Menu

Was your dad for or against pierced ears? When did you get your ears pierced?

She was as much one of the children as I. My dad was no ear pierce, and alot of other stuff. Anyway at 18 during my rebellion I was pierced 6 times. I still remember how it hurt, but I just wanted to show him. He called me a tramp! I think its funny now, considering what young girls are doing now.

I don't think my dad much cared. He just didn't want to be there; he's an EMT but the blood of family members made him queasy. I believe I was eight. My mom did it in the kitchen with a pair of her (sterilized) earrings and an ice cube.

Heh. I didn't get my ears pierced until I was 13 either; I don't know that it was my dad's rule, or if that's what my parents decided. I don't remember him having an opinion. My mom has pierced ears, but neither of my grandmothers did. Somethings about adding more holes to their heads when unnecessary, LOL.

Anyway, I do recall that when they were going to let my sister get her ears pierced when she was younger than 13, I pitched a fit because it was NOT FAIR. She may have been more responsible that I was. I did not care. So I think they made her wait.

Aren't you glad I'm not your older sister? :lol:

I have a friend who got her girls' ears pierced when they were infants, because they wouldn't remember the pain. She said she found it fairly easy to care for them. I wish I'd thought of that, but too late now, so we will cross that bridge when we come to it. Neither of my girls has asked, so I am not going to broach the subject at this point.

My oldest is just like you were...she cries "NOT FAIR" whenever there's even a hint that her younger sister might possibly...maybe...get to do something earlier than she could. :lol:

My dad used to say the same thing that you mentioned. His version was, "That's all you need -- a couple more holes in your head." :D

Lisa

I got mine pierced the first time when I was 10, I think. That didn't turn out well, and I ended up in the ER in Edinburgh (we were travelling at the time) having a doctor dig the backings out from under the skin, which had closed up over them along with a nasty infection.

He advised me to wear clip-ons.

I, of course, ignored him, waited until the original holes mostly closed up, then talked my way into getting them re-pierced at some place in the mall a couple of years later.

ETA: Oh, and for what it's worth, my daughter is 13 and has no interest in getting hers pierced, even though I would not have a problem letting her do it.