Menu

Statement of Faith?

• Replies 479
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I do understand this second part of what you said. I myself am likely to be far more comfortable around someone who professes a different faith but strives for compassion and morality and who truly wants to live their faith, than someone who professes my faith and yet approaches it in a very different way, or has very different values.

That said, however, I also understand that those parents who prefer faith-based homeschooling groups and other activities are doing what they feel is right and necessary for the well-being of their children. I don't think it's fair to assume that they are less loving or less compassionate than the rest of us. I think it is their profound love for their children that motivates them. And let's be honest, how many of us parents would *not* put the well-being of our own children above the convenience, desires, or even needs of others? My daughter comes first for me, even if that means inconveniencing or offending others.

If I had the option of joining an Eastern Orthodox Christian homeschooling co-op, I would jump at the chance. If there were a private EOC school in the area, I would even give serious thought to sending my daughter there. It is beyond important to me that she grows up to understand that our faith is an entire way of life - it is the air we breathe and the light by which we see. It is NOT just something that we do on Sunday mornings. So for those people who are able to join homeschooling groups that help them accomplish their spiritual goals for their children, well . . . I get it. That's all. :)

This is very well said. I think we have many different issues though being discussed over one another.

I personally wouldn't have an issue with a group that identifies itself as EO, RC, Calvinist, Baptist or so for. The difficulty I still have is when they call themselves "Christian" and then exclude from there.

Much better to just be upfront about it. I to would love to have access to an EO group, but if that group was the only group in the area and blanketly excluded every other type of christian (not just from teaching positions), I would not feel comfortable attending.

I do understand this second part of what you said. I myself am likely to be far more comfortable around someone who professes a different faith but strives for compassion and morality and who truly wants to live their faith, than someone who professes my faith and yet approaches it in a very different way, or has very different values.

That said, however, I also understand that those parents who prefer faith-based homeschooling groups and other activities are doing what they feel is right and necessary for the well-being of their children. I don't think it's fair to assume that they are less loving or less compassionate than the rest of us. I think it is their profound love for their children that motivates them. And let's be honest, how many of us parents would *not* put the well-being of our own children above the convenience, desires, or even needs of others? My daughter comes first for me, even if that means inconveniencing or offending others.

If I had the option of joining an Eastern Orthodox Christian homeschooling co-op, I would jump at the chance. If there were a private EOC school in the area, I would even give serious thought to sending my daughter there. It is beyond important to me that she grows up to understand that our faith is an entire way of life - it is the air we breathe and the light by which we see. It is NOT just something that we do on Sunday mornings. So for those people who are able to join homeschooling groups that help them accomplish their spiritual goals for their children, well . . . I get it. That's all. :)

I do feel it is my job to give my child strong foundations. If I felt she was spiritually in danger or there was more going on that just playing or hanging out with friends then I would address that with them. I would not be ok with others proselytizing to my child. I would also not be ok if another child was telling my child things like "believing in God is dumb" or "Christians are delusional" or something like that.

None of that has happened though.

My children of my pagan friends are not any different than the children of my Christian friends. I haven't seen anything to protect her *from* is what I am saying. If my pagan friends are doing a pagan activity then we wouldn't attend, just as they wouldn't attend our celebration of Easter.

We don't mix our religions. If I don't know the adult I wouldn't want them teaching my child, but that would go for Christians as well as non-Christians. There are many Christians I wouldn't allow near my kids, but would it be appropriate to have a SOF against crazy conspiracy theories??

If I could afford private christian school I would consider it. That would be great.

Edited by Sis

While politically I'm about as conservative as they come I prefer a lot more diversity in the people I meet and mingle with. I can honestly say I don't like people with a very narrow view of the world. I find "my way or the highway" attitude to be very icky.

In regular, everyday life, I have no issue with mingling with all sorts of people. I work with people of all ages and of varying creeds. I have no problems with any of them. I even LIKE most of them. ;) BUT, when it comes to instructing my dd, I draw lines as to what I'll allow to be presented to her and how it's presented and who does the presenting. Hence, I have no problems with SOF's and no problem saying "no thanks" to any group whose SOF I don't agree with. I guess I don't look at it as, "Will they accept me?" I look at it as, "Will I accept THEM?"

I do feel it is my job to give my child strong foundations. If I felt she was spiritually in danger or there was more going on that just playing or hanging out with friends then I would address that with them. I would not be ok with others proselytizing to my child. I would also not be ok if another child was telling my child things like "believing in God is dumb" or "Christians are delusional" or something like that.

My children of my pagan friends are not any different than the children of my Christian friends. I haven't seen anything to protect her *from* is what I am saying. If my pagan friends are doing a pagan activity then we wouldn't attend, just as they wouldn't attend our celebration of Easter.

We don't mix our religions. If I don't know the adult I wouldn't want them teaching my child, but that would go for Christians as well as non-Christians. There are many Christians I wouldn't allow near my kids, but would it be appropriate to have an SOF against crazy conspiracy theories??

If I could afford private christian school I would consider it. That would be great.

:D I think this is an example of how we're coming at it from different angles. Your right in that I can't fathom having to sign a SOF to play at a park, go to the zoo, or attend an art class...with a group. It really does, not make sense to me.

But we are all really talking in circles :001_smile: I think there are always going to be people who see other belifes as a threat to be avoided. And others who don't see it as a threat.

This is very well said. I think we have many different issues though being discussed over one another.

I personally wouldn't have an issue with a group that identifies itself as EO, RC, Calvinist, Baptist or so for. The difficulty I still have is when they call themselves "Christian" and then exclude from there.

Much better to just be upfront about it. I to would love to have access to an EO group, but if that group was the only group in the area and blanketly excluded every other type of christian (not just from teaching positions), I would not feel comfortable attending.

:iagree: Yes! It goes back to the whole "you're not a 'real' Christian, but I am" absurdity.

:D I think this is an example of how we're coming at it from different angles. Your right in that I can't fathom having to sign a SOF to play at a park, go to the zoo, or attend an art class...with a group. It really does, not make sense to me.

But we are all really talking in circles :001_smile: I think there are always going to be people who see other belifes as a threat to be avoided. And others who don't see it as a threat.

I guess it is just really individual. The people I know are also considerate and respectful of other's religions. If they were not we probably wouldn't get along. I do realize that some with more "Liberal" beliefs can be just as overbearing and nasty as people who are conservative. If someone was being all "nasty athiest" at me then it would be a far different story. I wouldn't allow that around my kid. I don't see a certain group as a threat, I see individuals as a threat.

The only book I have ever banned from my home was The Golden Compass series and it was because I felt he crossed the line where I am not ok with it anymore and that he is a douchebag.

Edited by Sis

That is a good point.

but if that group was the only group in the area and blanketly excluded every other type of christian (not just from teaching positions), I would not feel comfortable attending.

I'm sure I would feel differently in that situation too. Where I live, there are many Christian groups which are Protestant - and at least some of them have SOFs which mention Protestant theology with which I cannot agree - and there is at least one specifically RC group that I know of. But no specifically EO groups. If I lived in a place where EO was the norm and Protestants were the minority, I would strongly prefer a group/co-op where we could all get together!

In regular, everyday life, I have no issue with mingling with all sorts of people. I work with people of all ages and of varying creeds. I have no problems with any of them. I even LIKE most of them. ;) BUT, when it comes to instructing my dd, I draw lines as to what I'll allow to be presented to her and how it's presented and who does the presenting. Hence, I have no problems with SOF's and no problem saying "no thanks" to any group whose SOF I don't agree with. I guess I don't look at it as, "Will they accept me?" I look at it as, "Will I accept THEM?"

This is just going to have to be where we agree to differ. I look at it teaching dd so differently. I'm not homeschooling for religious reasons so that is probably a huge reason for the different ways we approach this.

If I'm joining (or allowed to join - you can imagine how the "allowed" galls) an ecumenical Christian group (or even a secular group) I expect some things will come up that will need to be discussed at home. If there is a science class where young earth creationism is taught we will talk about it when we get home. I have no problem with YEC being presented even though I'm an old Earth creationist who believes evolution is God's design (yeah, I know, talk about screwy.). As long as the material presented was presented in a way that glorifies God I've got no problem with it. I don't care if Christian young earth creationism presentation is done by a Buddhist monk while in an Islamic mosque on the Jewish Sabbath.

I do to a point agree with being choosy about the material being presented. I'd opt dd out of a sex ed class or a stranger-danger class. I've opted dd out two years in a row here for a mandatory from the diocese presentations because one was about date-rape and the other was about something else I found not appropriate for 10-year olds.

Sure they can. It is done every single day of the year. Otherwise there would still be one Christian church instead of... how many different Christian denominations are there?

So, I could say that I believe Jesus arrived from Neptune on a spacecraft guided by fuzzy pink unicorns and the local Christian group should accept me because I self identify as a Christian?

So, I could say that I believe Jesus arrived from Neptune on a spacecraft guided by fuzzy pink unicorns and the local Christian group should accept me because I self identify as a Christian?

I'm going to regret this :tongue_smilie:. But what would be the harm? I'm mean it's not like you would give the person a platform to teach it. And if my kids came up to me off the playground and said, "Hey, mom little Suzy thinks Jesus came from Mars. Did he?" What a wonderful conversation we would have :D.

That's good. The inclusive group I was in did once have a problem when some people went a little too far in wanting to make the annual Christmas party completely non-Christian. It made me uncomfortable, and I wasn't even a Christian at the time! Some of the Christians did not attend the party at all, because they felt so excluded. But overall, I think the group was really great. We left it for unrelated reasons.

We don't mix our religions. If I don't know the adult I wouldn't want them teaching my child, but that would go for Christians as well as non-Christians. There are many Christians I wouldn't allow near my kids, but would it be appropriate to have a SOF against crazy conspiracy theories??

I can relate to this.

:iagree:

I'm going to regret this :tongue_smilie:. But what would be the harm? I'm mean it's not like you would give the person a platform to teach it. And if my kids came up to me off the playground and said, "Hey, mom little Suzy thinks Jesus came from Mars. Did he?" What a wonderful conversation we would have :D.

The question is, is the person a Christian if this is what they believe? And would you accept it as a valid form of Christianity?

Ultimately is that scenario any different than what we have going on now? Christians can't agree right now on how Jesus arrived. Does the arrival matter or that the above Christian believes that Jesus is his Lord and Savior?

There are some pretty fundamental differences between your Christianity and mine. Which of us isn't really a Christian?

The question is, is the person a Christian if this is what they believe? And would you accept it as a valid form of Christianity?

Yes, because I dont' think the arrival (from Neptue, from a young woman's womb or from a Virgin named Mary) has much to do with following Christ - believing Jesus is one's Lord and Savior.

That's good. The inclusive group I was in did once have a problem when some people went a little too far in wanting to make the annual Christmas party completely non-Christian. It made me uncomfortable, and I wasn't even a Christian at the time! Some of the Christians did not attend the party at all, because they felt so excluded. But overall, I think the group was really great. We left it for unrelated reasons.

I can relate to this.

This sun in our inquirer class our Priest was actually talking about this. He said it was amazing how offended "Christians" get when Target no longer say's "Merry Christmas!" His words were, "For heaven's sake!!! It's their job to sell stuff, not anything else."

Sorry, about your group...guess they weren't totally inclusive. :grouphug:

My bad, I was interpreting your question in light of the thread topic!

It's not my job to say whether someone's belifes are valid or not. That's God's and I'm willing to not take it away from Him.

Ultimately is that scenario any different than what we have going on now? Christians can't agree right now on how Jesus arrived. Does the arrival matter or that the above Christian believes that Jesus is his Lord and Savior?

There are some pretty fundamental differences between your Christianity and mine. Which of us isn't really a Christian?

So, is there no commonality in Christianity at all? Just anyone who says they are a Christian is? There's no objective truth that one must believe about Him?

This is just going to have to be where we agree to differ. I look at it teaching dd so differently. I'm not homeschooling for religious reasons so that is probably a huge reason for the different ways we approach this.

If I'm joining (or allowed to join - you can imagine how the "allowed" galls) an ecumenical Christian group (or even a secular group) I expect some things will come up that will need to be discussed at home. If there is a science class where young earth creationism is taught we will talk about it when we get home. I have no problem with YEC being presented even though I'm an old Earth creationist who believes evolution is God's design (yeah, I know, talk about screwy.). As long as the material presented was presented in a way that glorifies God I've got no problem with it. I don't care if Christian young earth creationism presentation is done by a Buddhist monk while in an Islamic mosque on the Jewish Sabbath.

I do to a point agree with being choosy about the material being presented. I'd opt dd out of a sex ed class or a stranger-danger class. I've opted dd out two years in a row here for a mandatory from the diocese presentations because one was about date-rape and the other was about something else I found not appropriate for 10-year olds.

I see where you're coming from; I think we just have different approaches and viewpoints on how to execute those approaches. That's cool. :)

I'm not even going to dive in to the "what makes a Christian a Christian" discussion. I don't think that's germane to the issue, really. I think the bottom line is, a group wants only people who think like themselves in it. WHAT they think isn't really important--they want to keep those who don't think like them out. Whether or not their theology is correct is another issue entirely.

My bad, I was interpreting your question in light of the thread topic!

It's not my job to say whether someone's belifes are valid or not. That's God's and I'm willing to not take it away from Him.

It was related to the thread topic as well the rabbit trail that it has taken. Many people believe that a group should just call itself a Christian group, have no SOF and then just accept anyone and everyone that self identifies as a Christian.

My question is, is it valid for someone who believes very non-orthodox things about Christ (arriving from Neptune) to call himself a Christian and be embraced as a Christian by the group.

I see where you're coming from; I think we just have different approaches and viewpoints on how to execute those approaches. That's cool. :)

I'm not even going to dive in to the "what makes a Christian a Christian" discussion. I don't think that's germane to the issue, really. I think the bottom line is, a group wants only people who think like themselves in it. WHAT they think isn't really important--they want to keep those who don't think like them out. Whether or not their theology is correct is another issue entirely.[/QUOTE]

Smart! I should have been so wise ;)

Yes, because I dont' think the arrival (from Neptue, from a young woman's womb or from a Virgin named Mary) has much to do with following Christ - believing Jesus is one's Lord and Savior.

Alrighty, then. I don't think there's much basis for discussion without the ability to even come to a definition.:)

It was related to the thread topic as well the rabbit trail that it has taken. Many people believe that a group should just call itself a Christian group, have no SOF and then just accept anyone and everyone that self identifies as a Christian.

My question is, is it valid for someone who believes very non-orthodox things about Christ (arriving from Neptune) to call himself a Christian and be embraced as a Christian by the group.

I can't attest to the first statement, because that is not how I feel. If the second is in light of the first then my answer would be...Yes! (but I really don't embrace non-christians differently)

I can't attest to the first statement, because that is not how I feel. If the second is in light of the first then my answer would be...Yes!

Ok. Got it.

And, FWIW, I was not trying to get into a discussion of what makes a Christian a Christian. I was just trying to get some sort of objective definition as an anchor for what was being discussed.

Fuzzy pink unicorns unite!

So, is there no commonality in Christianity at all? Just anyone who says they are a Christian is? There's no objective truth that one must believe about Him?

Of course there is a commonality. The commonality is being a follower of Christ.

Does the other stuff really matter? When it is all said and done what is the one thing Christians all believe? What is the one thing all Christians can tell God at the gates of Heaven? "I believe you sent your Son to be my Lord and Savior." Period. That is the most basic of what all Christians believe.

Ultimately none of the other stuff matters. It is all secondary. Trappings. Does it matter how old the earth is? Does it matter if Mary was ever virgin? Does it matter if faith alone or good work or a combination of the two or none at all get you where you are going? Leave that stuff for the theologians. A Christian is a follower of Christ Jesus the Son of God. That is the commonality.

Ok. Got it.

And, FWIW, I was not trying to get into a discussion of what makes a Christian a Christian. I was just trying to get some sort of objective definition as an anchor for what was being discussed.

There is no such thing as an objective definition on this board. I don't think we could even all agree that the sky is blue or water is wet. :lol:

I've enjoyed your posts in this thread. I quit :iagree: ing with you because I didn't want to look like some creepy stalker. :D

Ok. Got it.

Where is that thread for funny board posts?? :lol::lol:

tumblr_l8pxdrzxjv1qcd28l.jpg

Ultimately none of the other stuff matters. It is all secondary. Trappings. Does it matter how old the earth is? Does it matter if Mary was ever virgin? Does it matter if faith alone or good work or a combination of the two or none at all get you where you are going? Leave that stuff for the theologians. A Christian is a follower of Christ Jesus the Son of God. That is the commonality.

I'm not even going to dive in to the "what makes a Christian a Christian" discussion. I don't think that's germane to the issue, really. I think the bottom line is, a group wants only people who think like themselves in it. WHAT they think isn't really important--they want to keep those who don't think like them out. Whether or not their theology is correct is another issue entirely.

I know I'm going to regret it. A message board is not the place to discuss this.

The question is, does it matter when we're going to the zoo together? Or hanging out at the park?

If my kid came to me and said, "Suzy says Jesus was a space alien," then we would deal with it.

One of my kids once asked a girl if she was dressing up for Halloween, and the girl answered, "Halloween is the devil's birthday." We dealt with it.

The question is, does it matter when we're going to the zoo together? Or hanging out at the park?

