Menu

Nook/Kindle

I know this has been discussed like a billion times but I just can not decide which one I want.

I planned on getting the Kindle but like the fact of getting library books on the Nook.

So help me out here~

Does the Kindle have games on it? What other things can it do?

What about the Nook, any games? What else can it do?

I hate this~I wonder if I can talk my hubby into getting the one I don't choose :tongue_smilie:

ETA~I am searching old posts now

We've decided to get the Nook Color. It can do more than the Kindle and future updates seem to promise additional funtionality. I feel it's worth the price difference and I want something for now while I await the release of the HP Touchpad. The only problem is getting one as they appear to be on backorder (at least everywhere I've checked so far).

It seems the NookColor has more than the Nook.

When you are reading on the NookColor do you feel like you are reading on the computer? Does that make sense?

I just don't want to spend the extra money on the color if it feels like I'm reading on the computer.

Games and things aren't a deal breaker for me either.

I am just having a tough time deciding which device I want

There are a couple of games built into the kindle and there are more games available for it. The ilmk blog has some information which might be helpful to you. I have a few games on mine. I usually read books on it, but it's nice to have a quick game to play when I need a little diversion. The kindle is so awesome. I'm amazed at how attached I am to it. It goes almost everywhere with me.

I have a Kindle and I love it. Unfortunately our library does not utilize ebooks yet, which helped me make my decision. I find the Kindle very easy to use and very comfortable to read. If checking out ebooks is important to you, you will probably be happier with the Nook. Not sure if or when the Kindle will do this.

Adrianne in IL

I have the Nook (not the color one). It has two games on it. Sudoku and Chess. It uses the e-ink technology, so it's not like reading on a computer screen.

Strangely, when I went to Barnes and Noble to compare the Nook to the Nook Color, the salesman was actively discouraging me from getting the Nook Color. DH ran into the same thing when he went to B&N to buy the Nook for me. (It was a Christmas present.)

I have read books on both the Nook and the Kindle. I find the Nook's controls easier to use, but notice no difference in the actual reading experience.

A friend of mine got a Nook for Christmas and took it back to the store. She said that the way it changed pages and the way the backlighting was irritated her. That's all I know!

:confused:

That's weird. I got a Nook for Christmas; I can't imagine any other way that pages could change, or why it would irritate someone.

But whatever.

I like being able to go into a B&N and read any book B&N sells, for free, for an hour at a time.

I am planning to sample both, by visiting my local Target (which is supposed to have a Kindle) and Barnes and Noble. I am really looking for one for my adult son with autism who can not read, but enjoys books (like TinTin) - it would be GREAT to find an adult equivalent to a Leap Frog that will read TO him*. He doesn't like a live person sitting with him to read to him any more (at 19 a guy likes some independence!)

* There is ONE Scooby Doo book for Leap Frog - he'd love that - but I can not see buying the entire Leap Frog system for ONE book!

Odd are, if either contraption works well, they won't have books SillyAutismMan wants to "read" anyway....

Other: Sony Reader.

No color, but they use touch screens, which I find to be very intuitive. They can also do library books. Try one in person at Borders or Best Buy. The smallest size, the 350, is on sale for $129 until 2/14. I have the larger 950, which is more expensive than Kindle, but I think it is soooo worth it.

A friend of mine got a Nook for Christmas and took it back to the store. She said that the way it changed pages and the way the backlighting was irritated her. That's all I know!

Was this the Nook or Nook Color? The Nook doesn't have backlighting.

If somebody is bothered by the lighting and page turning of the Nook, I would bet they're not going to like the Kindle either. They are very similar.

I had the hardest time deciding between a Kindle and a Nook. I thought I was finally settled on the Kindle - but then changed my mind and went with a Nook (not the color one.)

I love it. I can't believe how much I love it.

What made you decide on the Nook v/s Nook color?

I like being able to go into a B&N and read any book B&N sells, for free, for an hour at a time.

I didn't know it could do that! :drool:

Just got back from Barnes & Noble with my Nook Color :D

Setting it up now

Like I asked the poster above, what made you do the Nook Color v/s the nook?

Like I asked the poster above, what made you do the Nook Color v/s the nook?

I went in thinking I was going to get the Nook.

I was concerned about eye strain(with the color) because it's like a computer screen. I asked if people have had issues with eye strain and they told me no.

Lots of people were there to ask questions so I stood around and listened.

There is suppose to be an update in the future that will put the Android Market on it(that's what the guy said) so that should be fun too.

The sales guy did say if you are looking for something to just read, go with the Nook. If you want something that does more, go with the Color.

My husband said if I wanted the color(after playing with it a bit) that I could get it :001_smile:

So far I am having fun messing around with it and looking for books to load on it.

Get the Nook. I received a Kindle as a gift and am very grateful for it. But, I don't spend money on books for me because I go through them too quickly. I'd rather be able to borrow from the library. Get the Nook.

Considering how many books you can get free for Kindle, this is a non-issue for me. You can't get all books from the library in ebook format anyway, even if you are fortunate to have a library that offers them.

It seems the NookColor has more than the Nook.

When you are reading on the NookColor do you feel like you are reading on the computer? Does that make sense?

I just don't want to spend the extra money on the color if it feels like I'm reading on the computer.

Games and things aren't a deal breaker for me either.

I am just having a tough time deciding which device I want

I just asked for Kindall for my b-day because it has free 3G. I thought it would be good to use when I'm out and away from wifi. Does anyone have one with 3G? Does Nook have 3G capabilities?

Not sure about Nook, but Nook Color is just wifi/no 3G.

I LOVE my Nook Color. However, after the first day of using it, I had the worst eye strain and had like a car sickness feeling. So I adjusted the brightness --and you can even change the background color, which I did change to black with white text,-- and dimmed it, and I was fine after that.

A few weeks ago I was reading in the store and after about an hour, I got that same sickish feeling back. I realized later that I had turned the brightness back up, so I think that was the problem.

I am considering buying the regular Nook for my son, who does have eye issues. A benefit I have discovered of these electronic readers is that you can adjust the font size and spacing, making books that my son would have never have attempted to read, readable for him.

I am thinking I should have said "yes please" when DH asked if I wanted a Nook for valentine's day. :glare:

It is always hard for me to spend money on myself, and even if he is the one getting it, it is still our money, and I know there are other things we should be spending it on or saving it for. But I know I would use it...hmmm...

Those of you who have recently bought a nook color, please come back and post how you like it, or even if you don't. :bigear:

I am thinking I should have said "yes please" when DH asked if I wanted a Nook for valentine's day. :glare:

It is always hard for me to spend money on myself, and even if he is the one getting it, it is still our money, and I know there are other things we should be spending it on or saving it for. But I know I would use it...hmmm...

Those of you who have recently bought a nook color, please come back and post how you like it, or even if you don't. :bigear:

i don't like it. Dd16 does. I'll keep my Kindle.

Considering how many books you can get free for Kindle, this is a non-issue for me. You can't get all books from the library in ebook format anyway, even if you are fortunate to have a library that offers them.

:iagree:

And I bought a Kindle today :) My Dad actually bought himself one and likes it so much, he called me and told me he would buy me one for an early Birthday present. I hate Best Buy, but they sell all of them, so you can go play with all of them if you want. If you buy a Kindle this weekend, you'll get a free carrying case. So, I did! I didn't get the one with 3G. I went cheap because I don't travel, and I didn't really see the need for 3G. There are wireless hotspots all over town, and, even if I do travel, I just have to remember to down load the books before I leave.

As a side note, I had nixed the Nook Color. I hate reading on the computer. HATE it when my Teacher's guides are on computer and just couldn't see spending the money.

Blessings!

