Menu

Anyone Finished 4th level of Phonics road (or at least half way through 4)?

warriormom

1. Can you tell me what the expected outcome after finishing PR?

2. Were your children motivated to do their work or did you have to "drag them kicking and screaming" :)?

3. My concern is that it is boring or confusing. Is that true?

4. What should be my expectations coming into this curriculum?

5. Did you use additional reading for your children?

6. Is this really a comprehensive Language arts curriculum?

7. Which type of homeschool mom would be successful using this program?

8. Would you use this again?

Hopefully Tina will chime in since she's in PR 4 right now I think. Also, check out the Phonics Road yahoo groups, there are a few mama's who've been using it for quite some time.

I am in PR 2 and using PR 1 for the second time with my 6yo DS.

2. Were your children motivated to do their work or did you have to "drag them kicking and screaming" ?

~ We have all enjoyed PR so far. I don't get any fussing, I can see that my children are growing in their knowledge of spelling. I enjoy teaching it and the children have really responded well to the program.

3. My concern is that it is boring or confusing. Is that true?

~ No, it is not boring or confusing at all. It took me a week or so to get comfortable with the program, but now it is easy peasy to use!

4. What should be my expectations coming into this curriculum?

~ give yourself a chance to get comfortable and don't give up too soon!!! We have seen many benefits and I *love* having all LA done in one fell swoop!

5. Did you use additional reading for your children?

~ only their own read alouds, not any extra reading curriculum at all.

6. Is this really a comprehensive Language arts curriculum?

~ IMO, absolutely. I think this with "writing across the curriculum" in other subjects will be more than enough LA in the younger years

7. Which type of homeschool mom would be successful using this program? Mmm...I like it because it gives me enough guidance as a springboard, but doesn't put words in my mouth like scripted programs. It also doesn't leave me floundering and not knowing what to do next.

8. Would you use this again?

Yes! I wished I had known about it when I first started, but I think I learned things then that help appreciate it more now. I will use it with my younger children for sure.

• 2 weeks later...