If my kid came to me and said, "Suzy says Jesus was a space alien," then we would deal with it.

One of my kids once asked a girl if she was dressing up for Halloween, and the girl answered, "Halloween is the devil's birthday." We dealt with it.

No. I don't think it matters at all. But, some people might want a distinctive park/field trip group and I just don't get why others feel that that's offensive.

I also don't get why some people feel that those who want a distinctive group are narrow minded and don't want their families mingling with anyone else.:confused:

I'm a part of a hs group that has a statement of faith. I didn't found the group and I didn't write the statement but it's there. That doesn't mean I live an exclusive life. On the contrary. I hang out with, love, respect, etc. all kinds of people who don't believe or live the way I do.

Well, goshdarnit! I'm a pink unicorn, but I'm not fuzzy. Can I still join?

:lol::lol::lol:

Please forgive me.

I have a feeling I'm being made fun of here....but...

Yes, you can join. There is no statement of faith. In fact, you can define unicorn however you'd like, even if you're just a regular old horse.;)

There is no such thing as an objective definition on this board. I don't think we could even all agree that the sky is blue or water is wet. :lol:

I've enjoyed your posts in this thread. I quit :iagree: ing with you because I didn't want to look like some creepy stalker. :D

That's for sure! I should know that by now.:)

Even having a SOF doesn't keep people from being exclusionary INSIDE the group or mean that everyone in the group actually agrees on things, how they came to the conclusion of the statement, or how the statement affects their practice in daily life. I belonged to one of those groups. It was the only homeschooling group in the area and advertised as "Christian". A friend of mine had told me of an LDS mama that wanted to join and also pulled the, "if they want a group, they can start their own" bit.

Yet, there were people that were in the group that didn't really feel a part of it...either because they were too "liberal" in practice (gasp, girls wore shirts with writing on it!) or were too "conservative" in practice (gasp, they only wear skirts AND headcoverings!) or weren't socio-economically middle class like the majority, or weren't the right "colour" and who knows where those people came from (they might be military, but heaven forbid they come from "that" town that everyone avoids), etc. That was my impression of being there. Honestly, I avoided "christian" homeschool groups when we moved because of it. We belong to an "inclusive group" (it truly is and I love the head of the group who is pagan, but extremely respectful of other faiths) and to a Catholic group. We haven't participated this year, but we know they are there and are comfortable with them.

Of course there is a commonality. The commonality is being a follower of Christ.

Does the other stuff really matter? When it is all said and done what is the one thing Christians all believe? What is the one thing all Christians can tell God at the gates of Heaven? "I believe you sent your Son to be my Lord and Savior." Period. That is the most basic of what all Christians believe.

See, that stuff does matter to me. Because I see a follower of Christ as one who follows what He actually taught about Himself not what he makes up about Him.:confused:

And, I guess I do consider myself a theologian (defined loosely, not that I have some official qualification) because I want to know what God reveals about Himself. Sure, there are things that don't directly affect our salvation but if it's a topic addressed in the Scripture it's not a trapping. It's important or it wouldn't be in there.;)

No. I don't think it matters at all. But, some people might want a distinctive park/field trip group and I just don't get why others feel that that's offensive.

I just don't understand why people feel it's necessary under those circumstances. I really don't.

I also don't get why some people feel that those who want a distinctive group are narrow minded and don't want their families mingling with anyone else.:confused:

If they want a distinctive group and exclude everything out side of that distinctive group, how are they giving an impression they DO want their families mingling with other people?

I'm a part of a hs group that has a statement of faith. I didn't found the group and I didn't write the statement but it's there. That doesn't mean I live an exclusive life. On the contrary. I hang out with, love, respect, etc. all kinds of people who don't believe or live the way I do.

If your kids are regularly exposed to people of all walks of life, why do you (or people in your group in general, if not YOU) need a wall of protection around this one area?

Christian = someone who believes in Jesus Christ and tries to follow His teachings

Unicorns, triune God, pants on women, infant baptism, no baptism, faith, works, etc. are all outside of the basic definition of what a Christian is.

So, YES a person who believes in and does his/her best to follow Jesus is a Christian, whether or not he/she holds other beliefs that I personally do not.

See, that stuff does matter to me. Because I see a follower of Christ as one who follows what He actually taught about Himself not what he makes up about Him.:confused:

I think I understand this.