Dorinda

So far I am loving it(nook color). My almost 3 year old loves it too(haha). It comes loaded with 2 kids books and it will read you the books(he wants to do it over and over).

I do not like spending money on myself either. I buy for everyone else before I buy something for myself(even with my own Christmas/Birthday money).

I have the brightness turned way down and I mainly read laying in bed(in the dark). I read for over an hour last night and didn't have any issues with eye strain. I wear glasses/contacts but I can read without my glasses.

I can't wait to download a library book :D I had a late fee and put off paying it for a long time. I stopped in today and paid it so I can get a book.

I just asked for Kindall for my b-day because it has free 3G. I thought it would be good to use when I'm out and away from wifi. Does anyone have one with 3G? Does Nook have 3G capabilities?

I have the one that has 3G and wifi. It was a birthday present, but dh did ask me which one I wanted. It's not a feature I used often, but I have used it. It was worth the extra money to us.

I don't know if the Nook is available with both.

I have the one that has 3G and wifi. It was a birthday present, but dh did ask me which one I wanted. It's not a feature I used often, but I have used it. It was worth the extra money to us.

I don't know if the Nook is available with both.

My Nook has both 3G and wifi.

I had the hardest time deciding between a Kindle and a Nook. I thought I was finally settled on the Kindle - but then changed my mind and went with a Nook (not the color one.)

I love it. I can't believe how much I love it.

What made you decide on the Nook v/s Nook color?

Mostly - price. It was actually a birthday present (my bday is a week before Xmas) and DH was able to get it on a Black Friday deal for only $99.

Plus - I didn't want the backlit screen. Since I didn't plan on using it for kid's books, or magazines, I didn't see the need for the color version, either.

hth! :)

I decided that I wanted an ereader and narrowed my choices between kindle and nook.

I went to B&N twice to play with the nook and to take a class. The class is oriented towards new purchasers but they will give you a loaner if you don't have one yet.

I ultimately went with a kindle for the following reasons:

1. We live overseas and getting books for the kindle is MUCH EASIER than for the nook. So, if you expect to travel and want to buy and download books while overseas, go with a Kindle.

2. One distinct advantage of the nook is the ability to go into any B&N and sit and read any ebook offering for an hour. Since we aren't stateside most of the time, that did not enter into my "what's best for me" equation. Even if we did live stateside, I don't know if I would use that option enough. My college-aged daughter does all the time, though, so it is definitely something to consider.

3. Kindle 3's battery power life is almost twice as long as nook's. I really can go 3-4 weeks before charges which I like.

4. I'm showing my age, but I prefer a button screen (kindle) to a touch screen (nook).

5. I have over 200 books on my kindle and I've paid for only 3 so far. I also have about six games--also gotten for free. Project Gutenberg has a downloadable-to-kindle file with 1000's of titles that you can click from your kindle and the title will download automatically onto the kindle. It is fantastic! Also, many publishers offer NEW releases for free (usually for a short window time to boost sales ratings) and by visiting blogs that keep up with these offerings, I usually get 2-3 free books per week--books that I wouldn't always pay money for but would check out of a library perhaps. I love it.

These are the main reasons I went with a kindle. I had no desire to get a color nook so my comparisons are with the basic nook.

hth,

Congratulations...On the subject of library fines...BE SURE to find out you library policy on e-books. Our library has a limit, and the books only last on your e-reader for 2 weeks...Then they disappear..poof, gone forever:confused:.

I'm enjoying this thread. One day, I"m going to get one too, but no idea right now which one.

So far I am loving it(nook color). My almost 3 year old loves it too(haha). It comes loaded with 2 kids books and it will read you the books(he wants to do it over and over).

I do not like spending money on myself either. I buy for everyone else before I buy something for myself(even with my own Christmas/Birthday money).

I have the brightness turned way down and I mainly read laying in bed(in the dark). I read for over an hour last night and didn't have any issues with eye strain. I wear glasses/contacts but I can read without my glasses.

