Menu

Can we talk exercise and weight loss?

Hi all,

I am working hard to shed off some unwanted weight and it seems that I need to make some changes. Now, I am doing this for about 2 months. Here is the scope:

I walk 5 or 6 days a week. I use treadmill at 3.5 incline with a constant speed of 4.2 mph. I do this for 45 minutes. I am doing once a week mat pilates class, and at home I also do a bit of strength training on a daily basis. Mostly targeting arms and abs. I am not using heavy weights for that (5lbs each), as I want to burn fat and not build bulk muscle.

Ok, so at this pace, I want to shed about 15 - 20 lbs, and was thinking that I can achieve this in about 6 months. Is this possible? The weight comes out slowly for me. Easy on, hard off. :001_huh:

My diet is not all that fat. I am vegetarian. Eat plenty produce (fruits, veggies), and consume some snacks such as gluten free pretzels, baked chips, etc. Not an absurd amount either. My diet is normally at around 1200 - 1400 calories per day of intake. My treadmill calculates my workout at about 450 calories. I would think that I am burning enough to loose at least 1 lb a week, but not always so.

Anyone her can help me figure this out? I certainly want to build a strong core; shedding the weight will help me get there too.

Thanks. Be well

Miriam

It is really hard, people lose weight in such different ways. My friend did Medifast and the weight flew off her. I did it for the same amount of time and only lost about 1/4 of the weight that she did.

I am one of those people that takes a long time to lose weight, I have just had to embrace that. Eating right and exercise will get you there in the long run, it just might take awhile.

I have found that I eat right and exercise to maintain in between bouts of weight loss, I don't really lose that way. For me, I found the HCG diet works the best. I will take 10 pounds off with that, and then maintain for a couple months, then do it again. It has taken me 15 months to lose 45 pounds, but I feel that they are not coming back.

Good luck

Nicole

I don't know how tall you are or how much you weigh, but it could be possible that you are not eating enough calories to lose weight. Counter-intuitive, I know, but I've read that this happens to many people.

Also, you may want to experiment with intervals in your training rather than always doing 45 minutes at a steady pace. Sadly, our bodies adjust very quickly to exercise habits and then don't burn as many calories.

Regarding weights, I really don't think you need to worry about building bulky muscles - very few women do that, even when they lift far heavier weights! I would consider increasing your weight lifting (in a slow & appropriate rate), but always allow your body to rest at least one day between liftings. IOW, lift no more than 3 times/week.

Hang in there - it's frustrating sometimes, but it's a journey worth taking!!

:auto:

Anne

I don't know how tall you are or how much you weigh, but it could be possible that you are not eating enough calories to lose weight. Counter-intuitive, I know, but I've read that this happens to many people.

Also, you may want to experiment with intervals in your training rather than always doing 45 minutes at a steady pace. Sadly, our bodies adjust very quickly to exercise habits and then don't burn as many calories.

Regarding weights, I really don't think you need to worry about building bulky muscles - very few women do that, even when they lift far heavier weights! I would consider increasing your weight lifting (in a slow & appropriate rate), but always allow your body to rest at least one day between liftings. IOW, lift no more than 3 times/week.

Hang in there - it's frustrating sometimes, but it's a journey worth taking!!

:auto:

I guess that the number of variable are such that it is nearly impossible to make a good prediction. I know I need to increase the weights are they are too easy at this point. I was doing some running, but stopped it as I was actually putting weight on. I know it is muscle, but still, I want to see the numbers go down not up. Frustrating indeed, but I am keeping a healthy and positive attitude.

Anne

I don't exercise and am losing weight steadily by just changing my diet. Not that I'm suggesting you stop exercising. It's just that it is hard to say what will work for you at what rate. I don't think your goal is totally unrealistic assuming the 20 pounds is weight you need to lose (not that you want to lose 20 pounds to go from an average healthy weight to Hollywood thin). If you are just above where you need to be, that might make things slower too. If you have a lot of weight to lose, you should easily drop 20 pounds in that time.

So it really depends on too many factors to tell for sure. And the whole calories in and out thing isn't as easy as it sounds either.

I am totally happy for you. I did consider just make further adjustments to my diet, however the exercise does make me feel good. I normally am up and going at 5am and my day is just so much better when I exercise in the morning. For one thing, there is not much left of me after the children are in bed. Morning it is.

I am not trying to be Hollywood thin, trust me. Right now and I at 145lbs, and am 5'3. I know that I am not obese by any stretch, a bit overweight yes, not that much. The weight I want to loose is to maintain a healthy lifestyle. I guess that since I do not have a lot of weight to shed, the amount I want to shed will be harder... Oh well.

