Menu

Pipes froze, pipes burst, water off.

This is going to be a huge monstrous mess. The pipes in the girl bathroom froze and burst, the ones in the master bedroom have frozen too. I think in order to fix the girl bathroom we are going to have to rip out a wall, because they have a whirlpool tub that will not fit through the door and of course the leak is under the tub.

We're still trying to thaw out our bathroom to see how bad it is. We still have the mud bathroom and the boys bathroom, but can't use them either because the water is all off anyhow. And besides, I'd rather go two miles down the road to grandma's or our empty farmhouse than use the boy bathroom.

And to top it all off, water off at the house means water off at the chicken house and the barn too. I've already been hauling water from the barn to the pasture for the horses, now I'm in deep poop.

Ugh. I'm so sorry. We had a pipe freeze and burst here a couple weeks ago, and it was the only time I was happy to have a dirt cellar... I discovered the leak when I could smell damp earth in my kitchen.

Now, I am leaving the water dripping at all the faucets if the temps go below 35. Dh thinks I'm crazy, but I don't want to go without water or without those few hundred dollars. ;)

:grouphug: I am so sorry to hear, what a mess! We had our pipies freeze and burst in the loft where the water heater was located (think Victorian town home in the UK) while we were away during the New Year's vacation many years ago and we were finally able to move back mid March. I hope you can get everything back to order much more quickly!

We (I) have been obsessive about leaving the trickling water and running space heaters in the upstairs bath since one of our pipes froze. :glare: Stupid builder!

I so feel your pain, as Ii lived through a similar plumbing/repair nightmare 5 years ago!! What a horrid thing to have happen!

Sending good wishes your way!

Since you know you are going to have to do some plumbing work, can you slice into the pipes at the proper cut off junctions and cap those lines that go to the damaged areas? Then you could keep water going to the boy bathroom and rest of the house and more importantly - to the chickens and horses? Or could you just cap the whole house off entirely and reroute to the out buildings?

If you do turn the water off to the house, be sure to leave the faucets in the working sinks in the "on" position and if possible, drain the lines by running water from the faucet that is physically lowest of all after you turn the water off. That way, currently undamaged lines will not be as likely to freeze if there is less water in them and it has some option for coming out as it is warming up rather that damaging pipes or flowing out line splits into other areas of the house.

A few years ago our barn line froze as did the one to my mother's house next door. Dh proclaimed repeatedly and with great gusto, "Just one more old nag I have to haul water to." Dm was not amused.:glare: