Menu

BJU online

Can anyone tell me anything about BJU's distance learning online courses or their dvd program? Do you like it? Do they give a lot of homework? ETC....... My daughter is going into the 8th grade and for her 8th grade year I want to put her in a dvd program of some sort but I am having trouble deciding between ABEKA and BJU.

My boys are much younger than your DD. But this is our second year using BJU DLO. The DVDs and the DLO program are the same thing. One is hosted online, and one is in the form of DVDs.

I put a snapshot of what the DLO program looks like on my blog.

We were trying to decide between Abeka and BJU too. We went with BJU because their presentation looks more modern, and the videos seem to be better produced. Abeka has the classroom setting, complete with other kids answering questions, and BJU has the teacher speaking directly to your child. Since I know how my boys are, I felt that the other kids answering questions through the lesson would be too much of a distraction.

HTH. :)

My boys are much younger than your DD. But this is our second year using BJU DLO. The DVDs and the DLO program are the same thing. One is hosted online, and one is in the form of DVDs.

I put a snapshot of what the DLO program looks like on my blog.

We were trying to decide between Abeka and BJU too. We went with BJU because their presentation looks more modern, and the videos seem to be better produced. Abeka has the classroom setting, complete with other kids answering questions, and BJU has the teacher speaking directly to your child. Since I know how my boys are, I felt that the other kids answering questions through the lesson would be too much of a distraction.

HTH. :)

Great blog post. Thanks. We plan to use BJU DVDs for 6th and 8th in the fall.

We are not doing that high of a level but we are doing full BJU dvd's for 3rd/4th grade level. The BJU curriculum is excellent and the teachers are excellent also. It was a necessary thing for us to do this for this year but we will not be staying with it. My main complaints are the length of the school day. He schools from 8 to 3 with a small PE break and lunch then free time. With all of the other things we have going on it just makes it impossible for him to have free time. My personal opinion is that we can accomplish the same thing education wise in a shorter time period. Distance learning is a necessary thing for some families and it's a great choice.

It's a great curriculum and you can not go wrong with choosing either Abeka or BJU. They are good curriculums. For our family, our education goals, etc it works better for us to move to something else for next year. With that said we may very well do 1 class via distance learning next year. I haven't made my final decisions on that yet.

Blessings!

Edited by AnointedHsMom