Menu

Anyone in FL use schools for extracurriculars?

I'm thinking of having my rising 6th grader attend our local middle school for band this next school year. I've talked with the guidance counselor and its a go and she also said dd could take one other elective (art, pe or drama). If you've done this how has it worked out and what kind of information did they ask for. She actually asked for quite a bit so I'm trying to figure out what is necessary and what's not but also not be a problem parent. Thanks!

Ds goes to the once a week pull out class for gifted in this area. He had testing through the school district, and we had to fill out regular enrollment forms as he is considered part-time enrolled (for funding purposes I think). The only other thing we had to give them was his shot record. What else are they asking for?

Ds goes to the once a week pull out class for gifted in this area. He had testing through the school district, and we had to fill out regular enrollment forms as he is considered part-time enrolled (for funding purposes I think). The only other thing we had to give them was his shot record. What else are they asking for?

She asked for all her past test scores that I had and she asked to know what we use to homeschool. I completely blew her off the materials used by saying I just use a mix of things. She seemed stunned that I teach and don't use online courses. It just made me concerned about what else they may ask for as we get closer. I expected all the enrollment paperwork but our county has a home education department and they have all our past test scores.

I can't think why she would need all that either. Especially just for elective classes. If it were for an academic subject she might need the additional info for placement, but...maybe just refer her to the home ed dept? Politely tell he that all your records are on file there?

We've only done sports too but I did have to give them his current grades since students have to maintain a certain grade point average to play. Other than that and basic personal information (address, birth date, etc) that was pretty much it. When my middle played for a private school, we were required to have the homeschool education dept. send a fax saying we were homeschoolers in good standing but the public school didn't need that. I would not give them any test scores or curriculum. They can check their own home ed dept. for any further information they need and if the dept doesn't have it then they don't need it. :tongue_smilie: