Menu

Sports Moms-This might be a long shot...

I don't have any experience with that sort of recruiting agency, but I graduated in 2003 (has it really been that long???) and competed as a DI athlete. My experience is with cross country/track and field. Their site talks about people receiving "contacts" or questionnaires after using the site. I received at least 5 questionnaires every week of my junior and senior year, but my particular sport had rankings that were easy to find and easy to compare. It doesn't sound like this site actually does anything other than post your profile. Did I miss other services that they offer? If all they do is post your profile, you can just as easily submit your profile to schools that you are interested in.

I don't want to keep blabbering and sound like I'm an expert on all of this. I did speak with quite a few coaches at different levels during the recruiting process, and most of my friends in college were also athletes. What sport? What's the goal? Making a team, making the most competitive team possible, getting the best scholarship possible, etc? DI, DII, DIII? It's been a few years since I was a college athlete, but if I have any pertinent information I'd be happy to share it.

She plays softball, and I'm pretty sure she has met the requirments to play at any division level, but bascially the only way she could go directly to a 4-year college out of high school would be on a scholarship.

There is a new CPOA representitive in our area, I guess we are a "new" region and so they are, of course, out and about introducing themselves. We aren't actively seeking out recruiters yet, but I was just wondering if something like this was worth the time and effort to invest in.

I'm thinking probably not.

Thanks for the replies. :D

Is she on a "select" or travel club team? Is she able to play high school?

Here is the basic of what I know. Take some movies of her playing, probably playing all positions she normally plays, if it is a lot, just her best, also of her batting.

And make a highlight dvd to share with potential coaches. And then keep, and get all her stats from her freshman year on up.

Will her coaches help her? Does she have some colleges in mind?

And you know that sports scholarships especially in lesser known sports, ie NOT FOOTBALL or Basketball, don't usually give much for scholarships. I have no idea what they may give for girls. Sometimes they will help them find other money though if they really want them.

Oh and we didn't start out with looking at ds playing sports in college, but when we started looking at colleges we looked into the possiblity. We didn't have one coach refuse to meet with us, and many were willing to give him a shot.

Is she on a "select" or travel club team? Is she able to play high school?

Yes, to both.

Here is the basic of what I know. Take some movies of her playing, probably playing all positions she normally plays, if it is a lot, just her best, also of her batting.

I've been thinking about doing this, guesss I should start.And make a highlight dvd to share with potential coaches. And then keep, and get all her stats from her freshman year on up.

I will only have access to her Varsity stats as they didn't keep them for JV, but I will get them anyway.

Will her coaches help her? Does she have some colleges in mind?

All Her coaches love her. She has a few colleges in mind, but hasn't made any firm decisions.

And you know that sports scholarships especially in lesser known sports, ie NOT FOOTBALL or Basketball, don't usually give much for scholarships. I have no idea what they may give for girls. Sometimes they will help them find other money though if they really want them.

I know, but it really depends on the school, so we'll see.

Oh and we didn't start out with looking at ds playing sports in college, but when we started looking at colleges we looked into the possiblity. We didn't have one coach refuse to meet with us, and many were willing to give him a shot.

Thanks for all your advice.

Thanks for all your advice.

you are welcome.

I bet your dd has some idea of her stats.

It doesn't always have to be official especially in the JV team.

Talk to the coaches and see what they think.

Also do some research on the colleges. and see if you can find anything about ANY sport offering a How to do College Sports and how to navigate the process. My oldest ds's club team did a seminar it was great, I just wished I knew more. But for you it wouldn't have to be just softball, any sport would work, just to understand the process it really is all about the same.

There are different rules for the 3 divisions so do some research on the differences. Look at the rosters from the colleges she is interested in too.

Oh and don't discount the private colleges too. OH and there are Jr colleges that have teams too. I went to a small jr college but it had a fantastic Boys basketball program and I think just about every one of the top players went on to play at a 4 year college.