Menu

If you cut your son's hair, stop here!

DS is 4 and would like something other than a straight #2 buzz cut on his hair. I'd love to do something else, but I don't know how. He'd especially like something like that "little boy flip" in the front or "spikey" hair.

If you cut your son's hair, what resources did you use to learn how? Also, he has very coarse hair, if you have any styling tips/tricks that we could use!!

Thanks!!

We cut all 6 guys in our family. We do a #7 buzz on the lower half, then layer (wet) with comb & scissors the top half.

I just used the basic information in the Tightwad Gazette, but have benefited from library books.

If you want something specific (& a bit complex), you can have the cut done at a local barber . . . watch, and then try to remember what was done so you can repeat it.

What is great is that you can improve your skills as your son ages, so he will be less embarrassed by his home haircuts as he becomes a teen!

(Haircutting is really a good skill to learn anyway--I highly recommend it!)

DS is 4 and would like something other than a straight #2 buzz cut on his hair. I'd love to do something else, but I don't know how. He'd especially like something like that "little boy flip" in the front or "spikey" hair.

If you cut your son's hair, what resources did you use to learn how? Also, he has very coarse hair, if you have any styling tips/tricks that we could use!!

Thanks!!

We do a #7 buzz. Does that help?:D Seriously, I did get a book from the library. If you google, there are some good youtubes out there too.

I start with the number 2 and "buzz" the bottom part for about 1/2". Then move on to #3 and go up another 1/2". Keep going until I'm about 3/4 of the way up the head. Then, I use a comb and scissors and blend the top part so it's a bit longer.

I learned by watching a barber do it a couple times. it's really easy! My 13 yo has the Ryan Seacrest hair - with the flippy thing in front. It does take some gel though!

Have fun learning!

I have 2 boys and they've never had a haircut from anyone else but us. My son has very coarse hair. He rocked a mohawk from age 1 to 6. I loved it. My 2nd ds' hair is too fine to shave so I have to cut w/ scissors.

You have to start young to get some practice in so that if you mess it up they won't care lol.

I cut dss', dds', and dh's hair. I cut my hair. Fil & bro have started coming by for haircuts, too. (It makes mil crazy, lol.)

The kit I bought came w/ a video. It was terrible. You could learn to buzz hair or give a very 1989 chili bowl hair cut.

So I just started cutting. The kit cost $20. I couldn't do worse than the $20 guys in the mall. (I haven't, either.)

My oldest is a red head, so his hair is very coarse. He's also got crazy cow-licks. I've learned what cuts look better on his head--shorter makes it stand up more.

I met a friend a couple of years ago who cuts hair, & from her, I learned to try to follow the natural shape of a guy's head.

For the boy-flip you're talking about...I don't have expert advice, but I try to do that to my oldest's hair. When I'm done with the basic cut, I do a reverse tapering thing to the front, holding the hair at an angle, cutting toward the face.

Maybe google videos on youtube?

Ds has fairly curly hair. He likes it long but I keep trimming away. Sometimes it takes a couple of days to get it right but he still wants me to do it. Sometimes it's just worse when someone else does it. I like to shape it to the head to get the most curt but am careful for the bangs and the back not to be too short.

The thing I've found most helpful is too hold the hair between my fingers to cut the way stylists do. The important thing to know is that you have to hold the hair between the fingers so it's making vertical lines on the head, not horizontal. If you hold it and cut horizontally, it ends up looking very choppy. The only horizontal cuts I make are to even off the nape of his neck and his bangs. After doing straight horizontal cuts there, I go back in and kind of feather the edges a bit by snipping tiny amounts (like 1/4 inch or less off some of the hairs along the edge. It's kind of hard to explain, but if you watch a stylist, they'll usually do this and you can learn how to kind of emulate it. Feathering the edge keeps it from looking too harsh and straight.

My other tip is to take off less than you think, and then trim more as needed.