Menu

Where to go after Saxon Alg. 1?

Dd will finish Saxon Alg. 1 by the end of the school year. What is the correct math sequence nowadays for a college-bound student? When I went to school, I had Alg. 2 in 9th, Geom in 10th, Trig in 11th and College Alg. in 12th. Should dd go on to Alg. 2, then Geo and then? Ugh. And what to use for Geom? Jacobs? Chalk Dust? Does saxon have a new Geometry program out? Sorry for all the Qs but I am trying to plan ahead. Thanks.

Saxon does have a Geometry book if you prefer to take that route. However, like Holly was saying, if your student completes Saxon Alg 1, Alg 2 and half of Advanced Math, that would be enough for a full Geometry credit. I have heard some say they took two years to go through the Advanced Math book.

You can do a separate year of geometry, but it's not at all necessary. Geometry is fully incorporated into the algebra I, algebra II and advanced math. A separate geometry course will get into more complex proofs, but it's not necessary. I would use the above three and then go to statistics, or calculus.

(Saxon does have a separate geometry course, but it's not necessary to do this or any other separate geometry text.)

You can do a separate year of geometry' date=' but it's not at all necessary. Geometry is fully incorporated into the algebra I, algebra II and advanced math. A separate geometry course will get into more complex proofs, but it's not necessary. I would use the above three and then go to statistics, or calculus.

(Saxon does have a separate geometry course, but it's not necessary to do this or any other separate geometry text.)[/quote']

If you are trying to prepare a child for the PSAT, is there any way to get the geometry needed sooner than going a separate geometry route? I just worry that if I stick to the Saxon sequence he won't do very well on the test. :confused:

If you are trying to prepare a child for the PSAT, is there any way to get the geometry needed sooner than going a separate geometry route? I just worry that if I stick to the Saxon sequence he won't do very well on the test. :confused:

I know that this is a worry for some, but my son took the PSAT as a 10th grader after only completely Saxon Alg. 1 and about 35 lessons into Alg. 2. He did just fine on the PSAT.

Thank you! I might just get a Geometry supplement for next year in prep for PSATs. I will make note of this schedule. Does the Key to series have Geometry? Or would LoF be a good supplement? Just curious. She tolerates Saxon and we continue with it b/c it is a solid program but it might be fun to change it up a bit with some LoF or Key to. KWIM?

Thank you! I might just get a Geometry supplement for next year in prep for PSATs. I will make note of this schedule. Does the Key to series have Geometry? Or would LoF be a good supplement? Just curious. She tolerates Saxon and we continue with it b/c it is a solid program but it might be fun to change it up a bit with some LoF or Key to. KWIM?

Yes there is a Geometry set in the Key to series. I was actually going to look into the Key to Geometry series to use after dd finishes Saxon Alg 2. I was wondering if this, in combination with Saxon Alg 1 and 2, would be enough for a full Geometry credit. DD is not going into a field that will require higher math, so we really were not wanting to tackle Saxon Advanced math. In fact, for her last year of high school, she would like to take a consumer math course, like the one that BJU offers.

Ok...just read this thread about the Key to Geometry series. So not taking this route. :tongue_smilie: Doesn't sound like it would be enough for test prep either.

Edited by atozmom
added thread link

The PSAT and the SAT don't contain any proofs, but they do contain a lot of the geometry. You'll have most of what you need at the end of Algebra II. Advanced Math has some geometry which will help with the SAT. So if you're completing Algebra II in 10th, you should be fine for the PSAT in Oct. of 11th grade. It's a good idea to work with test prep books no matter where you are in math before taking the tests.

That is a good idea...test prep books. Thanks for the Key to series thread..don't think we will go that route. I might look into LoF. I doubt dd will go into a career that needs advance math but I want her options to be wide open. We will also take a finance class (Dave Ramsey or Burkett) through MFW if we stick with that program through high school.