Menu

7th grade science other than BJU or Apologia?

Are you looking for secular? How about PH Science Explorer. They have three levels with mixed life, earth and physical sciences. I haven't used them, I only know of their existence :001_smile:

http://www.pearsonschool.com/index.cfm?locator=PSZu6g&filter_422=&filter_423=24902&filter_424=&filter_281=&filter_425=&filter_446=&programFilterTypeList=422%2C423%2C424%2C281%2C425%2C446&PMDbSiteid=2781&PMDbSolutionid=6724&PMDbSubSolutionid=&PMDbCategoryid=814&&PMDbProgramID=13121

You could do an eclectic year of fun books. My dd has been asking for a Leonardo Da Vinci study. There's the "Mini Weapons of Mass Destruction" book mentioned on the other thread. ACS has their middle school chemistry. You could do the Cooking for Geeks mentioned in that out of the box thread. Wouldn't be hard to keep busy. My dd has been enjoying reading scientist biographies (Trailblazer, nothing astounding), so that would be another direction to go. Lots of little stuff in the spirit of having fun before starting high school stuff...

We've been doing the Apologia series up until this point. I really want a good "overall" program that would cover weather, electricity, magnetism, gravity,force, friction, etc. My oldest did Apologia General and we looked at that this week since it is on the bookshelf. I just cannot do another "chatty" year of science. It was okay in the elementary series. Youngest dd enjoyed those quite a bit. But, with the amount of material covered in General, the wordiness gets to be too much.

Is there a place I can view samples of Prentice Hall?

I had not considered Rainbow Science. How does that compare to NOEO?

We used quite a few science biographies this year to supplement history. I'd rather not go that route unless it lines up with history again.

Could someone post a link to the "out of the box" thread?

Thanks!!

We have been pleasantly surprised with A Beka's 7th grade course. It is well-written and rich. The experiments are worthwhile and plentiful with most being easy enough to do with things you would likely have on hand.

We enjoyed the Apologia elementary series too, but ds was not wild about the amount of reading the General Science course. We previewed them both and he chose A Beka.

Is there a place I can view samples of Prentice Hall?

I had not considered Rainbow Science. How does that compare to NOEO?

We used quite a few science biographies this year to supplement history. I'd rather not go that route unless it lines up with history again.

Could someone post a link to the "out of the box" thread?

Thanks!!

I didn't find samples of the Prentice Hall books, but the three I linked to are $10, $15, and $20 used on Amazon.

We used BJU in 6th it was my favorite year of BJU, but I didn't suggest that since you said not BJU or Apologia.

Debbie,

5th and 6th grades BJU were indeed my favorites too. 7th, not so much. I also really want an overall general science since coming out of the Apologia studies. We liked Apologia elementary. It was good paired with the BJU elementary. But, BJU upper level is really, really ambitious. And Apologia upper level is really, really "chatty". There must be a middle of the road somewhere.

Singapore Science Interactive Science A:

http://www.singaporemath.com/Interactive_Science_s/68.htm

It does require planning on your part as it doesn't come with a schedule, but it is rather easy to schedule out.

The workbooks are a great supplement and are an inexpensive addition.

The labs either require a great deal of planning :& money on your part OR must be pared back greatly OR you can skip the Practical Workbook altogether. Labs are not necessary for 7th grade. You could add in from another source if you want. I have done several activities from PW from A & B so could help you out of you do go that route.

The program is solid. Dd used it exclusively. I'm tempted to drop Apol Gen. Sci for ds and use only Singapore Sci for him this year. Dd still uses their HS level programs to supplement Apol Bio this year.