Menu

BJU Algebra 1

Does anyone know if this book reviews pre-algebra, at all, even if it's just in the homework problems? Also, I'm leaning toward online streaming rather than DVD's. Are there any good reasons why I shouldn't choose the online streaming method? I am ready to hand over the math to a video teacher. :)

We loved BJU Algebra 1. The teacher is WONDERFUL. She will review concepts as needed. I am doing the streaming right now for Algebra 2. It is fine as long as we have internet! :) One thing, the tests are online, and dc need to do a notebook with figuring while taking the test so you can know how they got their answers, where they went wrong, or if they get partial credit. I have sheets from being dvd before, that is what I figured you need to do if you take the test online.

We loved BJU Algebra 1. The teacher is WONDERFUL. She will review concepts as needed.

This is so good to hear. Assures me of my initial decision to go with BJU. When you say "She will review concepts as needed," does that mean that she reviews pre-algebra skills that are needed to solve the problems? I think that would be perfect if that is the case.

She introduces each lesson, and does problems out loud, step by step. She also reminds them of past concepts needed for the current lesson. She said she failed prealgebra as a student, and I think that is what makes her an excellent math teacher. She didn't know math naturally, she really worked it out, and she tells the kids all of the tricks she learned so she could do math. All I had to do was correct quizzes and tests! Love, love, love! Everything dd needed to do the work was there.

My dd didn't have any problem with BJU Prealgebra, I'm sure, though, that she forgot some things over the summer. If your student did well with prealgebra, there should be no problems. If your student has problems with basic math skills, though, that is what I would review over the summer.

We LOVE BJU math.... and have heartily recommended it to many. It isn't as rigorous as Chalkdust, and is paced a little slower. My dc are both good students, but more creative than scientific. I have heard some say it is still rigorous, though. My dc worked hard. But, they really appreciated having a teacher and a class with instruction every day. Ds tried close to every math program out there and came to BJU at Algebra 2, dd has always done BJU. Her math has been much easier on me and went way better than ds math career!

Susan,

This is everything I could hope to hear. Thanks so much for detailing it for me. Did you dd use BJU Geometry, also? I've heard mixed reviews on that and wondered if you had as hearty a recommendation for that course as you have given for the Algebra courses.

Yes, we used BJU Geometry. The mixed reviews may be the older version. The latest version has the same teacher as Algebra 1. We made the mistake of using another geometry in the beginning of the year, but jumped over to BJU (started at Ch. 4) and wished we had not used the other one.