Menu

Which Sonlight readers after Abeka K

ByGrace3

I assume we will need the Sonlight readers 1 . . . but am just unsure reading the descriptions. Anyone have any experience with this? It is hard to know since we are not finished with the year so I have no idea where she really will be. She is tracking fine and reading well (on target with the lesson we are on (lesson 93 I believe) not ahead or behind, so I imagine she will be on target at the end of the year as well. thoughts? thanks!

We were given/found most of the readers for both Sonlight 1 & 2. My ds did Abeka K last year and right now he is reading all books from Sonlight 2. I'm not saying that's what I recommend, just that's where we are. If *you* are just putting books together, I'd do a sampling of both. My son asked to start reading The Beginner's Bible (Sonlight 2) at the beginning of this year, so he was able to read it pretty shortly after finishing Abeka K and starting Abeka 1. (I do have to help him with words occasionally.) We ended up skipping most of the Sonlight 1 readers because he was past them. If your daughter shows any hesitancy with reading, I'd do the level 1. We have not had any of that here and he also hasn't had any frustration. Also, this is assuming you are continuing on with Abeka 1.

Just my $.02.

thanks! Would you say your son was reading on level with Abeka K when he finished, or ahead? My dd is doing fine, we just added long vowels this week and she is certainly not breezing though, but I would say she it on level with it. I guess I just feel like we still have about 76 lessons of phonics this year so she will be much further along than she is now so I am finding it hard to place her. Looking at the end of the phonics lessons, it looks like readers 2 might very well be an option. Plus we have a summer of reading ahead of us . . . I am hoping to buy a core.

Gosh. {thinking, here.} He might have been a little ahead in his reading for finishing the program. (I really hate to ever label my kids as ahead...of course I always think they are doing great, lol!) But, yes, I think he may have been. But not by a ton.

Okay, here's another thing to think about. Almost half of the Core 1 reader package is those I Can Read Books. If she finished Abeka K, on level, she will have NO problem reading those. IMO, they are equivalent to the Abeka K final readers. What if you bought the Core 2 readers and then if she wasn't ready, just get the Core 1 readers from the library? You might even have some of them - a lot of the Dr. Seuss books. Just a thought to consider.

Okay, here's another thing to think about. Almost half of the Core 1 reader package is those I Can Read Books. If she finished Abeka K, on level, she will have NO problem reading those. IMO, they are equivalent to the Abeka K final readers. What if you bought the Core 2 readers and then if she wasn't ready, just get the Core 1 readers from the library? You might even have some of them - a lot of the Dr. Seuss books. Just a thought to consider.

I think this is a good idea. I have went through Readers 1 and 2 Reg now. I think buy the 2 Reg package, and if too much, mix in the other 1 level readers. There aren't many of them after the I Can Read It books, and they are available in many librarys, Seuss, Little Bear, A Fly Went By (love this one!) We really enjoyed The Best Trick, and my early 1st grader flew through this one quickly at the beginning of the year.

If it helps, my DD6 is reading Tip Toes from A Beka now fluently. We haven't tried the other readers. I think she could read them, but it would be a stretch, and I'm all for reading below level part of the time, at level part, then stretching for a bit, not all stretching. :001_smile: