Menu

What homeschool planner or other set-up works for you?

Sevilla

I'd like to have some sort of electronic or paper planner for homeschooling so that DC and I can see clearly what our goals are for each subject and then work through them in a given week/month.

What do you use for this? I'm looking for something I can input on the computer but that the option to print with check-off boxes too so that a screen isn't required to track progress.

Thank you!

I'm using HST+. I totally love it. I have all my lesson plans made for the year of each curriculum, but no dates attached. Each week, I submit appropriate lessons to the assignment grid and print out an assignment sheet for each day. At the end of the week, I go through and mark assignments as completed. It automatically keeps track of attendance for me (which I have to report).

It's a huge program and has a learning curve when getting started, but once you figure out how you want things set up, it's very easy to use.

I'm only hs-ing one person at this point, but I'm liking the spreadsheet. Days/dates across the top, subjects down the left side. I print it out, one week at a time, and dd checks each assignment off as it is done (which does not necessarily mean it's done on the day that was indicated :glare:). If an assignment took too long and needed to be broken up into another day, I bump out the other assignments for that subject into the next week.

My dates go off to the right into infinity, though I'll probably separate it into a new sheet in the same Excel file after several weeks.

I like the do-it-yourself, fully-custom nature of the spreadsheet. :)

Another HST+ user here. I get on it once a month and set up our assignments for the next month. (Fairly easy since everything is either a lesson plan, or on the weekly tab.) I print out 1 copy for the children, and a booklet size copy for me. Mine goes in my planner. I put all grades on it, comments, and check off what's been accomplished. After 4 weeks, I get on HST, update the information, and set up the plans for the next 4 weeks. HST keeps the record that I need, but I don't have to worry about getting on the computer all the time. Especially during the school day. ;)

I've tried three homeschooling software programs. I recently switched from Edu-Track (which I used for two years) to Homeschool Tracker Plus and I love HST+. :D Every weekend I input data from what we did the week before. Then I print the school lists for the upcoming week. HST+ has a feature that lets you create lesson plans that can then be assigned to any child. So, I can map out Story of the World with its corresponding library books and activities one time and have it saved for use with each child when she is ready for it. This is a much nicer solution than I had with Edu-Track (strict copy & paste).

This is what I use:

http://donnayoung.org/forms/planners/exweekly.htm

You type your lessons into this customizable form. The form is for 6 weeks at a time. I just plug our lessons into each subject and print it out every six weeks.

Before we start a new school year, I use these forms:

http://donnayoung.org/f10/planner-f/f-school-pdf/quarter_v1.pdf

I print this form out 4x per subject (one for each 9 weeks). Then I sit down with a subject, say math, and divide out what I want to get done each day to finish the book in the year (or whatever my goal is for that subject). Then I just start writing down my lessons in each square. These are my master lesson plan forms. I use these to plug our lessons into the Excel spreadsheet that I linked above. That way the whole year is planned out, but I'm only inputing data six weeks at a time.

This sounds way more complicated than what it is! :001_smile:

I'm using HST+. I totally love it. I have all my lesson plans made for the year of each curriculum, but no dates attached. Each week, I submit appropriate lessons to the assignment grid and print out an assignment sheet for each day. At the end of the week, I go through and mark assignments as completed. It automatically keeps track of attendance for me (which I have to report).

It's a huge program and has a learning curve when getting started, but once you figure out how you want things set up, it's very easy to use.

:iagree:I have been using this for 3 years and now can copy lesson plans or parts of them from one child (for example the oldest did Saxon 65 a couple years ago) to another. Love it!

we use a paper planner from http://www.premier.us. It was a little more pricey than is probably necessary but it has worked perfectly for us with no need for tweaking! I'll be ordering another one for next year, for sure! I just write my lesson plans right in his planner, he checks them off as they're completed & I mark through them after I check the assignment.

This one is similar to what we use, they have changed the format a little and the spelling list space is missing now! :(:

http://premier.us/tools-planning/products-students/planners/product-line/classic?category=33'>http://premier.us/tools-planning/products-students/planners/product-line/classic?category=33'>http://premier.us/tools-planning/products-students/planners/product-line/classic?category=33'>http://premier.us/tools-planning/products-students/planners/product-line/classic?category=33

here is one almost just like ours--you have to go to the little drop down box & choose "classic Elementary 8.5x11 matrix" after you "view demo":

http://premier.us/tools-planning/products-students/planners/product-line/classic?category=33

HTH!! :D

Edited by rootsnwings

This is what I use:

http://donnayoung.org/forms/planners/exweekly.htm

You type your lessons into this customizable form. The form is for 6 weeks at a time. I just plug our lessons into each subject and print it out every six weeks.

Before we start a new school year, I use these forms:

http://donnayoung.org/f10/planner-f/f-school-pdf/quarter_v1.pdf

I print this form out 4x per subject (one for each 9 weeks). Then I sit down with a subject, say math, and divide out what I want to get done each day to finish the book in the year (or whatever my goal is for that subject). Then I just start writing down my lessons in each square. These are my master lesson plan forms. I use these to plug our lessons into the Excel spreadsheet that I linked above. That way the whole year is planned out, but I'm only inputing data six weeks at a time.

This sounds way more complicated than what it is! :001_smile:

Is there any way to save the information you type into the six week excel planner? I like the way this works, but I don't want to have to redo it every six weeks. I fooled around with it, but couldn't see how to save it.

thank you.

I'm only hs-ing one person at this point, but I'm liking the spreadsheet. Days/dates across the top, subjects down the left side. I print it out, one week at a time, and dd checks each assignment off as it is done (which does not necessarily mean it's done on the day that was indicated :glare:). If an assignment took too long and needed to be broken up into another day, I bump out the other assignments for that subject into the next week.

My dates go off to the right into infinity, though I'll probably separate it into a new sheet in the same Excel file after several weeks.

I like the do-it-yourself, fully-custom nature of the spreadsheet. :)

This is us too. I really wish I could get the hang of HST+, but I just don't have the energy for the learning curve right now, so I'm sticking with the simple and straightforward for the moment. This combined with our filing system is working pretty well for us.

This is us too. I really wish I could get the hang of HST+, but I just don't have the energy for the learning curve right now, so I'm sticking with the simple and straightforward for the moment. This combined with our filing system is working pretty well for us.

I have HST+, but the learning curve killed me. And now I have a Mac so I can't use it anyway.

Is there any way to save the information you type into the six week excel planner? I like the way this works, but I don't want to have to redo it every six weeks. I fooled around with it, but couldn't see how to save it.

thank you.

Once I've opened it in Excel and entered all my info and lesson plans, then I just click Save As and type in firstgrade1-6 (for weeks 1-6), then when I want to do my next set of lessons I just open that file, delete what is in it, then type in my new lesson plans. I click Save As and save this file as firstgrade7-12. You then should have two files one for weeks 1-6 and weeks 7-12. Eventhough, you deleted everything out of the file for weeks 1-6, since you saved it under a different name, it keeps the 1-6 file untouched and adds the new weeks into a different file. Just keep repeating the procedure until you have finished out your year.

Once I've opened it in Excel and entered all my info and lesson plans, then I just click Save As and type in firstgrade1-6 (for weeks 1-6), then when I want to do my next set of lessons I just open that file, delete what is in it, then type in my new lesson plans. I click Save As and save this file as firstgrade7-12. You then should have two files one for weeks 1-6 and weeks 7-12. Eventhough, you deleted everything out of the file for weeks 1-6, since you saved it under a different name, it keeps the 1-6 file untouched and adds the new weeks into a different file. Just keep repeating the procedure until you have finished out your year.

Thank you. My computer is doing some weird things when I try to save something from Excel or Word, but I think I've got it.

I use Homeschool Skedtrack. It's free although that doesn't matter much to me. I looked at HST several times, but it seemed too complicated and not user-friendly. I hear the HST+ version is better.

But I really like online software, that way I can use it on any computer and on the road, so Homeschool Skedtrack has been great.

I am a Luddite. I use a paper planner with sheets I designed myself. There have been too many times when computers have crashed, software has glitched, electricity has gone out & batteries were low for me to want to put something so important onto e-only form. I tuck the planner in to my child's portfolio at the end of the year and it makes for a nice record without me having to print a bunch of documents.

I would love for HST+ to work for us, but it just hasn't.

I have been drooling over the CM Organizer from Simply Charlotte Mason for a while now. Once you type in your plans, if you aren't able to get to something on this day or that, it carries it over to the next day and recalculates your plans. Anyway, I haven't used it yet, but plan on it. You don't have to be a hardcore Charlotte Mason homeschooler to use it either. (We are WTM people) There is a booklist on the website also from which to choose among many living books. Gotta go check it out!!!

I'm fixin' to purchase HST+ very very soon... No one in my homeschooling group is on the referral program. I thought I'd ask here if anyone is. I'd be happy to get one of you wonderful ladies $5 for referring me to this. :) Let me know soon, I'm itching to learn how to use it before we start serious homeschooling in the fall...

I have been using The Well Planned Day for the past couple of years and plan to stay with it because it works beautifully for what we need. I prefer just having a book to write in myself, and the layout of this planner is perfect. Also, this year I have ordered a student planner for dd for the first time rather than make one myself for her. We just ordered both for 30% off from a recent sale through Homeschool Buyer's Co-op and can't wait to see them!

Blessings,

Lucinda

We've been using the planners from urthemom.com. At the end of the year, you have a portfolio with all assignments, grades (quarter and year end), books read, curriculum completed, places visited and important papers. It is set up for 36 weeks of school with an extra four weeks for completing unfinished subjects. There are pre-high school and high school versions.

