sun block, all of that is safe. We watch foods, trying to eat mostly organic and not alot of processed junk. Although he does have dairy, but not much. He doesn't like white milk, so it is occasionaly choc milk and cheese here and there in meals. We've been living like this for about 5 years.

For a while, I was thinking that we just had to give it time to get all of that "junk" that his first 6-7 years had in his system. I know the whole "skin is largest organ and thus often shows first symptoms of internal issues" theory and believe that is completely true. But I've given it 5 years of trying to clear up that junk that we put in the first 6 years.

So I am thinking maybe I need to try to attack this thing and get it cleared up once and for all. He hasn't said anything but you know he is at that age where these little things start to affect self-esteem.

Sooo, what have you used that has cleared up exzema? I am looking for holistic type solutions, no steriod creams, or prescription pills/lotions.

thxs!

Funny you should ask! I should preface this with ds has bigtime allergies to dust, he also has other environmental allergies, plus he's a little bit allergic to a lot of foods. We've gotten by with covering his pillows and mattress, taking zyrtec and claritin but nothing major. He's never had a major allergy episode (except the time he spent a week inhaling dust every night in a room at his grandparents house that they keep shut up everyday of the year = dust). It's really not as dramatic as it sounds.

Anyway, we live in Central TX and allergies are NUTS here. After living here for 5 hrs. I think they finally got to ds. His eczema was out of control. He even asked me to take him to the dr. He had a couple of bad patches on his arms that were actually infected. He's taking oral antibiotics for that (which I don't think most kids need unless they've scratched to the point of infection which ds has) and he has a steroid cream (again, his arms were ridiculously itchy, red, painful, and infected).

Our drs. are pretty conservative when it comes to prescriptions so I'm comfortable with their recommendations. Her basic recommendations for treating typical eczema are: showering - no need for soap (it's drying) except for the armpits and genitals, pat dry, slather body with a good lotion like Lubriderm. If an itchy patch comes up, use cortisone.

I'm on and off the wagon for all natural. I was great with 1 or 2 kids but now that we have 4, I just try to use my common sense. I think the drs. recs are reasonable and we'll just try to stay on our toes with this. We are also going to an allergist but I think ds is at another level than the op's child.

Hmmm....if you suspect he might be eating an allergy or has environmental allergies you could do more to control that would be the first and most important step. Lots of time (most if this is year round) eczema is allergy related. We do a lot to control environmental stuff here. He is also reactive to some foods and products.

Along those lines have you heard of Balsam of Peru and related foods causing eczema? You can get patch testing.

My son is reactive to products and many natural products are actually worse. I am not certain of his trigger but a lot of products have a form of or derivative of Balsam of Peru (called different things on labels--not usually Balsam of Peru) that is reactive for many people. Do look at this --because many of the natural products my son found reactive have this or another common problem ingredient. There are also foods and spices to avoid if it is an issue.

I've seen (in real life) long standing eczema completely cleared up by eliminating balsam of peru. It's common as as source and it's also a common eczema trigger. Based on what I've seen I'd strongly think about eliminating all sources and see if it helps. This one includes food lists. It's whole foods (some spices, tomato, etc.) so even if the diet is clean you may have issues but if it works for him as I've seen it work for others it would be so worth it.

Outside of that not allowing water to evaporate off skin (drying quickly and completely) followed by a very good lotion seems to help my son. We use Balsam of Peru free (and all other irritant free) products for him but they aren't natural necessarily. As I said, the natural ones have caused some major issues for him (things like lanolin, beeswax, etc.). He does best with the Vanicream line and also California Baby Super Sensitive for a few things (both fragrance free). The Vanicream line isn't natural but it's very, very good for eczema and other sensitive skin.

Edited by sbgrace

My 2nd son had eczema when he was a baby. We went to the doc and used a steriod cream and heavy lotion to get it under control. I didn't know anything about eczema and didn't know any better about using a steroid cream on a baby.

It came back off and on for a couple years and had a bad bout of it when he was three. It was all over his face and eyelids. I used plain Chapstick on his face and eyes along with a tiny bit of Cortaid on his cheeks - the Chapstick didn't sting or feel goopy and the eczema was gone by the next day!

He did grow out of it - he is 18 now and eczema free. A REALLY great lotion that we have used to keep eczema under control is Vanicream. I buy it from the pharmacy but it doesn't take a prescription to get it - the pharmacy just orders it for me. Some really big pharmacies, like a Walgreen's or CVS, might carry it on their shelves. It might seem a little pricey (around $15 for a 1 pound tub) but it so so worth it!

Also, instead of soap you could try Cetaphil cleanser. The off brand works just as well as the actual name brand and is inexpensive.

