Menu

R&S English 3 gripe (or maybe it's just me, LOL!)

lotsofpumpkins

Today I was going over the Unit 3 Review 1 of R&S English 3 with dd. At first, it was going well. For example, What is an action verb? Then it got a bit harder: What are some verbs which show action that cannot easily be seen or heard? At that point I grabbed the TM to make sure we got it right. dd was stumped so I told her "think", but then she couldn't come up with any others on her own. (hope, feel, believe, etc). Here's where I gave up and told her we weren't going to do this today: Which verb forms usually need a helping verb? The answer in the TM is "the forms ending with an n or un sound." Maybe I'm missing something, but I don't see the helping verb lesson stating that specifically. I quickly looked over the teaching portions of the TM and I don't see it there either. dd reads the lessons herself and then we do some orally, and she does some written. Here's my gripe- she knows to use a helping verb with seen, been, etc. But the questions in the oral drill were just so confusing! She ended up in tears over this. I know I'm not the best teacher when it comes to English (I'm a science/math person), but if I'm having trouble figuring out the answers in English 3 without looking in my TM, then I'm a bit concerned about the future! For the first time I'm actually tempted to switch to something else for English next year. I have no idea what I would pick though. Dd might need something spiral like CLE but I don't really want something consumable. She thrives in CLE math though.

Anyway, am I making any sense or do I just need to accept the fact that my dd won't always be able to figure out what the answers are? (I even made her go back and re-read the lesson on helping verbs and she was still just guessing words at random). I did go ahead and have her start on the written portion of the review, so hopefully she does okay with that!

I think you are going to find that no matter what program you use there will be things about it that bother you. I would suggest that for the oral drill you ask the question, if she doesn't get it just give her the answer. Also, I find it helpful to at least skim over the lesson before going over it with the dc to make sure that I understand it myself. I also look through the problems to make sure I can work them.:D It helps when I have the answers right there!

I wouldn't give up on R&S... it might just be that grammar doesn't come naturally to your daughter and she's going to have to work harder to understand it. The nice thing about R&S is that it repeats things from year to year. If she doesn't quite get it in 3rd... it will come back around. Especially since you say grammar isn't your strong point, you may have to put extra time into it too to make sure you understand the lesson before you teach it. I've done a lot of other grammar programs with my oldest and really, R&S is a good one!

As far as the "invisible" verbs... I think those are hard for concrete children. I just explained it as something you can't actually "see" someone do. (ie. I can't "see" you "think") I think you could leave it at that and let it settle in a bit. Even bring it up to her at different times outside of "school". For example: when you tell her that you love her, you could say..."by the way... that was an invisible verb! Can you "see" me love you? No, but "to love" is a verb anyway.... you just can't see it. Maybe real life examples would help her to make the connection.

The answer to your specific question on helper forms of the verbs ending in "n" or "un" can be found in lesson 62. In the student book it's about 1/2 way down the page. In the teacher's guide the lesson is found on page 157.

When we do the oral review (generally we don't do oral, I just assign the writing portion) I have the answers right there in front of me. While grammar is generally pretty easy for me at this point, I'm sure there will be things in the future I will need to study ahead for. :D

Anyway, am I making any sense or do I just need to accept the fact that my dd won't always be able to figure out what the answers are?

Probably. None of mine always answer the questions in the review correctly. If they pause too long, I just give them the answer and then have them give it back to me. Eventually they do remember the answer and are able to rattle it off when asked. My theory is that is why R&S reviews like it does. It takes a while to drill the material into short and longterm memory. :001_smile:

I'm with you on this. I just did this review with my daughter this week. I thought the oral questions were less straight forward then usual and struggled to come up with the right answers and this is my second time through R & S English 3.

Let me encourage you to hang in there. Most of it is more straight forward I think than this particular review. My son is now doing level 6 and really knows grammar compared with most of his peers.

The "n" sound is in there. We just reviewed that particular note for helping verbs. It is not in a lesson with helping verbs per se, but instead is with past and present forms - I have eaten. :) This one is the one dd came up with when we studied the lesson.

I can get to the page if you need.

Edited by ChrissySC

We just did that one last week. To be honest, my son doesn't get it all either and I usually skip questions that are worded in a confusing way, or I will make up my own question that is a little clearer. I figure it isn't a huge deal if he doesn't get ALL of it right now since it will all be re-visited in older grades. He gets the gist of it and sometimes surprises me at what he DOES know, so I say that's pretty good. I'm pretty relaxed about it.

Thanks everyone! I figured that stuff was all in there somewhere, but since I'm letting her read the lessons herself, I don't always know what is covered. I suppose I should start reading them too! We finished going over the lesson this afternoon and there were some more tears, but dh stepped in and helped her. She's getting over being sick and is tired, so I know that doesn't help.

I'm not going to switch to another program; I just needed to vent.