Menu

Dolls: what should stay, what should go?

Tap

Dd12 has a lot of dolls from her childhood that were barely played with. We are moving this spring and I am clearing out/simplifying.

DD has a bucket of Polly Pockets,

3 baby dolls,

3 or 4 Madam Alexander dolls (AG doll size),

countless Barbies, a cloth Madeline doll,

15 Groovy Girls

and a mis-mash of others that are already gone. For each type of doll she has tons of outfits and accessories.

DD4 also has a wooden doll house and all the accessories.

What would you save for dd4? She plays with the baby dolls but other than that what would you keep, if you were wanting to limit it to 3 kinds of dolls (4 with the baby dolls that we are definitely keeping.)

I would keep....

Baby dolls (You're already keeping those.)

A few of the nicest Barbies and clothes

The Madeline doll if either dd was/is especially fond of it (Otherwise, it can go to another little girl who will love it.)

The Madame Alexander dolls I'd be torn. If they are special to your older dd, maybe put them away for her to have if she has children of her own. (If you've got storage space.) Or keep the nicest one for dd4 and give the rest away.

Cat

ASk your dd. When I was 12 my mom gave away my favorite doll while I was at school. I didn't play with her, but she was one I still wish I had.

DD doesn't care about any of them and gave me permission to get rid of it all. She really never played with them unless her company wanted to. Her 2 Bffs growing up were HUGE into dolls and as a girl, she always got them for gifts, so we kept them around. When dd12 was about 8, dd4 came into our lives. We would have gotten rid of it all at that time if it wasn't for dd4 and thinking that we would save them for her. Now, since we are moving, and dd4 is getting her own toys, on top of what dd12 already had, I am saying 'something has to go!'.

DD12 was into Build a Bears and has 45+ of them. Buckets of outfits, furniture etc. That was dd12's passion (and she will still buy an occasional bear or outfit).

Dd12 has a lot of dolls from her childhood that were barely played with. We are moving this spring and I am clearing out/simplifying.

DD has a bucket of Polly Pockets,

3 baby dolls,

3 or 4 Madam Alexander dolls (AG doll size),

countless Barbies, a cloth Madeline doll,

15 Groovy Girls

and a mis-mash of others that are already gone. For each type of doll she has tons of outfits and accessories.

DD4 also has a wooden doll house and all the accessories.

What would you save for dd4? She plays with the baby dolls but other than that what would you keep, if you were wanting to limit it to 3 kinds of dolls (4 with the baby dolls that we are definitely keeping.)

If your DD4 doesn't like them, I would get rid of the Polly Pockets (those sell nice on ebay) and the Groovy Girls. If your older DD didn't like the Barbies very much, I would get rid of all of them, otherwise keep the nicest. Keep 1 nice baby doll (or get rid of them all) and 1 nice M. Alexander doll.

I am partial to the M. Alexander dolls, so I might keep more than 1, though. :001_huh:

Personally, if older dd is not attached to any of it, I would keep the baby dolls that dd4 plays with and get rid of the rest. Dd4 will continue to get gifts of things that she likes and they won't be missed. I am longing for the days that my girls will not fight me on every toy to get rid of stuff. If you need to simplify, take the opportunity and just do it.

If you're inclined, you might keep one of the Madame Alexander ones for her as a special thing from childhood (or one of the others?). My kids each have a "special saving box" for when they get older and have kids of their own. My mother periodically brings out special things from my childhood from some such box to give to my kids and it's so cool. Of course, if she has other special things saved or if you already have a few things like that saved for her, then this might not make the cut. Just suggesting.

If the Madame Alexander dolls are the same size as AG dolls, you may wish to keep one or more, in case your DD4 gets an AG doll when she is older and it needs "friends." That would certainly be cheaper than buying two American Girl dolls.

I'm partial to Groovy Girls, but if your DD4 doesn't care for them, they have a reasonable resale value.

Barbies are easy to come by, both in stores and at garage sales, so they would go.

Polly Pockets tend to be hard to dress and require too much adult help, so they would go, too.

Madeline doll would go.

I'd keep the baby dolls, two or three of the Groovy Girls, and all of the Mme. Alexander dolls and their clothing.