Menu

The Latin Road? Singapore? History? Help me!

TXMomof4

I'm looking for next year and I am so lost I may never find my way out again! This year my two olders have been doing K12 through the PS. I really do like it, but we are moving next year and we will be too late to enroll them in the virtual school there and I can't afford K12 independantly - plus, there are things I like better if I'm paying my own money for it, KWIM?

So, I've been looking at the Bridge to the Latin Road. Both girls are excellent readers, spellers and have a very good understanding of grammar. So, I thought maybe this would be a next logical step.

Any experience with this?

I think we'll go back to Singapore for math. That's what we used up until this year and I'm very impressed with even my non-mathy kids ability in the PS curriculum. So, I"m trusting that it will suffice (with a little supplement) through 6th grade, til we're ready for pre-algebra.

History - I really don't know. We have a good US history that we can finish next year - I may just leave that alone and not try to figure out where we are in the cycle again. Or start the cycle over - use SOTW and suggestions for going through it all again. Any ideas there?

Science - I'm thinking I don't know what to think.

Taking this last year off from planning for myself has completely messed me up! I truly don't know where to start - this is worse than my first year hsing because now it matters more! Huge differences between 6 yo and 6th grade! Yikes!

ETA: The older two will be 5th and 6th grade - ish. They really are pretty much on the same level for everything but math. I would feel completely confident putting them in the same LA, they already do the same history and science.

Younger dd will be using the old stand-bys - FLL, Singapore, SOTW, etc. She has had a very hard time reading up to this point, but seems to have reached a turning point in the last 6 weeks. We may keep FIAR for her and bring ds into that as well.

and love them! the only one we havent used it the latin bridge! sorry

BUT the reason we didnt is that we used the others up to that point and the author did not rec it. If you are going to use her latin series i would say for sure use the latin bridge. i really love her latin series and my children tested out of 1 1/2 years of latin in college. the professors were impressed. the program is easy to follow esp if you have never read or taught latin before.

hope htat helps a bit. please know that the author has been very approachable for assistance.

God bles your plannning

teresa

and love them! the only one we havent used it the latin bridge! sorry

BUT the reason we didnt is that we used the others up to that point and the author did not rec it. If you are going to use her latin series i would say for sure use the latin bridge. i really love her latin series and my children tested out of 1 1/2 years of latin in college. the professors were impressed. the program is easy to follow esp if you have never read or taught latin before.

hope htat helps a bit. please know that the author has been very approachable for assistance.

God bles your plannning

teresa

That is good to hear :) We're in level 2 right now.

The Bridge will give you a nice intro. into the word study and will "finalize" grammar school Latin for you and give one more year of maturity before beginning the LR. It is solid and carries an intense workload. We're also very pleased w/ the results.