I can't wait to download a library book :D I had a late fee and put off paying it for a long time. I stopped in today and paid it so I can get a book.

Can someone tell me what 3G is? I am way out in the country with no internet flying around in the air. We have to do it the old fashioned way. What does 3G do? Would it help me? I don't know if wifi would work out here-does it magically solve that?

3G is your cell phone connection. If you own a Kindle, you automatically connect with At&T with no contract, free of charge. I think the Nook connects with Verizon. Since you live way out in the country, if you get a decent cell phone signal, 3G is the way you should go. However, find out WHICH cell works in your area. I went cheap and bought the Kindle without 3G because there's wifi everywhere (I live in a city). Also, I don't know that 3G is necessary even if I travel (one every year or two), because as long as the books are downloaded to my kindle before I leave, I'm good to go! It's only if I want to buy books or have a subscription to a newspaper that 3G/wifi matters.

HTH!

Dorinda

I read that the Kindle CAN connect to the internet for email and such, is this TRUE?

I've read that too, but it's not something I've tried. :) My dad bought one this weekend too and downloaded the file that converts PDF files. I'm going to get with him this weekend and see what all he's discovered. He has a little more time to play with the Kindle than me :D

Well, I own a Kindle, and love it, but last night I was at B&N & was playing around with the Nook color. right off the bat I was disconcerted with the backlit lcd, and the page turning. My eyes just don't like that computery feel for actual reading. I would definitely get the sickish headache if I had to read this for long. Also, there are no page turn buttons, you just finger swipe the screen back and forth to scroll the pages. I don't deal well with that kind of visual motion. On the kindle, it is more of "disappear, reappear" when you hit the page turn, as opposed to the actual left/right scrolling. I didn't like having to swipe the screen every time either. I much prefer the quick thumb button on the Kindle. There was also annoying lag when scrolling the pages. I'd swipe the screen, and it would take a second for the screen to "catch up". Kindle is much quicker. I have to say I just love the e-ink a lot more. Color or not, I was NOT impressed. BTW, Kindle has a few free games (word game, minesweep, poker), and others for pretty cheap. JMO :o).

Kayleen

I am planning to sample both, by visiting my local Target (which is supposed to have a Kindle) and Barnes and Noble. I am really looking for one for my adult son with autism who can not read, but enjoys books (like TinTin) - it would be GREAT to find an adult equivalent to a Leap Frog that will read TO him*. He doesn't like a live person sitting with him to read to him any more (at 19 a guy likes some independence!)

* There is ONE Scooby Doo book for Leap Frog - he'd love that - but I can not see buying the entire Leap Frog system for ONE book!

Odd are, if either contraption works well, they won't have books SillyAutismMan wants to "read" anyway....

The nook will read to him.

My son really likes turning the pages. He now runs his hands along the tv like it is a touchscreen trying to flip through the movies on netflix . :lol:

I have researched this a lot in the past couple of days, obsessed over it yesterday. Since I don't have a smart phone, I really want the 3G capabilities to check email while I am out and about. I REALLLY wish the NookColor had 3G. It is did, I would be decided by now! The regular Nook and Kindle both CAN do email, but it seems it is pretty difficult. Anyone have experience with that?

Maybe I need to get a smart phone, too. HA!

There is a neat site for kindle users entitled "Free eBooks and Tips" at

http://www.fkbt.wordpress.com

Today's "tip" is checking your email on a Kindle. Worth a quick read if you want to see how to do it.... Plus, if you visit the site regularly (I do), you will get head's up on FREE kindle books being offered at Amazon and elsewhere....

hth,

One more question....which options will read a book aloud to a child? I know Nookcolor does, how about the others?

Kindle reads aloud, but it sounds a step above robotic. It doesn't really flow right. You can go to Best Buy and play with all three (Sony, Nook, Kindle). I don't know how the Nook sounds.

HTH!

Dorinda