Menu

My egg-allergic daughter is now reacting to Hersheys chocolate...

So, my daughter has a very serious egg allergy, but nothing else until this week. She is 8.5

She had a Hersheys chocolate bar (one of those little bite-sized ones) last week, and immediately broke out in severe itching on her cheeks, and redness. I thought it was a fluke.

But yesterday, she was given another one and a Hershey's Kiss, and as soon as she ate them, the same thing, only this time it was worse, with some hives around her mouth.

I want to cry! Chocolate? Is it just Hersheys, or all chocolate?

I am seriously sad that along with the egg allergy (and eggs are hidden in so many foods, that she can't eat out, at friends houses, etc, and I bake all our own baked goods) she will have to give up chocolae, too?

Just sad.

Anyone else have a chocolate problem?

Check ingredients for the specific items. I'm intolerant to the newer emulsifier called PGPR, which is found in some Hershey's products. Keep in mind that the mini bar ingredients may not be the same as the ingredients for the full-size bar.

If you decide to try chocolate again, look for Enjoy Life brand, as that won't have cross contamination w/ any of the top 8. Health food stores and some regular grocery stores carry both chips and bars.

I had an allergy to chocolate from the time I was six until I finally rebelled against it at 13. I ate a mini-bag of M&Ms and I was fine from then until now. Not sure if that's good news or not. :glare:

A chocolate allergy really isn't awful. Of course, it did mean an Easter basket full of nasty, waxy, white chocolate for years (it was the 70s...I'm sure white chocolate has improved), but other than that....I just knew not to eat it. So, I skipped out on chocolate birthday cake at parties, etc. etc., but really....no biggie. She'll adjust just fine. And, when she wants that bag of M&Ms at 13....let her have it. :D

If you decide to try chocolate again, look for Enjoy Life brand, as that won't have cross contamination w/ any of the top 8. Health food stores and some regular grocery stores carry both chips and bars.

:iagree:

My dh has a lot of food allergies and sensitivities and this brand has been a savior for his sweet tooth. :001_smile:

I would contact Hershey and see if they've changed their production lines, recently, and explain your situation. Often, companies want this kind of information.

And, if you feel it would be safe, I would allow dd to try a full-sized bar, just to find out if it's the way the mini's are processed.

We also LOVE Enjoy Life. Lots of yummy, safe options there, but you may not need to go that route, just yet.

:grouphug: It stinks to have a kid with food allergies.

I had an allergy to chocolate from the time I was six until I finally rebelled against it at 13. I ate a mini-bag of M&Ms and I was fine from then until now. Not sure if that's good news or not. :glare:

A chocolate allergy really isn't awful. Of course, it did mean an Easter basket full of nasty, waxy, white chocolate for years (it was the 70s...I'm sure white chocolate has improved), but other than that....I just knew not to eat it. So, I skipped out on chocolate birthday cake at parties, etc. etc., but really....no biggie. She'll adjust just fine. And, when she wants that bag of M&Ms at 13....let her have it. :D

White chocolate still contains cocoa butter. Wouldn't it also cause a reaction?

For the longest time we thought our ds was allergic to chocolate, but it turns out he is allergic to nuts and Hershey bars have a cross-contamination with nuts. He recently found he could eat Dove chocolates, though, and he is thrilled.

Brenda

I've had some issues with Hershey's labelling, so I'd ask them whether cross-contamination is a possibility (though if it happened with more than one Hershey product, it would seem to be something in the chocolate?). Once I almost bought a bag of mini-bars based on the allergen list, until I spotted the Goodbars inside. Peanuts were not listed in the allergen list, though they were listed in the smaller-print ingredients on the bag.

White chocolate still contains cocoa butter. Wouldn't it also cause a reaction?

No idea...but it didn't. I broke out like crazy in hives whenever I ate regular chocolate in any form....Oreos, chocolate ice cream, chocolate syrup, chocolate candy. Maybe in the 1970s all that nasty white stuff was just parrafin with vanilla flavoring. That's what it tasted like, anyway. :lol: