Menu

I'm at the closing stages of my Masters. Actually counseling people

I am in the middle of my first of 3 practicums before gradaution.

I am providing counseling at a wellness center/rehabilitation center/nursing home. It's a great, humbling, infuriating, wonderful, challenging lesson in real world counseling work. I'm having to work on site but through a third party providing services through medicaid and medicare. The beauracracy is a nightmare. Client needs, paperwork, rules and facility functioning are often in conflict. :tongue_smilie:

But! Just being in relationship with the clients = therapeutic for most of them. This population stretches me professionally. We aren't *quite* taught in our Masters program how to counsel aphaisic people, dementia persons, severely schizophrenic persons.

It is a blessing. I will probably "move on" for the next practicum (this summer) but it is awesome being where I am clinically and educationally.

That's great! Enjoy your time there, because there's nothing else like it.

I work in a hospital that has an acute care behavioral health unit, and when I'm not there, I get to go to other areas of the hospital to talk with patients who want a counselor or who need to be evaluated for possible cognitive issues. The rehab unit is my favorite! There are people there from all walks of life, dealing with issues like stroke, car accident, general debility and loss of independence, Wernicke-Korsakoff Syndrome, dementia, etc. There's something different every day, and you get to see them improve just a little each day.

The beauracracy is a nightmare. Client needs, paperwork, rules and facility functioning are often in conflict. :tongue_smilie:

But! Just being in relationship with the clients = therapeutic for most of them. This population stretches me professionally. We aren't *quite* taught in our Masters program how to counsel aphaisic people, dementia persons, severely schizophrenic persons.

I think I learned more in my practicums than in anything else. Use them to go outside your comfort zone, and work with populations you hadn't considered. You won't be sorry.

Wow, that was fast! Well, probably not to you!:D

Continued encouragement sent your way...

I started fall of 2009 and will graduate fall (well, December) of 2011. I then have to take (and pass!) a National Counseling Exam. After that, I can seek paid work as a therapist, but I have to complete 3000 supervised hours for each designation (LPC and LMFT, eventually LCDC) as an "intern". We can't drop the "intern" status until those hours are complete. That takes a miniimum of 18 months and up to 5 years.

Awesome!!!! Dh is just starting out on his long psych degree trek :tongue_smilie:.

Good luck to him!

I'm thinking of Psychology Doctorate. However, I'm tied to here geographically for a while, so I might have to settle for a Ph. D. of some sort counseling related.

Good luck to him!

I'm thinking of Psychology Doctorate. However, I'm tied to here geographically for a while, so I might have to settle for a Ph. D. of some sort counseling related.

Ooh, go for it!! Dh is hoping to get into one of the grad programs that fast-tracks from a BS to the PhD or PsyD. He has to finish this BS first though (in his second semester) :lol:.

I love to hear how wonderful things are going. What a rewarding job you have! Exhausting but rewarding.

We went into a therapist last week because my ds is having serious issues and I'm certain he's going to be diagnosed with a mental illness. After hearing of everything that's going on, her words were, "What a mess. I don't even know if I want to get involved with this one." She's obviously someone who has been doing this a long time and is burnt out or simply doesn't care, and she's someone that needs to retire.

Good therapists are extremely hard to find. I sure hope we can get one for my son!

Keep up the good work, Joanne!

Congratulations! That's very exciting!

I have to complete 3000 supervised hours for each designation (LPC and LMFT, eventually LCDC) as an "intern". We can't drop the "intern" status until those hours are complete. That takes a miniimum of 18 months and up to 5 years.

I've always wondered how this works. Do you hire someone as a supervisor and pay him or her for the supervision?

Good luck to you as you continue!

Cat

Congratulations! That's very exciting!

I've always wondered how this works. Do you hire someone as a supervisor and pay him or her for the supervision?

Good luck to you as you continue!

Cat

Yes, you hire someone and pay an agreed rate. If you happen to find an internship at a center/facility/agency that has an LPC-Supervisor or LMFT-Supervisor, you don't have to pay. If you work in a setting without one, you need to hire one. You'll have a couple of "bosses" for the internship period, but the hired off site supervisor isn't involved in your daily stuff, usually.