And, I guess I do consider myself a theologian (defined loosely, not that I have some official qualification) because I want to know what God reveals about Himself. Sure, there are things that don't directly affect our salvation but if it's a topic addressed in the Scripture it's not a trapping. It's important or it wouldn't be in there.;)

Again, another person who I'm going to have to agree to disagree with. Otherwise we will get no where.

Don't get me wrong, I don't think these things are unimportant. Again, if they weren't important there would still be one church.

I just don't understand why people feel it's necessary under those circumstances. I really don't.

I know you don't understand it but why does that make it rude or offensive?

If they want a distinctive group and exclude everything out side of that distinctive group, how are they giving an impression they DO want their families mingling with other people?

Because a park day/field trip group is not their sole exposure to the world. If my friend spends two hours a week at her Jewish Synagogue, I don't assume that means she doesn't want her family mingling with other people.:confused:

If your kids are regularly exposed to people of all walks of life, why do you (or people in your group in general, if not YOU) need a wall of protection around this one area?

Let's see...I drove my son to his world civ class at the local public community college this morning. My daughter is sitting on the couch with her laptop from which she just read me part of an essay she's writing in which she quotes Eminem. I don't think that makes me come across as someone who is trying to protect her kids from the world.

I also don't see a SOF (I'm not saying that this is true for everyone, though_ as a "wall of protection" at all. It's more of a way of saying, "Hey, this is what you can expect from us when we gather for a specific purpose."

I'm not denying that some people are trying to protect their kids from the "evils" of the world but not every group with a SOF is doing that. Not. at. all.

Again, another person who I'm going to have to agree to disagree with. Otherwise we will get no where.

Don't get me wrong, I don't think these things are unimportant. Again, if they weren't important there would still be one church.

I am perfectly happy to respectfully agree to disagree.

I think lively discussions that help us hammer out what we believe about anything are profitable and I appreciate the opportunity.:)

I am not against SOF per se even though I don't prefer them. I against having a SOF that one must sign and agree with. I would be cool with a SOF that is an FYI so that potential members realize that this is where the co-op is coming from and will base classes or activities on. My ds's school has a SOF as an FYI to let parents know that the school subscribes to these beliefs and I am A-OK with it:D

Yeah, any Christian who holds beliefs that differ from yours are just "making it up". They couldn't possibly have a different interpretation of His word, could they? No, they are all delusional, misguided fools who only think they are Christians. :001_rolleyes:

Can't you see how the whole "I'm a Christian because I believe ABCD and you're not a Christian because you believe DEFGH" attitude is offensive?

I'm not denying that some people are trying to protect their kids from the "evils" of the world but not every group with a SOF is doing that. Not. at. all.

:iagree: The point of contention thought is Christian homeschoolers excluding other Christians homeschoolers with an SOF. Not all Christian homeschool SOFs are saying "this is what we believe and we want you to be aware of it." They are instead saying, "this is what we believe and if you don't believe it too you are not welcome."

If I tried to join the Bangor Christian Homeschoolers and I had to sign a SOF that says ...I believe the Bible to be the sole authority..." I couldn't sign so I couldn't join.

Now if the Bangor Christian Homeschoolers have an SOF that say "As a new member please beware that we teach the Bible to be the sole authority..." Yes, then I could sign that, keep my mouth shut when the subject is brought up and happily go along with with the group for the discounted membership rate to the Children's museum.

Part of the problem with this WHOLE discussion is that we are all talking at cross-purposes. Everyone has had different experiences with regard to groups who have a SOF.

I am not against SOF per se even though I don't prefer them. I against having a SOF that one must sign and agree with. I would be cool with a SOF that is an FYI so that potential members realize that this is where the co-op is coming from and will base classes or activities on. My ds's school has a SOF as an FYI to let parents know that the school subscribes to these beliefs and I am A-OK with it:D

Yeah, any Christian who holds beliefs that differ from yours are just "making it up". They couldn't possibly have a different interpretation of His word, could they? No, they are all delusional, misguided fools who only think they are Christians. :001_rolleyes:

Can't you see how the whole "I'm a Christian because I believe ABCD and you're not a Christian because you believe DEFGH" attitude is offensive?

Wow! Did I say that? Where did I ever say that someone who holds ideas different than mine are making it up?:confused:

Never. NEVER did I call anyone a misguided, delusional fool! NEVER!

Personally, I was trying to have a conversation and I was attempting to have a common definition on which to converse.

That is not what she is saying. If you read the whole conversation between the two of us about Jesus coming from Neptue you'll get the reference.