Menu

3 cans of Salmon...what to do with them?

Salmon cakes are yummy like the previous person said. You could make salmon casserole instead of tuna casserole. You could mix salmon with mayo and any spices you choose and have salmon salad on bread, toast or crackers.

Salmon cakes sound real yummy right now. Maybe I should go eat lunch!

Salmon salad (like tuna salad or egg salad).

Salmon with zucchini and peppers and onions and medium shell pasta and feta cheese.

Salmon with diced tomato, sliced spinach, basil, and perhaps a grain (or not).

Salmon on toast with spinach leaves and pesto.

Salmon on toast with mayo and a sliced tomato.

Salmon with brown rice and veggies and a bit of feta.

I got bad food poisoning once from tuna, so we are a canned salmon family instead.

Ok, so I've never met anyone who liked this (unless they grew up with it), but it's a favorite for me and the kids. Salmon Pie. Use a mixer to blend 1 can of salmon with about 4 cups of mashed potatoes. Put into a double pie crust and bake at 350 for 30 minutes. Serve with ketchup and green peas on top. For authentic salmon pie, use boxed mash potatoes and canned peas. ;)

Ok, so I've never met anyone who liked this (unless they grew up with it), but it's a favorite for me and the kids. Salmon Pie. Use a mixer to blend 1 can of salmon with about 4 cups of mashed potatoes. Put into a double pie crust and bake at 350 for 30 minutes. Serve with ketchup and green peas on top. For authentic salmon pie, use boxed mash potatoes and canned peas. ;)

We have something like that where I grew up in Rhode Island. We have ground pork mixed with mashed potatoes (Pork Pie). Put it between 2 pie crusts and bake. Put ketchup on it. Not exactly good for you, but man it is good when it is cold out!

We have something like that where I grew up in Rhode Island. We have ground pork mixed with mashed potatoes (Pork Pie). Put it between 2 pie crusts and bake. Put ketchup on it. Not exactly good for you, but man it is good when it is cold out!

It's a family recipe from Fall River, Mass. It's definitely a regional thing!

I love the bones straight out of the can. Mmmmm. :001_smile:

I feel very guilty for depriving my family of the valuable nutrients, but I've been known to select out and devour some of the salmon bones to satisfy my own guilty-pleasure :D

Bill (ashamed of himself :tongue_smilie:)

If it's red salmon, my children like it with pasta and peas. You can also mix it with cream cheese and seasonings to make a tasty spread. A squeeze of lemon goes well with either of the above.

If it's pink salmon, I'd make it into patties or a (flattish) loaf with eggs, breadcrumbs, green onion, and maybe horseradish. You can also use this mixture to stuff peppers or other vegetables.

We prefer canned salmon flaked rather than mashed, so I usually separate the skin and bones to one side of the bowl, pulverize them with a fork, then mix them back in. I'd be happy to leave them as is, but some family members object to the texture of the bones. I agree with others that they are much too nutritious to toss. :001_smile:

This recipe for salmon cakes looks good. It calls for fresh salmon but I thought the point of salmon cakes was to use canned. If we are having fresh salmon it is way too expensive here to make into cakes. I will just try it with canned.

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/ina-garten/salmon-cakes-recipe/index.html

Edited by Sis

This recipe for salmon cakes looks good. It calls for fresh salmon but I thought the point of salmon cakes was to use canned. If we are having fresh salmon it is way too expensive here to make into cakes. I will just try it with canned.

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/ina-garten/salmon-cakes-recipe/index.html

That recipe has *GASP* 4 tablespoons of butter plus 1/2 cup of mayonnaise for only 8 oz of salmon. Totally unnecessary.

Bill