Menu

Anyone have Verizon Internet?

I'll be getting a laptop next week, so we would like to buy a router.

We have a Westell 6100G modem, which everywhere online says it is a modem/router combo, and when I get into "My Network" settings, I can change it from PPPoE to Bridge, which I thought only modem/router combos could do.

I called customer service, told him that we had a Westell 6100G modem and asked if it was a modem/router combo, and he automatically said no and that he would directly me to billing.

I hung up before I got a hold of billing, because I don't want to buy a router at the moment.

I'm wondering if he just said that because he wanted me to buy something? It may sound paranoid, but why would everywhere online say is is a combo, and I can even change it to bridge mode, but it isn't a combo.

I'm confused. If it is only a modem, how do I know what router to buy? Can I buy any router? Also, the desktop uses Windows Vista while the laptop will have Windows 7 Home Premium already installed. Does that make a difference?

I'm just confused.

Any help?

Thanks.

I have verizon.

I spent hours on the phone with them, every week for months, trying to get it all to keep working. It would shut off on its own, and take hours on w their tech support to get it working again.

They sent me another new modem. Still prblems.

Finally, after me badgering them enough, they sent me a new modem/router at their cost. KEEP NAGGING THEM. Squeaky wheel...

I can get you the model number I have, it has worked perfectly since installation almost a year ago. Never had to call them since!

I have verizon.

I spent hours on the phone with them, every week for months, trying to get it all to keep working. It would shut off on its own, and take hours on w their tech support to get it working again.

They sent me another new modem. Still prblems.

Finally, after me badgering them enough, they sent me a new modem/router at their cost. KEEP NAGGING THEM. Squeaky wheel...

I can get you the model number I have, it has worked perfectly since installation almost a year ago. Never had to call them since!

This was my experience as well. Squeak, pester, nag, squeak...

We aren't having any issues. I was just calling to see if our modem also had a built in router.

It doesn't have any antennas though, so maybe I just have the older one.

We're just going to buy a $30 router along with the laptop. Every time we do call Verizon, they never know what they're talking about and it just drags everything end because I get connected to different departments.

It wasn't really that big of a deal, I just don't know how he could tell me that our modem wasn't a combo when online it says the newer ones are, but he didn't ask what year (I have no clue anyways) or log onto our network to check or anything. Just automatically said "no".

I think the newer routers should be fine, ours was just older. I think pretty much any one you get will be alright. And, we had one computer running 7 and one on Vista, too.

Thanks. I purchased a D-Link Router that should be here at the same time or soon after the laptop arrives. I found a site that mentioned the D-Link working well with the Westell 6100G (of course, can't find it now). It also had the best reviews for $30. We got the router in late '09, about October or so, so I'm hoping it is one of the newer models. Plus, we have Vonage, so I was sitting here at 11pm trying to figure out how everything would connect. I was tired, and it made no sense how they could all connect to each other, plus connect to the computer, PLUS connect to the outside line. I woke up this morning and it automatically made sense :lol:

Thanks!