Menu

Evangelism ... as a position

It's time for new persons to join the church council. We have a president, vice-president, treasurer, finance something, worship/music, secretary, building/maintenance, and evangelism. There might be other positions. I can't remember.

Whether you agree with our church's set up or not doesn't really matter. There is nothing I could do to change any of that anyway. :D

What I'm curious about is what you think a person on the church council (overseeing that area of ministry within the church) would do if they were the "evangelism" person?

Our current person, who has already said to be stepping down, buys paper products that we use during fellowship time after service. I don't think he does anything else??

Talk to me! Please. :)

It's time for new persons to join the church council. We have a president, vice-president, treasurer, finance something, worship/music, secretary, building/maintenance, and evangelism. There might be other positions. I can't remember.

Whether you agree with our church's set up or not doesn't really matter. There is nothing I could do to change any of that anyway. :D

What I'm curious about is what you think a person on the church council (overseeing that area of ministry within the church) would do if they were the "evangelism" person?

Our current person, who has already said to be stepping down, buys paper products that we use during fellowship time after service. I don't think he does anything else??

Talk to me! Please. :)

We don't have one, but if we did...

I would expect that person to organize occasional trainings for those who are evangelism-challenged. Our church had a F.A.I.T.H. training for example. Perhaps, also organize a community outreach program like a summer block party. We did one of these were we gave out school supplies. I would think they would work with the children's minister to help organize VBS if you do one. They should be responsible for ensuring that your church is getting the word out as much as possible. Good luck with that.

ETA: This should be one of the hardest working, busiest ministries in the church. At least, that is what I would think. Evangelism is the Great Commission.

Edited by jewellsmommy

I chaired the Evangelism Committee of a medium-large Lutheran church for two years.

I approached the job very practically. I don't think that anyone had really done it for quite a while. I didn't want to do anything that someone in the group did not already know to be tried and true. I didn't want to 'experiment' with a program that might end up being really bad and giving the Gospel a bad name. And having visited visitors to our church, I knew how little 'programs' do compared to prayer and getting out of God's way. So I took the huge binder of program materials that was 'willed' to me, and asked around to pull together a committee, starting with input from the pastor, and then we met, prayed a lot, and went through the materials. We asked God for guidance, and we talked about each program and what our experience, positive and negative, was with it.

We decided that we needed an evangelism focus in the church, and that it should include having everyone think about how they would explain the Gospel fairly briefly (like in a paragraph) and also how they would explain their own relationship with God fairly briefly. This is part of 'always being ready to give an account of yourself...' etc. So we taught those things in the church services and made a more extensive development of that teaching available to every group in the church.

We also made sure that all visitors to the church were called, and if they wanted an in-person visit that they got one in a timely manner. We made sure that they were visited by someone who prayed for them before and afterwards, and preferably someone from their own neighborhood. We organized more people to do the visiting because of the neighborhood issue.

Then we had an evangelism month where for 3 Sundays we had a special focus on creating the best possible environment for people to visit the church, in small ways that did not distort us (no bait and switch, that's for sure, but no big turn offs either). We worked with the pastors to pick dates that were right for pretty easy to understand sermons that talked about Bible passages that are especially important for non-Christians to hear at some point. We had name tags for members and visitors alike, so that no one would feel singled out. We encouraged people to invite their friends on those specific Sundays with confidence that we were unusually ready for them then. I believe that this was effective because it gave people a specific schedule for this--it's easy not to ever get around to it, and this kind of put a little urgency/fun into it. This worked out really well, and was implemented as an annual thing.

I don't claim to have the gift of evangelism. But, these were basic things that involved organizing everyone and praying a lot, something every Christian should do, and not something requiring outstanding talent/gifts. They were effective in making us more welcoming and intentional without distorting our church. Had I stayed in that office, I probably would have tried harder to have us all learn from one-two couples who actually did have the gift of evangelism, so that we would have been more effective and able to teach others as well. Those couples were too busy doing it to want to 'organize' to do it, but I think that they would have been willing to be observed. However, I ended up leaving that position at the end of my first two year term for other reasons, and things continued in a different direction.

Edited by Carol in Cal.

I would want someone with the spiritual gift of evangelism. I would also think they might be in charge of things like small groups that are about the basics of the Christian faith or ones that are designed to be accessible to people who aren't currently Christian but are interested in exploring the faith. I'd want someone who is well-grounded in the Gospel and feels called to inspire the church to be involved in their community and not be an insular social club.

Evangelism. We're Lutheran. I just see the "old-timers" as being comfortable. They have their friends and support. But the younger families just come and go. The long timers are supportive of doing SOMETHING .. but don't know what. There has been a lot of discussion of various things we can start doing to help the in-and-out families feel more like family - more at home. Even those of us that are dedicated church-goers are gone every 2-3 years.

Evangelism. We're Lutheran. I just see the "old-timers" as being comfortable. They have their friends and support. But the younger families just come and go. The long timers are supportive of doing SOMETHING .. but don't know what. There has been a lot of discussion of various things we can start doing to help the in-and-out families feel more like family - more at home. Even those of us that are dedicated church-goers are gone every 2-3 years.

How did your fellow members come to faith? Were they all baptized as young children and raised in faith? If so, do they invite neighborhood parents to bring their children to Sunday School, and do they have a good one? It's easiest to start with what you already have, and build on that. Maybe a good VBS would bring in some families.

Also, my experience is that when people pray to be able to tell others about their faith, usually it does happen (although God is certainly not a tame lion, and this is not guaranteed. It's just something I have observed a bunch.)

My other experience is that when Christians are talking with each other about their faith, it spills into their conversations with non-Christians, in a natural way, because they are less self-conscious about it. So Bible classes that encourage discussion as well as reflection are really helpful.

It is also true that having a basic, short outline of the Faith in mind is a helpful tool in conversation. And also, it is difficult to get others to join a church that has a temporary pastor, as it feels sort of tentatively organized rather than like a going concern. So personally I would prioritize prayer, Bible study, and getting a new pastor.