Menu

What's the most efficient way of sorting through the post-PSAT college mail?

Storm Bay

I didn't put an email address on dd's info, so we're getting blurbs in the mail. Dd hasn't got any specific colleges in mind yet. Before we fill in the little forms to get more info, is there a good way to figure out which ones are stong in math, biochem, cellular biology & genetics? These are the things she's interested in? I'm not interested in the tier system or those type of measurements, but how good the actual programs are and how easy it is for the grads to get jobs relative to the economy.

Karin,

This may not be the direct answer to your question but something that helped us. IPEDS is the federal data collection organization. Their College Navigator allows you to pull up reported statistics on a variety of things--test scores, graduation percentages, average financial aid, etc. But there was another use that I found.

If you pull up a particular school, you can click on programs/majors. This will tell you how many students graduated with a math or biology degree. You can also see if they have grad students in these subjects. Now to read between the lines: if there are few majoring in a subject, are there enough students so that the college offers a variety of courses? If there are a number of grad students, will beginning courses be taught by them as opposed to profs?

You can also use screening tools on the first page of the College Navigator to find schools in certain geographic areas or of a certain size. I found this to be an extremely helpful tool.

Good luck,

Jane

Karin,

This may not be the direct answer to your question but something that helped us. IPEDS is the federal data collection organization. Their College Navigator allows you to pull up reported statistics on a variety of things--test scores, graduation percentages, average financial aid, etc. But there was another use that I found.

If you pull up a particular school, you can click on programs/majors. This will tell you how many students graduated with a math or biology degree. You can also see if they have grad students in these subjects. Now to read between the lines: if there are few majoring in a subject, are there enough students so that the college offers a variety of courses? If there are a number of grad students, will beginning courses be taught by them as opposed to profs?

You can also use screening tools on the first page of the College Navigator to find schools in certain geographic areas or of a certain size. I found this to be an extremely helpful tool.

Good luck,

Jane

Thanks. :001_smile: