Menu

Help me figure out which day I should take my first pg test? :D

OK so I don't want to jump the gun too much, but of course I'm anxious to know and want to find out as soon as possible whether I got lucky this month lol.

So if my last period started on 1/25, and let's just say we've been trying quite hard haha, and if my cycles vary anywhere from being 28 day cycles to being 34 or 35 day cycles (last six months of periods were: 7/17, 8/19, 9/22, 10/23, 11/24, 12/28, 1/25)... (that last one was weird, it came 3 or 4 days earlier than expected when every other one prior to that was 1 to 4 days LATER than the last).

...What would be the earliest date you would go ahead and test this month?

Thanks,

Nance (who is rapidly approaching age 38 and hoping that in her case it isn't really true that fertility declines after age 35 as she's always thought of herself as pretty fertile in the past :P)

I would think test around the 25th, which would be three days after you're earliest expectation for your period. Though if it were me, I'd most likely be buying a stash of cheap pregnancy tests and testing daily much earlier than that. lol!

You might consider charting so that you know when you ovulate. That would probably be a better way of figuring out the when of testing. But here's hoping this is useless advice because you're already pregnant. :D

Regarding fertility... I am 37 yrs old and 15 weeks pregant with #4. I conceived the month after my cycle returned from #3. So age most certainly hasn't impacted my fertility!

I'm going to vote for 2/21 if you're using cheap-o dollar store tests. That way, if you have to use three or four of them over the course of the week, it will still be pretty cheap. If you're using pricy tests, I would probably wait until the 23rd.

If this month isn't your month, I'll put in my vote for you taking your temperature next month so you can know when you ovulated. It makes it much easier to obsess over. :tongue_smilie: Plus it's nice to know when the whole due date discussion comes up.

ETA: I got my positive test result 10 days post ovulation.

Edited by Annie

I am in current possession of two cheap dollar store tests... so I can try twice. Of course, I could always buy a couple more lol. But the first negative might be a little disappointing so I don't want to jump the gun too much. I don't want to wait longer than I have to either. I wish I could just know already haha.

I will have to do some reading up about charting to figure out when I ovulate, so I can try it next month if it doesn't happen this month. I've never even thought about it before now since my daughter (age 19) was unplanned, and my daughter (age 10) was conceived very quickly when I started trying for her, and my son (age 5) was unplanned, and the end of last month was the first time my husband would agree to trying for one more. If you would have asked me a month ago I'd have sworn he'd NEVER say yes to another! :)

Maybe I'll try on the 22nd. That's just ten days. I can wait ten days, right? (Especially since I leave in three for vacation and will be very busy until then with laundry and packing and getting ready and so on, and then two days will probably be spent driving- from PA to FL with kids, wish us luck haha- and then we'll be catching up with family and everything- ten days should go fast, right? Blah, I hate waiting for anything. I am ALL about instant gratification!!!) :lol:

If I get a negative on the 22nd I'll try again on the 25th, I guess!

Edited by NanceXToo

I am in current possession of two cheap dollar store tests... so I can try twice. Of course, I could always buy a couple more lol. But the first negative might be a little disappointing so I don't want to jump the gun too much. I don't want to wait longer than I have to either. I wish I could just know already haha.

I will have to do some reading up about charting to figure out when I ovulate, so I can try it next month if it doesn't happen this month. I've never even thought about it before now since my daughter (age 19) was unplanned, and my daughter (age 10) was conceived very quickly when I started trying for her, and my son (age 5) was unplanned, and the end of last month was the first time my husband would agree to trying for one more. If you would have asked me a month ago I'd have sworn he'd NEVER say yes to another! :)

Maybe I'll try on the 22nd. That's just ten days. I can wait ten days, right? (Especially since I leave in three for vacation and will be very busy until then with laundry and packing and getting ready and so on, and then two days will probably be spent driving- from PA to FL with kids, wish us luck haha- and then we'll be catching up with family and everything- ten days should go fast, right? Blah, I hate waiting for anything. I am ALL about instant gratification!!!) :lol:

If I get a negative on the 22nd I'll try again on the 25th, I guess!

Try putting your data in My Monthly Cycles--it will do some calculating for you that might be helpful.

Thanks for those links! I checked out the MyMonthlyCycles one. It says my cycle is an average of 32 days and that I am most fertile yesterday and today and still somewhat tomorrow (it shows ovulation as being today, but who knows). Hopefully I will get good news in 10 more days. <Impatiently watches the clock. I mean, the calendar.> haha.

I highly recommend Taking Charge of Your Fertility. Excellent book; I think every woman should have a copy.

Editing to add that I think this book is great not only for women who are trying to conceive, but for getting to know your body generally. I actually think it should be given to every young woman as a self-education tool, and I will certainly recommend my own daughter read it when the time comes. I was just so shocked to discover how little I knew about my own body when I first got my hands on a copy. So when I say every woman, I mean *every* woman. (The only thing anyone ever told me about taking charge of my fertility was how to take birth control pills. Sigh.)

Edited by MelanieM

We are taught that the time between ovulation and the first day of the next period is always 14 days. If you have a cycle that varies from 28 days the difference is in the beginning, not the end of the cycle. This means that if your LMP was 1/25, and you're having a 28 day cycle, you would have ovulated on 2/8. If you're having a 35 day cycle, you won't ovulate until 2/15.

I am in current possession of two cheap dollar store tests... so I can try twice.

I have a story about those cheap dollar store tests ....

One day I saw them at the store and thought, "Oh, that would be so convenient to have those on had for just in case." So I bought 10. Both times I was pregnant my dh knew before me and so when he said, "I think you're pregnant," I took one of the tests. Negative. Okay. Next day I am throwing up and dh says, "you're pregnant." I take not one, but three of those tests. All negative. I figure I must have caught some sort of stomach bug, but it sure does feel like morning sickness. Over the next 2 days I took the rest of the tests - all negative. So, dh was insistant that I was pregnant and when to Walmart to get a 2-pack of name-brand tests. First one - positive. :D I was pregant with dd. Since then I won't bother with the dollar store ones.

We are taught that the time between ovulation and the first day of the next period is always 14 days.

But it's not true for everyone.

I also vote for the 25th, at the earliest. Typically you wait until your longest cycle length and then count yourself "late" if you haven't started. So if you have had a 35 day cycle and you haven't started on day 36, test that day. However, if that 35 day cycle was off for some reason (i.e. illness, stress, medication), don't figure that cycle.

Another suggestion for charting if this isn't your month. You'll be able to see those temp shifts and also know your typical leutal phase (LP). If you can see the day of ovulation and you know your LP then it's much easier to see if you are pregnant.

I

ETA: I got my positive test result 10 days post ovulation.

I tested positive the day I was due (I hadn't tested up until then) but I had warning signs: b@@ks amazingly tender 7 days after ovulation, nearly fainted 10 days after ovulation, thumbs rubbery 12 days after ovulation. I was so busy trying to block thoughts of PG (so I wouldn't be disappointed when Aunt Flo showed up), I was thinking "Maybe I'm coming down sick and should stop trying to conceive." :lol: Couldn't see the writing on the barn door.

Both times I was pregnant my dh knew before me

I'm putting notches on my doorjamb (metaphorically) for all the women I've spotted this in: they feel bad, but look GREAT. I've done this 7 times, and 3 of them the women were using good BC and swore up and down it couldn't be. But ... they had "the look".

But it's not true for everyone.

I also vote for the 25th, at the earliest. Typically you wait until your longest cycle length and then count yourself "late" if you haven't started. So if you have had a 35 day cycle and you haven't started on day 36, test that day. However, if that 35 day cycle was off for some reason (i.e. illness, stress, medication), don't figure that cycle.

Another suggestion for charting if this isn't your month. You'll be able to see those temp shifts and also know your typical leutal phase (LP). If you can see the day of ovulation and you know your LP then it's much easier to see if you are pregnant.

That's interesting.

I admit I need to do more reading on the subject. TCOYF is on the book list ;)

Not everyone goes triphasic. ;)

In fact, with my last two babies, I had a normal shift (never was triphasic) and a temp drop a couple days before I was expecting af. I also had some light spotting and cramping. Then I think it was the day af was due or the day after, my temp shot back up!!

Everyone has their own unique chart pattern. :) TCOYF has a cycle gallery page and you can see there that no one chart is the same.

http://www.tcoyf.com/media/21/default.aspx

I have a story about those cheap dollar store tests ....

One day I saw them at the store and thought, "Oh, that would be so convenient to have those on had for just in case." So I bought 10. Both times I was pregnant my dh knew before me and so when he said, "I think you're pregnant," I took one of the tests. Negative. Okay. Next day I am throwing up and dh says, "you're pregnant." I take not one, but three of those tests. All negative. I figure I must have caught some sort of stomach bug, but it sure does feel like morning sickness. Over the next 2 days I took the rest of the tests - all negative. So, dh was insistant that I was pregnant and when to Walmart to get a 2-pack of name-brand tests. First one - positive. :D I was pregant with dd. Since then I won't bother with the dollar store ones.

Oh, wow. Well, I guess I'll see what happens since I already have them! I've heard several people say they worked just as well as name brand and even registered a positive sooner. I guess you never know! I'll see how it goes!

Oh, wow. Well, I guess I'll see what happens since I already have them! I've heard several people say they worked just as well as name brand and even registered a positive sooner. I guess you never know! I'll see how it goes!

Yeah, usually they're quite accurate. I got my early positive (5 days before I expected my period) on a 25 cent pregnancy test I bought in bulk off the internet.

I highly recommend Taking Charge of Your Fertility. Excellent book; I think every woman should have a copy.

:iagree:

Back when we were struggling to conceive, I went through literally hundreds of the super cheapo tests that can be bought on line. Each cycle, I started doing them so early that I would expecting a negative, something like 10 dpo, LOL.

Good luck!!! :)

9 more days... lol. I'll take any good vibes any of you want to send my way :D

My dr ordered a blood test for me 3 days after conception. I already knew I was pg, but needed verification for a different test I was having done.

If you don't want to wait......maybe a call to the dr is in order. It is a bit more expensive than a $1 pg test though.

I would wait until sometime in March personally. I got to the point where negative tests were getting me down. Three weeks after suspected conception seemed like a good time to me (ie 5 weeks pregnant).

I sooo know what you mean. I had seen sooo many negative tests in 3.5 yrs that I wondered how in the world anyone ever got a positive. I was not buying cheap ones either. I looked back and did the math one day and realized that we had spent over $400 on negative pregnancy tests :001_huh:! I actually had a pseudo pregnancy (went through 3 tests that month), where I developed physical symptoms of pregnancy that even when I did get pregnant, I didn't develop. :lol:

8 more days... siiiigh. lol.

My dr ordered a blood test for me 3 days after conception. I already knew I was pg, but needed verification for a different test I was having done.

If you don't want to wait......maybe a call to the dr is in order. It is a bit more expensive than a $1 pg test though.

Yeah, much as I'd love to know sooner I will have to stick with the cheaper method of finding out for now lol.

Pg tests are $1 now?? LOL, my kids are 17 and 21 y/o. They were $10 each back then, so you didn't want to get a negative one! I just figured if I was pg then I would still be in a week or two, and waited, but oh, it is hard!

I think we spent $4.00 each on ours at the dollar store. I think people have found them cheaper online though? And yeah the waiting is the hardest part!

I sooo know what you mean. I had seen sooo many negative tests in 3.5 yrs that I wondered how in the world anyone ever got a positive. I was not buying cheap ones either. I looked back and did the math one day and realized that we had spent over $400 on negative pregnancy tests :001_huh:! I actually had a pseudo pregnancy (went through 3 tests that month), where I developed physical symptoms of pregnancy that even when I did get pregnant, I didn't develop. :lol:

Wow, that's pretty crazy, that's a lot of money to spend on PG tests! Let's hope it happens fast for me so I don't spend that much LOL. I can see going "Well they're cheap, let's just buy a few" and then if you have to keep doing that every month, it can really add up, I'm sure!

We are taught that the time between ovulation and the first day of the next period is always 14 days.

That's definitely not true for everyone. I had a full-on period 9 days after conceiving my second child. (Date of conception was confirmed by early ultrasound, there is no doubt about this at all.)

I charted for quite some time before conceiving my first child, and my luteal phase was usually 9 days. With my first child, I had a temperature drop and thought I was getting my period (spotting) at 9 days post ovulation.