Menu

How do you handle it with a brand new friend. . .

I sold Discovery Toys for a couple of seasons, and I have to say

DON'T tell them you don't have money, because MLM folks are taught to handle this objection.

DON'T tell them you will come to listen, unless you can handle seeing tempting items that the seller will tell you how to earn for free.

DON'T tell them that you can't right now.

If it's the sales rep you're dealing with, that may very well be the case, but I still wouldn't have a problem telling them "I don't have the money. I can't come. No thank you."

If it's a hostess inviting her friends, then no, she hasn't been trained in all of that unless she's been a rep.

Okay, so I see this all differently (obviously, since I sell something, LOL). I really do tell people "no pressure" and I mean it when I say it. From my perspective, I'm providing a product that they may be interested in buying and if they ARE going to buy in some form or fashion anyway why not buy it from a local person, or a friend, or the friend of a friend, or one of your kid's friend's moms, etc. instead of from a nameless website or chain store? Why not get great personal customer service and a good product at a competitive price (if comparing quality), while also helping this local person earn an income and that friend/family member/acquaintance get some free stuff too? Why not enjoy a night out? (Buy if you want, don't if you don't want!) I really don't care if people buy or not; but I do appreciate the opportunity to present what I sell.

I feel like this, too, and I don't sell anything like that. I just don't really like to shop all that much, and I would just as soon not have to go to a store to do it. There are certain things that I like buying in a home party setting; especially CAbI clothes and some Pampered Chef items. If someone is pushy, I don't bite; and I don't feel like I can't say no or like I MUST buy something necessarily. But I would rather profit a friend or even an acquaintance of mine, or a small business, if I can. I guess that these don't bother me as much because I don't find it hard to say no if I don't see anything I want or need.

I guess that these don't bother me as much because I don't find it hard to say no if I don't see anything I want or need.

Same here...and I usually check out the product line before I agree to come to the party. I was invited to a Premier Designs (I think that was the name--it was jewelry) party. I asked for a catalog in advance. It was really thick, but I didn't find a single item that I liked. It was all big and chunky jewelry, not my taste at all. I did find a delicate bracelet that I liked, then realized it was an anklet (I don't wear anklets). So I said no, I wasn't going to go to the party.