Hope you find something that works for your son.

My understanding is that exzema is a condition that expresses itself through the skin but which originates in the gut. While creams can be part of a wholistic approach and can provide relief and some help....the original cause is related to the digestive system and to actually cure it, that is where you need to go. Everything else is dealing with symptoms not causes.

I suggest you google "exzema gut" or something similar and follow that trail to find the information you need to heal the gut- but it does involve dietary restriction and change which can be challenging for a child.

Eczema is VERY DRY SKIN. It can be caused by lots of different things and that of course should be looked into, in order to achieve a 'cure'. Diet is not the only factor. In the meantime though you need to manage the dry skin and the irritation that can cause - you do this with lots and lots and lots of greasy moisturisers ad nauseum. You need something waxy like Epaderm and you should be applying it at least 4 times a day. Instead of soap use something like aqueous cream.

My daughter had HORRIBLE eczema that would come every winter, and which was getting worse and worse each year. Last year it was SO bad, and when it started early this year, and I didn't feel like the doctor or the dermatologist had helped much, I did some more research on my own and put together a routine...

...WHICH HAS WORKED! My daughter has had NO BAD FLAREUPS for almost three months now, and you have no idea how HUGE that is for us!

Please see my blog here for how I did it, before and "after" pics and so on:

http://nancextoo.livejournal.com/160161.html

Eczema is VERY DRY SKIN. It can be caused by lots of different things and that of course should be looked into, in order to achieve a 'cure'. Diet is not the only factor. In the meantime though you need to manage the dry skin and the irritation that can cause - you do this with lots and lots and lots of greasy moisturisers ad nauseum. You need something waxy like Epaderm and you should be applying it at least 4 times a day. Instead of soap use something like aqueous cream.

:iagree: DS only has flare ups in the winter when his skin get COLD. Aquaphor and coconut oil are our best friends.

DD has eczema too. Bad flare ups in winter, one we're fighting now - sandpaper skin, itchy, red spots. I use All Free & Clear detergent, double rinse the laundry, all cotton clothing, and lotion lotion lotion!

I do use a steroid cream when it gets really bad, but I can usually control it with Triple Cream lotion (found in the baby section at Target and Wal-Mart). She won't let me use anything else on her skin now. It has the least ingredients on the label, is thick, fragrance free, and works.

We use this for my son's eczema and really like it. We love the 'monkey farts' scent, :lol: it smells SO good!

Funny name! We've only used the "unscented" lotions, are the scented ones supposed to be just as "safe" to use on eczema? I've been afraid to go near anything scented!

Anyway, I know I already gave the link above but in case someone doesn't want to bother clicking a link, the main things that are working for us right now are:

Using a humidifier every night (this is HUGE, I see a noticeable difference the morning after if my daughter forgets to turn the humidifier on, which has happened like three times)

Using the unscented CJ's BUTTer lotion several times a day

Using a soap free cleanser

and then using the steroid cream only as needed if she gets a small patch, just to get it right back under control quickly before it gets bad. This isn't needed very often at all.

Get it to go away with steroid cream, then prevent it from returning by moisturizing heavily, at least twice a day. Use baby oil after showers. This is what worked best on my ds's eczema. Steroid cream isn't bad as long as you don't use it for extended periods. Then it can thin the skin. But, you want to treat and eliminate it first. Honestly, there is nothing that will do that better than Cort-aid. Especially if your ds's is long-term.

My boys have now got to the phase where aquaphor really gets on their nerves because it is so sticky. Sometimes I can get them to wear it under pj's, but, being 11 and 13, they just don't want the aquaphor at all. I researched ichtheosis (skin that is super dry because of a missing protein)(they have eczema and ichtheosis). Anyway, I read lots of recommendations and discovered our new joy... Lay It On Thick... a cream from the spa treatment products at Bath & Body Works. Not sure if this will help anyone or not. It is very amazing. They wash up daily and when they put it on 2 times a day, their skin looks very healthy. We've used it several months and they have not had an eczema patch come back.

Eczema can be exacerbated greatly by staph bacteria due to scratching. This is something I'd suspect in a case of severe eczema. Aside from oral antibiotics, one way to reduce it is bleach baths (something like 1 c, I'm not sure on the amount), which kills the staph, though it's rather drying, obviously. I'd only proceed with this after a visit to the allergist.

Aquaphor would be my other recommendation. I'd use steroid cream temporarily to get rid of it, then I'd be religious about the aquaphor.

