Menu

The Story of Science...

Yet another question......

Do any of you incorporate The Story of Science into your history studies? If so, how do you plan/schedule it out? Do you read it straight through or do you have dc read the chapters that coordinate with the history lesson?

TIA. Really.

I do and I co-ordinate with history. I don't have an exact schedule. I just sort of eyeball it and pull it in for outlining or narration when it seems to fit. We are in the ancient history year of the cycle and so far, there hasn't been much call for the first book. However, that will be changing this spring. FWIW, my 10 year old son enjoys the book very much.

I can totally see how reading it in pieces would cause me to forget to use it again unless I deliberately schedule it in. Right now I'm surrounded by all the history resources I've amassed in an attempt to actually try planning this beast called logic stage history :D. I know, it's February, but better late than never. I figured since we're starting on Greece, it'd be a good a time as any now. I've made some good progress although it definitely doesn't look like it!

Well, you will want to have a couple weeks to play catch up with the book. The first couple chapters are not about Greece. It starts with a bit of an overview and then spends some time in Egypt.

I guess it could be hard to remember to pick it up again but I did ok. We did the first couple chapters while I was doing Egyptian history and I could see that Hakim was headed fast and furious to Greece. So, I just figured we would go back then. I don't think my son will have any problems with it but I can see how some kids might not like a appearing/disappearing book.

• 2 weeks later...

I know this is completely NOT what you asked, but... I am incorporating it as extra reading for my 8th grader along with his science. The plan is to have him read all three books a few chapters a week as additional reading along with his "Awakening Wonder/Prentice Hall Science Explorer" Physical Science studies. (I do not require any "Story of Science" activities - just the reading).

He has been enjoying the science-to-history connections and has been commenting on these various connections. Just another way to implement it and to bring those cross curriculum subjects together.

Have fun with these books - I find them facinating.

I am incorporating it as extra reading for my 8th grader along with his science. The plan is to have him read all three books a few chapters a week as additional reading along with his "Awakening Wonder/Prentice Hall Science Explorer" Physical Science studies. (I do not require any "Story of Science" activities - just the reading).

This makes a lot of sense to me. In my OP, I was leaning towards using as part of our history studies, but originally I had thought to use it along dd's science class (which we outsourced this year).