Menu

Cuisenaire Rods-based program that is NOT Miquon?

Jay3fer

I love Cuisenaire Rods and they work well for my dd (almost 6; Grade K/1ish), so we started on Miquon at the beginning of the year, but I found myself desperately craving a program with more structure and less prep.

We're now on a workbook that we both enjoy (JUMP Math, a local Canadian curriculum that is FABULOUS!), but I am finding myself wanting to jump in and supplement with the rods because they are SO concrete and logical. How better to illustrate the distributive property - of COURSE 3 plus 2 equals 2 plus 3. And I'd love to keep using them for multiplication, fractions, etc. but don't want to go back to Miquon.

Any suggestions for a curriculum supplement that uses rods?

I have heard of Mathematics Made Meaningful, which uses C-rods, but I have no idea if it is more structured than Miquon.

C-rods can be used with any Math curriculum or worksheet. I know CIMT-MEP uses number strips and some users use C-rods instead. We have used C-rods with Singapore Math and Math Mammoth.

Since you like JUMP Math, I would suggest you keep doing it with C-rods for the concrete aspect.

HTH

The only 'program' I know of is Math Made Meaningful. It was discussed somewhat on this thread:

http://www.welltrainedmind.com/forums/showthread.php?t=243744&highlight=miquon

I don't have experience with it yet, but am ordering it soon. My verdict is still out with Miquon. I can't find anything else that I like better though! So, we are sticking it out while making some changes to suit our needs. Hope you find what you're looking for!