Menu

Wow! Did you see this blog about the teacher ranting about her stupid students?

I doubt that it falls under free speech if she uses her real name online. People from her community would know who is in her class and therefore that makes it libel or potentially, could make it libel if not a violation of the privacy rights of the student. My friends who are public school teachers tend to vent to me personally and I have an idea who specifically they are talking about. They need to vent and so I keep my mouth shut about their ventings around here so that no one in the community gets wind of it. They'd be fired under the libel, student privacy, lack of professionalism, etc. clauses of their employment contracts.

Faith

Wow! I can see a vent about apathetic students, but wow. There were several students that left comments that were quite interesting and people wonder why students give up. She sounds like a fruity loop though, if that is all she sees in her students perhaps she need a different profession.

I'm surprised she's not getting more support here :p

This line, "Too smart for her own good and refuses to play the school 'game' such that she'll never live up to her true potential here." could have come from a few of the threads in the hive. I mean, reading what she wrote I'm thinking, hey I knew those kids!!!!

Her mistake was posting a picture. If she'd kept it to her first name and last initial she'd have been fine.

I'm surprised she's not getting more support here :p

This line, "Too smart for her own good and refuses to play the school 'game' such that she'll never live up to her true potential here." could have come from a few of the threads in the hive. I mean, reading what she wrote I'm thinking, hey I knew those kids!!!!

Her mistake was posting a picture. If she'd kept it to her first name and last initial she'd have been fine.

That's what I was thinking, why use her name at all? :tongue_smilie:

Blogging about students is wrong and her behavior is unprofessional. Whereas the comments she would like to use may be accurate, posting them for the world to see is passive-aggressive. This blog was not written in the heat of the moment, she began the blog at work and then continued at home. She knew what she was doing and wrote with vehemence.

What makes this blog particularly repulsive is that her comments were not directed solely at the perceived intellectual ineptitude of her students but also at their basic personalities and the child-rearing abilities of the parents. She crossed a line.

I wish someone had taught them what 'free speech' actually means. It does not guarantee anything other than the government cannot throw you in jail for most speech. It does not guarantee you a job or an audience.

This teacher is probably burned out and does not belong in a classroom. I can empathize with her frustration but I completely disagree with posting it on the internet. One can type it into a Word document, write it in a journal, talk to a friend - or the walls for that matter. Of course she should be able to vent but the internet isn't the place for it.

Bottom line- you put it on the internet you best be ready for the backlash. Once it's there it's public.

And yes, some of her comments really irked me. Shy - which I was - is not something you grow out of. Public school made me more withdrawn -not less. Probably cause I thought the teacher's felt about me what she so publicly confirmed she felt about her students.

Blogging about students is wrong and her behavior is unprofessional. Whereas the comments she would like to use may be accurate, posting them for the world to see is passive-aggressive. This blog was not written in the heat of the moment, she began the blog at work and then continued at home. She knew what she was doing and wrote with vehemence.

What makes this blog particularly repulsive is that her comments were not directed solely at the perceived intellectual ineptitude of her students but also at their basic personalities and the child-rearing abilities of the parents. She crossed a line.

:iagree:

Hiding under anonymity would not have made what she did acceptable.

Except that ranting about the activities of ps students, their attitudes, their issues, and their parents is VERY acceptable. People bat those topics around rather often. If anything, complaining about schools, students, parents, &tc is sop for gatherings of parents, students and/or teachers.

Guest RecumbentHeart

I totally don't support her in her behavior or attitude but I really would think that if you're going to publish such things that you'd have enough mind to do so privately and/or anonymously.

That was not a wise decision on her part.

It used to irritate me when teachers would go off on how "all students are like X" when we were there to try to get students to NOT generalize!

Teacher-student conferences......I can tell you that I always tried to think of something nice to say! Even if the kid was a difficult kid, I could come up with something!

If you don't like students, don't teach......I have little patience for teachers who don't like students at all.

Dawn

:iagree:

I taught middle school and I totally understand her frustration but to blog about it is just STUPID!

Ummm, I don't know...

Maybe it was hyperbole? Perhaps? She is an English teacher. It is so over-the-top...

It did seem to me that she was trying to be funny. Granted, not smart. She says she is going to explore an alternative reason for the comments she received in school. She even made a joke about not wanting to believe she was like that. Here it is, "This was NOT me. It couldn't have been. I was a delight!!"

Again, I am not saying it was smart. I hate to say, there is likely a lot of truth to what she is saying.

Danielle

I understand she may be frustrated and burnt out, but I'm looking at her students' comments and it appears that her attitude towards them showed through and through in the workplace. I really can't blame her students either. I had some teachers that were wonderful and others that simply did not belong in a classroom setting.

The sense that I get from reading teacher's blogs is that there seems to be a huge discipline problem in the schools.

that's what I got, too.

I don't know. Most of the time I want to get my teaching degree and make a change out there once my kids are done. When I read stuff like that-which I bet I the God's honest truth of the situation (regardless of whether her posts were right or wrong)- I wonder what I think I'll be changing. I'm not into exercises in futility.

