Menu

Help me think of biases. I don't need commentary, just a list...

We have an assignment for my Marriage and Family therapy class that includes writing about 10 biases you have that will affect your practice of marriage and family therapy.

We've done 2 installments so far. The third (bias # 7 - Bias # 10) are due Monday.

I've done:

a bias towards 12 step recovery

a bias towards inclusive spirituality

a bias towards non-hierarchical, egalitarian marriage structure

a bias against a hetero-sexual assumption of "couple"

a bias for positive parenting

a bias towards informed alternative choices (medical, diet/eating, educational)

I can't think of any others.

Whoda thought I'd run out of biases! :lol::lol:

Okay, you will be able to word these properly, if I am on the right track even.

Interracial couples

blended families

Adoptive families

low income

high income

level of education/education methodology

ETA and I don't have any idea whether any of these would apply to you personally, just trying to help stir your thoughts

Edited by AuntieM

There was an interesting article in the NYT on Monday about bias against conservatives in the social psychologists world of academia. Might be an interesting train of thought and definitely current.

Do you assume people are smarter/dumber when they....

Do you assume people are good/bad when they....

Do you assume people are more/less informed when they...

Do you assume people are open/close-minded when they...

That thinking may generate some clues into your biases?

Tough assignment but sounds worthwhile.

Edited by Daisy

Tough assignment but sounds worthwhile.

It's been a great assignment. Of course therapists are going to have biases. Having to identify them is the first professional step. The assignment makes us discuss how we developed the bias, and how that bias will present strength in our practice of marriage and family therapy and how that bias will present weakness in our practice of marriage and family therapy.

It's been very worthwhile, but I am out of bias. ;)

Would inclusive spirituality also include bias for/against certain religions or religious practices?

Would politics ever come in?

1. Yes.

2. We can certainly use politics, but I'm not sure that a fiscal conservative, social libertarian is good writing material for this assignment. :D I can't see, other than confusing people, who it would affect my practice. :)

Bias against current educational trends. LOL

Bias against fad medical diagnosis.

Bias against recognizing that medical/mental health conditions do run in families even if they aren't identified as genetic.

Bias that while certain diagnosis aren't used in a certain age group, that significant warning signs do warrant intervention anyways.

Bias that older people are too set in their ways to change.

Bias that older people don't need to sensor their words. (some of being candid is due to medical aging, some is just the person being snarky and knowing they won't get called on it)

I don't know if this is what you are looking for or exactly how to phrase it in terms of bias but I would think that a bias towards the following might be relevant in many situations:

1. the belief that a couple should always stay together/the couple should break up if there are signs of unhealthiness in the relationship (or something like that)

2. bias towards certain styles of dealing with conflict ie. open conflict or raising voices versus choosing battles or never raising voices (or something like that)

bias against where a person is from (local, regional, national, international)

bias against their language skills

bias against appearance (clothing, hair styles, gestures, postures, physical grooming, even their teeth)

bias against their perceived wealth

bias against how/what they eat

this might be pushing it, but bias against their personality (aggressive people are controlling, quiet people are pushovers, that type of stuff)

bias against their name or names of their children

gender specific tasks (eg. do men always take out the garbage? most of us of a certain age have a few of these lurking in our subconscious)

but it can extrapolate to a bias against eg. women who leave their marrriages AND their children

bias against corporal punishment?

bias against people who don't listen/interrupt?

bias against multiple piercings?

bias against people convicted of violent crimes

i have a weird one.... i have to fight a bias against parents who give little boys extreme hair cuts.... eg. three year olds with mohawk cuts. why??? but i catch it kicking in and just give an internal sigh and a "here i go again"....

eta.... i think the journey is at least as important as the goal (ie. they want us to know ourselves well enough and/or become mindful enough of our inner commentary to generate a list from within ourselves....)

Edited by elfgivas@yahoo.com

I decided on:

Bias # 7 - Certain diagnosis are not healed on this earth (Pedophilia, Anti Social, Borderline)

Bias # 8 - I can not treat individuals who have perpetrated crimes against children or women

Bias # 9 - A bias towards formal education/training and literacy

Bias # 10 - Hard work is a virtue (mostly ramblings about how hard work is worthwhile and worthy and a goal in and of itself)

I decided on:

Bias # 7 - Certain diagnosis are not healed on this earth (Pedophilia, Anti Social, Borderline)

Bias # 8 - I can not treat individuals who have perpetrated crimes against children or women

Bias # 9 - A bias towards formal education/training and literacy

Bias # 10 - Hard work is a virtue (mostly ramblings about how hard work is worthwhile and worthy and a goal in and of itself)

Nice work. You are so going to rock these assignments!