He did grow out of it - he is 18 now and eczema free. A REALLY great lotion that we have used to keep eczema under control is Vanicream. I buy it from the pharmacy but it doesn't take a prescription to get it - the pharmacy just orders it for me. Some really big pharmacies, like a Walgreen's or CVS, might carry it on their shelves. It might seem a little pricey (around $15 for a 1 pound tub) but it so so worth it!

QUOTE]

My DD uses this for our grandchildren and her hubby. SHe buys it at Walmart right of the shelf. They go thru a tub a month in the winter.

My grandson has it the worst and she had him tested for allergies and it is mostly controlled thru his diet now. When he has a flareup, he soaks in a tepid tub for 15-20 mins and then uses lots fo teh Vanicream.

What worked for us:

Jojoba oil

Borage oil <---- The best remedy for us, so far

Vanicream

bleach bath

humidifier when the air is really dry

fish oil supplements

probiotics

Zyrtec

cornstarch

steroids occasionally

trying different detergents, shampoos, etc. (Once, we couldn't figure out why ds was breaking out with hives/eczema after his bath at night. It drove me crazy until I read the ingredients of his shampoo, which included macadamia nuts, which was aggravating his eczema.)

The best way to find out what will work for you is trial and error. What worked for us may make your situation worse. Do your very, very best to find out why he's breaking out.

Best wishes for speedy healing! :001_smile:

It looks like lots of good ideas here, and I'll add two ideas from my peds practice for natural, non-steroidal, treatment:

1. Get grease onto his skin while he is still wet/moist from bathing. Bathing should be brief and not hot water, only warm. Put the grease on him in the tub if you have to. Keep old towels that can get greasy, big deal. Any grease will do: crisco, baby oil, petroleum jelly, aquafor...put socks and long underwear style jammies on right after greasing up. Apply again to hands if needed, once he's in bed. (My son has always been partial to A&D ointment, we get generic tubs. I guess he likes the smell, and it has a little extra healing power, I guess.)

2. Wet wrap therapy. Google it. We laughed ourselves silly the first time we did it. You soak in a bath a few minutes, apply all the grease (perscription, etc. whatever is usual), then I put a flannel sheet in the wam tub water, wring it out, and wrap it around him, then another blanket around him, then put him to bed. Before he's chilled, couple or four hours or so, I changed him into jammies. He's 14 now, so he does it himself. This therapy gives him the longest relief, and is worth the trouble, actually.

Also, he had lots of longjohn style jammies, then later long underwear for bedwear, that just stayed greasy....wear a week. His underwear elastic goes sproing quicker, due to the greasy petrolatum melting the rubber in the elastic. Funny.

Good luck with this, its heartbreaking to see them scratch themselves raw, and have infections in it.

LBS

Wise Ways Herbals makes a bar soap specifically for eczema. We used 1 bar when my ds(3) was having problems with food intolerences as a baby and have never needed it since! I bought it through a frontier co-op group but they may have it at a local health food store. This is the first thing I'd turn to if I ever needed to deal with it again. HTH! :)

I haven't read all the responses so sorry if what I post is a repeat of someone else's post........

Our youngest had horribly severe eczema and it scared me to death! We have sense learned that she has food and other allergies.

I make my own soaps and detergents and I'm careful about what other products we use at our house. I am also very careful that she wears nothing but all-cotton clothing which can be a pain to find but it has helped.

We also avoid her allergens which made a huge impact on her skin. We try to avoid the steroid and antibiotic route and only do that when she has a full-blown infection.

I suggest VaniCream which is a wonderful and thick lotion that has helped us. I order it online but it is not a prescription. We also do lukewarm tub soaks followed by lots of lotion, sometimes several times a day. Where we live it's humid but if it were dry I would keep a humidifier going to help in the winter.

We're still battling the eczema but with lots of lotion and the soaking plus avoiding things that irritate her skin (which we've learned through trial and error) she has improved greatly.

I hope things improve soon. We know firsthand how miserable that can be!

Everybody always recommended Eucerin to us, and I kept trying it and then noticing that DD's eczema just got worse. :glare:

I finally had a pediatrician explain to us that Eucerin had lanolin in it, and that my DD probably was allergic to lanolin. He suggested Cetaphil *cream* - not the lotion - applied immediately after bath when the skin is only partially dried off.

This was the answer for us. Just a week or two on this regimen effected a noticeable improvement . . . finally! This was about 13 years ago.

And my poor dad recently spent over a month in hospitals and rehab centers. He developed incredibly dry skin that was getting downright scary. I remembered our Cetaphil cream from years ago, and told him to apply it right after bathing. It is the ONLY thing that worked for him, either. He is now a believer!

A tub of the Cetaphil cream is approximately $11; you can get it at Target and probably most drug stores.

HTH. :)