Hubby's reaction, as a school teacher, when I told him about it...

1. She's acting completely unprofessional.

2. Unless her contract specifies no commenting about school life she shouldn't be fired for it, unless she used student's names. Written reprimand would be an automatic response.

3. But then he noticed she said she was blogging AT WORK and according to his contract that would be automatic dismissal.

3. He understands her frustration with her job.

Hubby's reaction, as a school teacher, when I told him about it...

1. She's acting completely unprofessional.

2. Unless her contract specifies no commenting about school life she shouldn't be fired for it, unless she used student's names. Written reprimand would be an automatic response.

3. But then he noticed she said she was blogging AT WORK and according to his contract that would be automatic dismissal.

3. He understands her frustration with her job.

According to the article, that was the trigger that got pulled...she blogged at work and even deleted it from work.

According to the article, that was the trigger that got pulled...she blogged at work and even deleted it from work.

Yep. Using a cell phone during class time (other than a 911 emergency), getting on Facebook or other social networking sites, or blogging all result in immediate dismissal.

And I'll add that this lady sounds like a real peach. I wouldn't want her teaching my kids.

Well...she saw major problems in the ps system...and rather than deal with it like an adult, she chose to behave like the children she's "stuck with."

I feel some sympathy...what options do teachers actually have to make real changes? She is stuck...and she probably had the best of intentions when she graduated with that Ed Degree, but she's sitting there in an impossible situation. (Teaching to the test, dealing with behavior problems, trying to teach kids who've had 10 years of drill and kill and in rebellion of all things school...)

She should write a book.:tongue_smilie::lol:

As long as someone doesn't use names, I see no problem with it.

I am around quite a few teachers in the evening while the boys are in karate. Those women use full names when talking and complaining about students. One of them is the karate sensei's wife. I sometimes wonder if he does the same as his wife about any of his karate students. I've never heard him. Besides it's not like I can ask him and he'd admit to it if he did.

As long as someone doesn't use names, I see no problem with it.

I am around quite a few teachers in the evening while the boys are in karate. Those women use full names when talking and complaining about students. One of them is the karate sensei's wife. I sometimes wonder if he does the same as his wife about any of his karate students. I've never heard him. Besides it's not like I can ask him and he'd admit to it if he did.

Wow! My husband doesn't even tell ME the names of the kids he is having problems with. He just says, "Remember the kid who did x? Well he did y today."

Good Lord. I'm not really sure of my opinion of this woman, though she doesn't sound like a very motivated or engaged educator (based on her statements in the article linked). As I was reading the comments she would really like to put on her students' report cards, I wondered which would have applied to me in high school. Would I have been an automaton, too shy for my own good, etc? Really, I was just a kid with an alcoholic mother and an abusive father. I was afraid of my own shadow back then. It might have helped to have a teacher take an interest in me and maybe ask a few questions, rather than just write me off as another PITA. :confused:

Edited by Pretty in Pink

I thought she was extremely unprofessional and disrespectful. In a way, she was acting like the students that commented. I would have no respect for her as a student and neither as a parent.

On the other hand, I can understand her frustration, but dropping down to that level doesn't solve anything and can get you fired.

Just read this article about a teacher who was suspended after writing a blog in which she calls her students "rude, disengaged, lazy whiners". The "worst" post is right here where she lists all the things she'd like to put on her students' evaluations. Wow!!

The blog has been removed, it seems. :eek:

How interesting that the characteristics she attributes to her students describe her well - or at least some of the less offensive ones. How incredibly sad.

I didn't read many comments, but this one was my favorite:

"Jokes on you because this link is being cycled throughout the students of

CB East via facebook. Have fun applying for unemployment.

Sincerely,

"cooperative in class."

:D

Should be some lively school board and PTA meetings. :tongue_smilie:

I have to say though that when I taught in public school, I finally stopped eating in the teacher's lounge because the attitudes of the teachers were so bad and so was their language.

Maybe it was because they just degraded themselves by the company they kept in their classroom.

I am wise in leaving the teaching profession because I didn't want to become one of the complaining teachers. I have my life and I don't want to be consumed by what is happening in student A or student B's life. It simply is not the right profession for me.

Maybe it was because they just degraded themselves by the company they kept in their classroom.

I am wise in leaving the teaching profession because I didn't want to become one of the complaining teachers. I have my life and I don't want to be consumed by what is happening in student A or student B's life. It simply is not the right profession for me.

I can't tell if this is a sarcastic comment or not. I ate with the students and had a lovely time. I valued them and what was happening in their lives. And I think they valued me back (they all called me "Mom").

I can't tell if this is a sarcastic comment or not. I ate with the students and had a lovely time. I valued them and what was happening in their lives. And I think they valued me back (they all called me "Mom").

I bet they did!!! :D I vote we get to start calling you "Mom" to!

I remember when I was in college, I became good friends w/my bio prof. There was an email circulated about comments that should be available for report cards...one of which was, "Somewhere, a village is missing its idiot". *shrug* She was a dumb bunny for having her name, the school's name, and blogging from work.