Menu

Deviated Septum surgery anyone??

The ENT said a few months back that he would do the surgery to fix my deviated septum if the allergy shots didn't help relieve some pressure. I stopped the shots about 1 month ago (maybe more?) and while my allergies have gotten noticeably worse, I can't go through those hives anymore. I'd rather the pounding headaches, stuffy nose, swollen lymph nodes, and sinus infections. Call me strange, but hives freak me out.

He said I would most likely require two because it is severe (my nose is visibly crooked and has been all my life, yet my Ped. never noticed anything :glare:)

Has anyone gone through it or helped care for someone who did?

Recovery time, things I'll need for more comfort, anything I might want to know?

Thanks.

Hmm, my first thought with such severe sounding allergies is have you tried dietary changes? Specifically gluten free and casein free? These are 2 biggies as far as allergies. And I have known quite a few people who have had the deviated septum surgery. I hear it is one of the more painful surgeries---BUT----this was years ago and with all the surgeries these days I would say you would probably be able to get adequate pain relieving drugs and as you are also very young----you will heal quickly! I too have a very deviated septum, and going gluten free has alleviated a lot of the stuffiness in the one side. Honestly though---I would LOVE to have that surgery, but I happen to be the biggest wimpy chicken pretty much alive---so I will do whatever natural, holistic and dietary things I need to do to stay healthy :tongue_smilie:

Has anyone gone through it or helped care for someone who did?

Recovery time, things I'll need for more comfort, anything I might want to know?

Thanks.

I had the surgery about 5 years ago. I had a deviated septum all my life (or at least as long as I can remember) but always put off having surgery. I maintained that it wasn't that bad. For about 2 years before I finally gave in, it was getting harder and harder to breathe through my nose. After a while I couldn't take it anymore, and had the sugery.

What a difference! After I had it, I couldn't believe I had waited so long. I can breathe! It doesn't cure allergies of course, but when they strike, they aren't as bad.

Recovery time was only a few days. I was in considerable pain for about a day and a half, then minor pain for a few more days. I'd recommend it to anyone who is considering it.

Mine wasn't technically for a deviated septum but they went in there and cut away a lot of bone. I was about 11 and I vividly remember it because it was rough. It took a full two weeks at home before I started feeling normal. I would definitely plan for enough time off. We had to go back to the hospital to get anti-nausea meds (hospital because it was bad enough to need an injection first) because the blood drainage was causing a lot of nausea and vomitting. I would ask about that before surgery as well. I hope it goes smooth for you and you recover quick. Good luck!

I had the surgery about 5 years ago. I had a deviated septum all my life (or at least as long as I can remember) but always put off having surgery. I maintained that it wasn't that bad. For about 2 years before I finally gave in, it was getting harder and harder to breathe through my nose. After a while I couldn't take it anymore, and had the sugery.

What a difference! After I had it, I couldn't believe I had waited so long. I can breathe! It doesn't cure allergies of course, but when they strike, they aren't as bad.

Recovery time was only a few days. I was in considerable pain for about a day and a half, then minor pain for a few more days. I'd recommend it to anyone who is considering it.

So, what I had must have been greatly different. :tongue_smilie: Sorry to sound so gloom and doom!

:iagree:

I had mine done several years ago. My septum was completely touching the bone on the right side of my nasal cavity. This meant that my sinuses couldn't drain through my right nostril because it was dammed up. I had a polyp damming the left side. And my turbinates were enlarged. My entire life I've sniffed because I could NOT blow my nose. I wish my parents and other adults believed me when I told them I couldn't blow my nose; the air always blew up my Eustachian tubes and hurt my ears instead.

Anyway, the recovery wasn't the worst thing in the world. The stuffed up feeling is awful, and I did need the painkillers that they gave me for a couple of days (love percoset).

I can blow my nose now...without blowing out my ears. And a cold doesn't mean a guaranteed sinus infection requiring 1-3 rounds of antibiotics to clear. I've only had one ear infection since the surgery rather than the 6 in the year prior to the surgery. When it isn't my allergy season, my nose is completely clear and I can breathe through my nose...love that...never had that before.

Now, I still have winter allergies and I have no clue what is causing them. Testing was negative. I know it's environmental since it is only during the one season...and it is worse in this house than our previous home. But I appreciate the improvements from the surgery.

I had surgery for the deviated septum, along with routing out the sinuses. I'd had allergies and shots for years by then and it was the final piece of the puzzle for me. I really needed a clean sinus slate.

I'm highly reactive to the shots so my allergist orders that my serum be diluted to half strength with saline, and they tape on a little ice pack right after they give me a shot. I also take an antihistamine on shot days. I rarely have reactions any more.

Also I never progress normally through the series. When I progressed to a strength that I was always reacting at, they backed down a little and called it my maintenance dosage.

So, what I had must have been greatly different. :tongue_smilie: Sorry to sound so gloom and doom!

Maybe not. Apparently it's done much differently now, and recovery time is shorter. One of the reasons I put it off for so long was hearing about the pain and recovery time. If you had it done when you were much younger, it was probably when it still required a long and painful recovery.

Edited by floridamom

Maybe not. Apparently it's done much differently now, and recovery time is shorter. One of the reasons I put it off for so long was hearing about the pain and recovery time. If you had it done when you were much younger, it was probably when it still required a long and painful recovery.

Ok, that makes me feel a little better about being such a wimp about the whole thing. This would have been about 1987 so I'm sure things have improved quite a bit.

Hi Stephanie,

I had the surgery done about 13 years ago after having unsuccessful allergy shots. I was suffering from chronic sinus infections, headaches and was unable to breath out of my nose because of the deviation.

I am not sure if you want me to sugar coat this or not but it was pretty awful. I was vomiting blood and couldn't keep anything down for several days, I ended up needing antinausea suppositories (sorry TMI!) to stop it. The pain was bad for about a week and then it was just recovering from the trauma.

After having the surgery I could breath through my nose a little better but I still had the other problems :-( 4 years later I ended up having to have sinus surgery and that was a breeze in comparison! It also was much more effective in relieving the sinus infections, headaches, etc. I can't remember exactly what they did but I think they removed some polyps and kind of roto rooted it out :eek:.

Hope you can find relief in whatever you choose!

Marisa

Thank you everyone for your experiences.

I have year-round allergies, so who's to say the surgery will even help, but at least with the septum out of the way I may be able to wear those night time strips on my nose to open the airways. Since the septum is messed up, the strips don't do much.

Thanks, again!