Menu

GA Homeschoolers chime in on required testing...

golfcartmama

Can I administer the Stanford Achievement Test (SAT) to my own children if I buy them and get approved to proctor through BJU? What are you all doing?

The state DOE site says:

1. Students in home study programs shall be subject to an appropriate nationally standardized testing program administered in consultation with a person trained in the administration and interpretation of norm referenced tests. The student must be evaluated at least every three years beginning at the end of the third grade. Records of such tests shall be retained.

Thanks!

Stanford (that's not the same as the SAT, btw) and ITBS are both acceptable options. It's debatable whether the version of CAT available to home schoolers meets the criteria, though most seem to think it would be fine. PASS from Hewitt is not. And yes, if you meet BJU/the test publisher's requirements for administering ITBS or Stanford, then that's perfectly okay.

I just posted a thread looking for standardized tests for GA, too. I'm going with the CAT. Since I have a college degree, I consider myself qualified to administer the test. Seton Testing scores the test so that covers "interpretation." Also, my DD took the CRCT in 1st and 2nd grades so she's been tested plenty.

We've both administered at home & done it through a group. When we do it at home, we use the ITBS through Brewer and oh my goodness, the turnaround has been all of eight days. We've also had her test w/ a group, still ITBS, but they use BJU and because it's in May, we get the results... in late July. :tongue_smilie: So if you're going to administer at home, I highly recommend doing it before mid-April for a quicker turnaround. :)