I tried the free version of HST last year and it was ok, but I really prefer to write things out, so I've gone back to a plan book that I got at staples. The kids like having an assignment sheet for the week so they know what to expect, and we tried different things for that and have finally settled on using the weekly calendar view from Microsoft outlook. On Sunday I type in their assignments, print off the week on one sheet and they cross off or check off completed work.

I have HST+ and although it's a great program it's just too much for what I need to do. I'm sure for high school it will be more beneficial.

For now I have a planner I made in MS Publisher for me which has all the kids on it

Then my older two get half of this checklist, which I cut apart and laminated. Then each day I fill it out with a wet erase marker and they wash it off when they are done for the day.

I use Homeschoolskedtrack. I have tried others Edu-track and HS tracker. HST plus was not user freindly at all. I purchased the 5.00 demo. No way. Now the basic (free) version appears more user friendly but something about it I still did not like. Edu-track appears more user friendly but I could never get answers from customer service. So I will not spend money on a product and I am not happy with customer service. So this brings me to http://www.homeschoolskedtrack.com This is the planner that I used this year. And having tried others I have to say I am going to stick with it. The cons are it's tied to the internet so if you don't have a great internet connection that could be a problem. Also it does not have a journal like the others which I really wanted but I have found I make notes on the day itself. Oh and did I mention its free. :lol:

I have been using The Well Planned Day for the past couple of years and plan to stay with it because it works beautifully for what we need. I prefer just having a book to write in myself, and the layout of this planner is perfect.

Another Well Planned Day user. I bought it at the summer convention and I really love the size and feel of it. I like having a book to write in and check off. I plan my school week on Sunday and write everything in the planner. If we don't get to something one day, then I circle it and draw an arrow moving it to the next day. Very low-tech, but it works for me.

The thing I don't like about the planner is that it is divided by subjects and there is only one section for English. We do more than one English subject when you factor in phonics/reading, spelling, handwriting, and composition. I also like my days to be planned by time rather than subject. To make the WPD work for me, I just draw a line through the subject titles on the left hand side and write in times instead. Voila!

Another Well Planned Day user. I bought it at the summer convention and I really love the size and feel of it. I like having a book to write in and check off. I plan my school week on Sunday and write everything in the planner. If we don't get to something one day, then I circle it and draw an arrow moving it to the next day. Very low-tech, but it works for me.

The thing I don't like about the planner is that it is divided by subjects and there is only one section for English. We do more than one English subject when you factor in phonics/reading, spelling, handwriting, and composition. I also like my days to be planned by time rather than subject. To make the WPD work for me, I just draw a line through the subject titles on the left hand side and write in times instead. Voila!

How funny! I use the circle/arrow method too!!! And I do love my WPD book. I'd be lost without it.

As to the English section issue that you mentioned, I just abbreviate some of the categories and take up less space because these are fairly short daily things that just need to be checked off. I save the lion's share of the space for writing and grammar assignments.

Blessings,

Lucinda

• 2 months later...

For years I have used the semester planning forms on Donna Young's website to plan each subject for the whole year. Now I use HST+, but before that I used my own created planning form that I filled out each week based on the semester planning sheet from Donna Young.

I first used HST+ for the transcript feature and ease of calculating grades, but now it does much more for me. However, I also need to have it written out on the planning forms so I can "see" where we are in our school year. Very OCD of me, I guess. . .

April in TX

HST+ hands down. I owned it for a couple of years before I really implemented it. I can't believe I waited for so long to learn how to use it. It worked wonders for my efficiency this year. I'll be the first to admit I don't know all the amazing things it can do yet, but when we go on vacation to Colorado in a couple of weeks, I'm bringing my laptop and my HST to play around a bit. The users manual (downloadable) is gigantic. I think it will be fun to browse through it and find out all the tricks I didn't even know I could use. This has been my first full year using it, and what little I've learned has been immensely helpful.

i use an excel spreadsheet with a new page for each week . . . but that is for only one child.

I do this for 2 dc. If you would like to see it, let me know.:D

I print out a few weeks at a time, and if I need to change something, it's easy to move stuff around.

HST+ has been the only computer planner that has ever worked for me. There is a learning curve, but once I got through that, it's a breeze to use.

Lately though, I've been overwhelmed at the thought of lesson planning at all, so I have gone back to the old paper 'n pencil method. The Elan planner W101 is my absolute all time favorite. It is undated, and the columns go up and down rather than across. (I prefer to read down a list.)

:iagree::iagree::iagree:

I NEED the days to run up and down!

Ok, I am off to re-install my HST+. I bought it years ago, but it was SOOOOO much. I looked around at it and never used it.

I think with three dc doing school now, I need something a little more than my simple spread sheet.

There is a Yahoo group that shares files for HST+. I notice you are using OPG. It may be possible that you can find a lesson plan on the Yahoo group for it and other things you use.

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/hstlessons/

Best wishes

Jen in Oz