Thanks for the replies and support

I was this way when I first started working out hard three years ago. I started out walking and running and lost almost NO weight. It was so frustrating. I didn't actually lose the weight until I started counting EVERY calorie I put in my mouth. I started counting calories and putting them into an on line calculator. I was amazed. I was eating a lot more than I thought I was. It was then that my weight came off - pretty fast too! But, I wasn't toned at ALL!

Now I've switched to a very intense workout program. I am not losing more weight (I don't need to), but the inches are flying off. Everything is toning up. I found my body needs that intense workout to get the shape I want!

Is that happening for you? Are you losing inches? My sis loses inches, but not weight.

Good luck!

I don't think the calorie counter on your treadmill can accurately count calories burned. You'll need a special heart rate monitor to that. Lots of people seem to like the BodyBug.

Your goal is attainable. If your diet is sound, you may have to exercise harder. Like dropping on the floor harder.

There are some ladies here that are getting good results with intense exercise.

BTW, Jennifer in MI and I are using Insanity.

I was this way when I first started working out hard three years ago. I started out walking and running and lost almost NO weight. It was so frustrating. I didn't actually lose the weight until I started counting EVERY calorie I put in my mouth. I started counting calories and putting them into an on line calculator. I was amazed. I was eating a lot more than I thought I was. It was then that my weight came off - pretty fast too! But, I wasn't toned at ALL!

Now I've switched to a very intense workout program. I am not losing more weight (I don't need to), but the inches are flying off. Everything is toning up. I found my body needs that intense workout to get the shape I want!

Is that happening for you? Are you losing inches? My sis loses inches, but not weight.

Good luck!

If I may ask, how much calorie you are consuming on a daily basis? Of course each one will have different needs, but I just want to have an idea.

I lost several inches and my clothing are witness to that. I also lost some weight, but not at the pace I would like to see. I guess I need to work harder! :001_smile:

I don't think the calorie counter on your treadmill can accurately count calories burned. You'll need a special heart rate monitor to that. Lots of people seem to like the BodyBug.

Your goal is attainable. If your diet is sound, you may have to exercise harder. Like dropping on the floor harder.

Thanks for the support and ideas. I will check on the monitor and also the program you are using. May be the way to go!

Thanks again. be well

Pardon me, did you purchase the videos? I would love to get them from a library first to give it a try. did you do that?

Thanks.

If I may ask, how much calorie you are consuming on a daily basis? Of course each one will have different needs, but I just want to have an idea.

I lost several inches and my clothing are witness to that. I also lost some weight, but not at the pace I would like to see. I guess I need to work harder! :001_smile:

Great job! Yea - that happened to me at first too. I lost inches off my chest and not around my middle! I'd had four kids - I needed to lose the inches off my middle! Honestly, I was training for a marathon and the inches STILL did not come off in the places I wanted them to! I didn't push myself when training by myself. It's taking this totally insane workout (Insanity!). I am left totally whipped - like on the floor whipped! Have you seen the commercials for it? You can get an idea of what it's like. They must have one on line - I'm sure LG can give you links. She's a coach!

Right now, I'm eating around 1500 − 1600 calories/day. Occasionally, I'll have more. I'm really not hungry eating that many. But, each person is going to be a lot different, of course!

Wow Jennifer, that made me feel better. I am not training for a marathon or anything like that, but would certainly be in disbelief to see nothing come out. I will check a bit more on the options and hope to find something that works for me. Do you mind sharing with me how you got into that and how hard it was for you to get the hang of it?

Rosie, maybe I am one of them, and that is rather frustrating as I do enjoy working out. Maybe I just need to take a bit easier.

Thanks all. Be well

Miriam

Just a thought, but would you be willing to measure your progress by size rather than weight? Some people find that what with replacing fat with muscle, they can drop a dress size or even 2 without actually losing any weight (owing to muscle tissue being heavier than fat tissue).

Also, I don't believe that theoretical "ideal" weights are very useful for most people, because there's just so much variation between individuals. I haven't even bothered to weight myself for probably a year - I'm just aiming to get to a size where I feel/look good, and that won't necessarily be at the same weight as another woman with my height and build.

Wrt your comment about weight coming off slowly, don't forget that slow weight loss is healthier and more likely to be sustainable, while very quick weight loss is a shock to the body and very unlikely to stay off. So although 1lb every week or two seems like very slow progress, it's safe and less likely to lead to "yoyo-ing".