Menu

Changing from Horizons to Math Mammoth--do you think this is correct?

Guest Dulcimeramy

Guest Dulcimeramy

I think that a child who has completed Horizons math K is ready for the second Math Mammoth grade 1 book. (1B).

Do you agree? Or should I back up to the beginning of grade 1? Or, honestly, he has been bored for the second half of Horizons K. I wonder if he could skip MM grade 1 entirely and go to 2A.

This is for a very math-y 6 yo. He did well with Horizons K, but I'd like to go with MM next because it is cheaper, and because his older brother is thriving with MM.

My dd finished Horizons K and went into MM 1A. She had the "theory" of a lot of the stuff covered at first, but she did not know the MM method and that is a big part of the program. I would start with 1A and just move quickly through things that you feel comfortable skimming. There are some things in 1B that dd has skimmed through as well, but I am glad that we started at the beginning. It establishes a strong foundation.

Ds 2nd grader had completed Horizons K and CLE 100. I started him at MM 1A and moved him very quickly through it just so he would understand MM methods as well. He skipped a lot of problems, but we touched on every topic. He is now in 2A and doing 2 pages per day. I do not regret starting even a 2nd grader at the beginning of MM 1A and I can see an understanding that was not there before.

I agree with quickly moving through. That's what we did with MM 1. We afterschooled 1A (alongside Saxon 1), then when we started homeschooling, we got 1B done in 5 weeks. I didn't want to skip anything that was foundational to the method used. I think it was good for us. We're about to start 2A.